Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times

Advertisements

For the life of me, I can't understand what the appeal is of this slow, boring, unimaginative music group. They have a huge following, many people consider them to be their favorite band, and many others who aren't huge fans still like them. Why?

The only thing I can see being appealing about Stink Floyd to some people is that they cater to the drug abuser, so it makes sense drug abusers would be huge fans of Stink Floyd. Otherwise, their music is slow, boring, and melancholy.

Not to mention that their most popular song and biggest hit ever was a complete rip-off of the Bee Gees. (And ironically, most Stink Floyd fans consider the Bee Gees to be 'garbage' - just goes to show you their typical musical prejudice, because when the Bee Gees are repackaged and sold by Stink Floyd then it becomes Stink's biggest hit.)

Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,803 times
Comfortably Numb is like one of my favorite songs ever by any band. Money and Wish You Were Here, and Brain Damage... are great. The rest of their stuff, it just isn't for me.

I don't think Pink Floyd is a bad band at all.... I just do not really get into their style of music. Seems like their songs are way too long, and go off way too long on instrumentals for my preference. However, if people like that, more power to them.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 12,216 times
Post Drugs

It's all about the drugs, I don't know to many people who like Floyd that were not a big acid dropper or pot head. Different types of music for different types of people, that is one reason why we have different sections of music called "genres."

Old 10-16-2009, 02:34 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
People,including myself years ago have mistaken Pink Floyd for a band that promoted drug use. This simply is not true. The old Syd Barret era material may have been to an extent, but the rest of the members were never into drugs. They have come out openly about this. The band made deep and challenging music with consistent themes of isolation and madness. Some of their subject matter was influenced by the mental drug induced decline of former member, Syd Barret but not exclusively. The public, as is the case often did not really get what they were about and this frustrated the band years ago and probably irks all the surviving members today.

I personally prefer the psychadellic material, and the Wall. The more progressive work, I shy away from, but as far as prog rock goes, it is better than other stuff in that genre.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Pink Floyd "The Wall": 23X platinum

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon": 741 consecutive weeks on the Billboard 200 list.

If it's all about the drugs, that's a lot of acid and pot freaks.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:40 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand what the appeal is of this slow, boring, unimaginative music group. They have a huge following, many people consider them to be their favorite band, and many others who aren't huge fans still like them. Why?

The only thing I can see being appealing about Stink Floyd to some people is that they cater to the drug abuser, so it makes sense drug abusers would be huge fans of Stink Floyd. Otherwise, their music is slow, boring, and melancholy.

Not to mention that their most popular song and biggest hit ever was a complete rip-off of the Bee Gees. (And ironically, most Stink Floyd fans consider the Bee Gees to be 'garbage' - just goes to show you their typical musical prejudice, because when the Bee Gees are repackaged and sold by Stink Floyd then it becomes Stink's biggest hit.)
I never heard anybody say that Another Brick In The Wall ripoffs the Bee Gees, although now thinking about it I hear the similarities. I do not know any PF fans who consider the Bee Gees to be garbage. I personally prefer the old 60's pop Beatleesque Bee Gees, but their 70's disco material is also great. As a matter of fact Staying Alive in particular is brilliant.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times
Cool The Floyd ;)

Pink Floyd is one of rock music's most skillfully acclaimed and commercially successful acts.
The Floyd has sold over 200 million albums worldwide including 74.5 million certified albums, cd's ect in the United States alone.

The Floyd released The Dark Side of the Moon in March 1973, and the album was an immediate success, topping the Billboard 200 charts for one week.
It remained on the Billboard 200 charts for 741 weeks (((((fourteen years)))))) which is the longest duration of any album in history. The Dark Side of the Moon is one of Pink Floyd's most popular albums among their loyal fans and music critics and it is ranked as one of the greatest rock albums of all-times.

The Floyd's concerts are by far the best experience to be a part of. Truly unparalleled in all dimensions of a live show. The amazing thing is that you have to repeat this experience in order to get the complete effect of their show.

The sound quality was by far the best I have heard at any of the concerts that I have ever attended. Saw them in 1976 and 1994.

On January17, 1996 ----Pink Floyd were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and 10 years later on November 16,2005----- they were inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame, and presented with an award by Peter Townsend.

Whether you like Pink Floyd's music, in the end, is a bit irrelevant here because The Floyd stands out in a class all of its own and a concert by The Floyd is The Definitive Music Experience.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
As long and windy as my posts can get, there is little i can say that RAZZEL hasn't already covered!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Which PF songs sounds like which BGs song?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Looks like the OP made some real enemys with that silly title. I too agree with Razzle, probably because he is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music