U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,070,928 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to see this thread back again.

I'd love to do some covers of Genesis songs with my progressive rock band. The only problem is that the keyboard part are way too hard for me. Do any of you know some easier Genesis songs (at least as far as the keyboard parts go)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 8,743,336 times

Genesis - Carpet Crawlers (Live 1974) - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,628,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Just beautiful. Thats how I would characterize early Genesis (evrything up to and thru Wind and Wuthering) and that is it is just sooo beautiful. And I would say the Selling England by the Pound album is the most consistantly so.

Genesis - The Cinema Show - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samustang91 View Post
In your opinion, which era did you like--or prefer
The tenor of their voices is very similar,so its sometimes hard to tell them apart , but Peter was more expressive and theatrical than Phil- though Phil did about as good a job as one could imagine with the old material. Stylistically the old band was more "out there" , more progressive, but also more sly in a way- they did stuff that was unexpected. The 2 albums after Peter left and Steve Hackett was still in the band are really good (Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering), but you got the sense that it was Genesis doing an imitation of Genesis. After that the music got simpler and more direct; more pop, with some exceptions notably on Duke.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM

26,345 posts, read 86,106,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
it was Genesis doing an imitation of Genesis. After that the music got simpler and more direct; more pop, with some exceptions notably on Duke.
It's about here where I start to vomit.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's about here where I start to vomit.
I just simply switched off. I only discovered the few good bits of "And Then There Were Three" and "Duke" many years after they came out.
I guess on the bright side you can say that Genesis went on to entertain millions of people of a different taste bracket who were until then unfamiliar with the band (and whats wrong with that?)

Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I'm glad to see this thread back again.

I'd love to do some covers of Genesis songs with my progressive rock band. The only problem is that the keyboard part are way too hard for me. Do any of you know some easier Genesis songs (at least as far as the keyboard parts go)?
You might go way back to the Trespass album- a song like "The Knife" which isn't as complex if my memory serves. The newer music from ABACAB forward isn't too complicated, but its not progressive either.

Genesis-The Knife - YouTube

Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM

50,109 posts, read 39,973,038 times
Invisible Touch - Genesis

"Invisible Touch" by Genesis - YouTube

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,070,928 times
Quote:
The tenor of their voices is very similar,so its sometimes hard to tell them apart , but Peter was more expressive and theatrical than Phil- though Phil did about as good a job as one could imagine with the old material. Stylistically the old band was more "out there" , more progressive, but also more sly in a way- they did stuff that was unexpected. The 2 albums after Peter left and Steve Hackett was still in the band are really good (Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering), but you got the sense that it was Genesis doing an imitation of Genesis. After that the music got simpler and more direct; more pop, with some exceptions notably on Duke.
Quote:
The newer music from ABACAB forward isn't too complicated, but its not progressive either.
I say that anyone who thinks Genesis stopped being progressive and good after "Wind and Wuthering" must be listening to a different band because I think they did some excellent music after then. Both "ABACAB" and the self-titled album are solid synth pop albums with plenty of progressive gems, like this one:

genesis - Dodo-Lurker - Abacab - YouTube

Anyone who thinks that Phil wasn't as expressive or theatrical as Peter Gabriel needs to pay more attention because a vocal performance like this is very hard to pull off:

Genesis - Mama [Official Music Video] - YouTube

By the way - the music and the video to "Mama" are both masterpieces.

Last edited by passionatearts; 03-15-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I say that anyone who thinks Genesis stopped being progressive and good after "Wind and Wuthering" must be listening to a different band because I think they did some excellent music after then. Both "ABACAB" and the self-titled album are solid synth pop albums with plenty of progressive gems, like this one:

genesis - Dodo-Lurker - Abacab - YouTube

Anyone who thinks that Phil wasn't as expressive or theatrical as Peter Gabriel needs to pay more attention because a vocal performance like this is very hard to pull off:

Genesis - Mama [Official Music Video] - YouTube

By the way - the music and the video to "Mama" are both masterpieces.
I never said that post-W+W Genesis wasn't good. Its some of the best pop written. Genesis did a much better job with pop music than the other Prog super groups did. Its just not that interesting to me though. While Dodo Lurker has some complex keyboard parts, its still a pretty straightforward song, and its even more complex than the typical Genesis song of this era. Not worse, just a different sort of music than the earlier stuff.
And I agree that Phil is an excellent and emotional singer. He's much better technically than Peter . But he's less quirky and less theatrical (not the same thing as emotional). Thats my story an I'm sticking to it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music