U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM

3,024 posts, read 8,607,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
What are your favorite Genesis songs?

YouTube - Genesis - Abacab
"The Musical Box"
"Supper's Ready"
"Turn it on Again"
"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
"No Son of Mine"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,196,993 times
ANYTHING from Nursery Cryme - Duke
MOST of the material from Abacab - We Can't Dance

My all-time favorite, and IMHO one of the greatest rock instrumentals in history:

YouTube - Genesis - Seconds Out - Los Endos (In Stereo)

Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,069,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
ANYTHING from Nursery Cryme - Duke
MOST of the material from Abacab - We Can't Dance

My all-time favorite, and IMHO one of the greatest rock instrumentals in history:

YouTube - Genesis - Seconds Out - Los Endos (In Stereo)
"Los Endos" is good, but I think the best instrumental Genesis ever did was the second part of "The Cinema Show." I think it's the best keyboard solo in rock history (the one from the "Apocalypse in 9/8" movement of "Supper's Ready" is a close second). Just listen to this masterpiece (Bill Bruford + Phil Collins = amazing):

YouTube - Genesis - Cinema Show (second part) live

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,030,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
"Los Endos" is good, but I think the best instrumental Genesis ever did was the second part of "The Cinema Show." I think it's the best keyboard solo in rock history (the one from the "Apocalypse in 9/8" movement of "Supper's Ready" is a close second). Just listen to this masterpiece (Bill Bruford + Phil Collins = amazing):
Cinema Show! What a perfect way to start the day, I was so busy drumming on the table this AM I got my kid to school late. I'll be humming that all day, thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Status: "If things were normal, the NHL would be starting this month!" (set 17 days ago)

7,769 posts, read 8,704,664 times
I've got a ton although most are from the Phil Collins era: When I was about 3, my dad bought the "We Can't Dance" album and played it all the time, and it got me interested in the groups music.

Anyways some of them include:
Follow you Follow me
Mama
Invisible Touch
That's all
In Too Deep
Congo
Never a Time
Driving the last spike
No Son of Mine(Still don't really understand the song though)
Taking it all too hard
I Can't Dance(Hilarious video IMO)
Hold on my Heart
The Brazilian(instrumental tune)
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Throwing it all Away
Jesus he knows Me
Misunderstanding
No reply at all
Illegal Alien
Just a Job to do
Man on the Corner

My top 3 are "In too Deep" "Never a Time" and "I Can't Dance". There really isnt a Genesis song I dislike and out of the 300+ songs on my iPod, I'd say about 30 of them are Genesis tunes. Good Stuff!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,030,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I've got a ton although most are from the Phil Collins era: When I was about 3, my dad bought the "We Can't Dance" album and played it all the time, and it got me interested in the groups music.
That's the beauty of Genesis. I'm indifferent to the Phil Collins era, though arguably that was their most popular. I still blast all the albums they put out in the "70's.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM

3,024 posts, read 8,607,862 times

YouTube - 01 - The Musical Box | Genesis | Nursery Cryme

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,069,139 times
Did everyone hear the news that Genesis is now officially being inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?! I jumped for joy when I heard the news a few days ago.

So now the only thing I'm wondering about is how the band will perform it's songs at the ceremony. Phil apparently can't drum right now, and it's not clear if Steve or Peter plan to reunite with the rest of the band.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM

10,424 posts, read 46,144,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Did everyone hear the news that Genesis is now officially being inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?! I jumped for joy when I heard the news a few days ago.

So now the only thing I'm wondering about is how the band will perform it's songs at the ceremony. Phil apparently can't drum right now, and it's not clear if Steve or Peter plan to reunite with the rest of the band.
Bout time. I already gave you a thousand REPs for our mutual love for Genesis.

Your wonder about who will hit the skins is easy. Chester Thompson is the answer.

Have you ever seen dueling expert drummers go at it for 20 straight minutes? It's something you will never ever forget.

I wish the the tribute band "The Musical Box" would tour America. They do 4 shows in America and 30 in Europe. Speaking of The Musical Box: Gabrial the clown comes out to sing this masterpiece. Even in the UK they said this song was too long for radio. To see this song live is to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFBY4dvoISc

Shes a lady, she's got time,
Brush back your hair, and let me get to know your face.
Shes a lady, she is mine.
Brush back your hair, and let me get to know your flesh.

Ive been waiting here for so long
And all this time has passed me by
It doesnt' seem to matter now
You stand there with your fixed expression
Casting doubt on all I have to say.
Why don't you touch me, touch me,
Why don't you touch me, touch me,
Touch me now, now, now, now, now...

Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 PM

10,424 posts, read 46,144,325 times
Here it is Passionathearts. The greatest drum duel ever performed. The most flawless drum war of all time. Most all of the 60 + Genesis shows I attended I got to watch this. Most were pre 1978 Wind And Wuthering days. I will never ever forget the magic and the electicity in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3rJXV4R4E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music