U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,662,824 times
Reputation: 639

Advertisements

I like Phil's voice better than Pete's, but I always felt that "Abacab", which is really one of my favorites, in retrospect is the album that marked the beginning of the band's decline. The band's flawless period was 1976-80, with "A Trick Of the Tail", "Wind & Wuthering", "...And Then There Were Three..." and "Duke" being my four favorites. I have found no weak spots on those albums, they represent the band at their prime. People like to put down "ATTW3" since it is not connected while the other three all have conceptual themes reprised throughout. It is songs, but all great songs IMO. "Abacab" was a major change after their best run and while still great was radically different, after Phil put out "Face Value", and while it was their first top 10 album in America, it also was very commercial sounding for its time. And some songs like "No Reply At All" and "Paperlate" - the latter not being on the actual album, but later showing up on "Three Sides Live" - sound almost identical to a Phil solo song.

I feel as though Genesis never earned the proper recognition or respect for their work, and probably never will at this point. It was only two years ago that they were inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. Their 1980s albums essentially rode the wave of Phil's solo success. That is the only reason all their albums from "Abacab" on made it into the top 10 and achieved multi-platinum upon initial release. And the one album they did without Phil after he quit went exactly where I thought it would: nowhere. It didn't even make it into the top 40.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a rant here, that is just my perspective of things. I hate dividing them up into eras since Rutherford and Banks have been there from the very beginning and have served as the band's core throughout. I think "Invisible Touch" is one of their worst albums, but I also think so is "Trespass" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" for their own reasons.

Last edited by HubCityMadMan; 03-17-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,424 posts, read 46,144,325 times
Reputation: 10442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I like Phil's voice better than Pete's, but I always felt that "Abacab", which is really one of my favorites, in retrospect is the album that marked the beginning of the band's decline. The band's flawless period was 1976-80, with "A Trick Of the Tail", "Wind & Wuthering", "...And Then There Were Three..." and "Duke" being my four favorites. I have found no weak spots on those albums, they represent the band at their prime. People like to put down "ATTW3" since it is not connected while the other three all have conceptual themes reprised throughout. It is songs, but all great songs IMO. "Abacab" was a major change after their best run and while still great was radically different, after Phil put out "Face Value", and while it was their first top 10 album in America, it also was very commercial sounding for its time. And some songs like "No Reply At All" and "Paperlate" - the latter not being on the actual album, but later showing up on "Three Sides Live" - sound almost identical to a Phil solo song.

I feel as though Genesis never earned the proper recognition or respect for their work, and probably never will at this point. It was only two years ago that they were inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. Their 1980s albums essentially rode the wave of Phil's solo success. That is the only reason all their albums from "Abacab" on made it into the top 10 and achieved multi-platinum upon initial success. And the one album they did without Phil after he quit went exactly where I thought it would: nowhere. It didn't even make it into the top 40.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a rant here, that is just my perspective of things. I hate dividing them up into eras since Rutherford and Banks have been there from the very beginning and have served as the band's core throughout. I think "Invisible Touch" is one of their worst albums, but I also think so is "Trespass" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" for their own reasons.
I agree with just about everything you said. This is a very old thread that has been revived but all my posts within profess my love for Genesis. My extensive Genesis knowledge fails me to name anything better then Wind and Wuthering. I can't even think of a better CD then this by any band anywhere anytime. It simply is a masterpiece. I say that as an unbiased Musician as well as a loyal fan

Though I don't agree Abacab marked their decline, I did not like it either, but it was the age of music that declined instead. If Genesis and all it's members were reincarnated today as they were in 1978 which is considered their prime, no one would even listen to them. Probably never even played on the radio. Nothing but wrap and hippity hoppity fruit loop music on anymore which the kiddies with their hats on backwards and pants that can fit 12 grown adults into listen to.

I stopped buying their CDs after "And Then There Were 3" which at that point they started going more popish to appeal to larger audience. Lets face it, as great as they were, their closest fans were a cult like audience. Like myself. That cult like audience also abandoned them at that popish change over.

Their great music, the memories will always remain with me. Remember the first dueling drums with Chester Thompson and Phil Collins? No one ever dupicated that to this day. The most difficult keyboard solos by Tony Banks ever heard in rock. The 3.5 hour concerts all through the late 70s. I will never forget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,662,824 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I agree with just about everything you said. This is a very old thread that has been revived but all my posts within profess my love for Genesis. My extensive Genesis knowledge fails me to name anything better then Wind and Wuthering. I can't even think of a better CD then this by any band anywhere anytime. It simply is a masterpiece. I say that as an unbiased Musician as well as a loyal fan

Though I don't agree Abacab marked their decline, I did not like it either, but it was the age of music that declined instead. If Genesis and all it's members were reincarnated today as they were in 1978 which is considered their prime, no one would even listen to them. Probably never even played on the radio. Nothing but wrap and hippity hoppity fruit loop music on anymore which the kiddies with their hats on backwards and pants that can fit 12 grown adults into listen to.

I stopped buying their CDs after "And Then There Were 3" which at that point they started going more popish to appeal to larger audience. Lets face it, as great as they were, their closest fans were a cult like audience. Like myself. That cult like audience also abandoned them at that popish change over.

Their great music, the memories will always remain with me. Remember the first dueling drums with Chester Thompson and Phil Collins? No one ever dupicated that to this day. The most difficult keyboard solos by Tony Banks ever heard in rock. The 3.5 hour concerts all through the late 70s. I will never forget.
I wish I was alive at that time to hear it fresh and new. As we speak I am currently playing "Nursery Cryme". I was born in 1984 and listen to music of all generations since I come from a very musical family. My uncle was big on Genesis and got me into them over 20 years ago. The Phil and Chester drumming together is uniquely unique. I also like the live "Cinema Show" with Bill Bruford on "Seconds Out". I think it is better than the studio version.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,662,824 times
Reputation: 639
I know no one touched this thread for three months, but I am curious. What do most of you think of Steve Hackett's solo album "Voyage Of The Acolyte"? I am listening to it right now. I think it is a brilliant piece of work. I know a lot of die hard Genesis fans proclaim it the best record Genesis didn't make. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: S.W.PA
1,361 posts, read 2,627,005 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I know no one touched this thread for three months, but I am curious. What do most of you think of Steve Hackett's solo album "Voyage Of The Acolyte"? I am listening to it right now. I think it is a brilliant piece of work. I know a lot of die hard Genesis fans proclaim it the best record Genesis didn't make. Any thoughts?
'Haven't listened to it in about 10 years. I remember thinking it was very good, but not great. Maybe there were a couple songs that I didn't like? Well now I'm going to have to pull it out and give ita spin!
ps: is this the one with "The Steppes" on it? I remember really liking that tune.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,102 posts, read 4,069,139 times
Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I know no one touched this thread for three months, but I am curious. What do most of you think of Steve Hackett's solo album "Voyage Of The Acolyte"? I am listening to it right now. I think it is a brilliant piece of work. I know a lot of die hard Genesis fans proclaim it the best record Genesis didn't make. Any thoughts?
The album has some good songs but is pretty uneven. I think the biggest problem with it is the vocals and songwriting. On the other hand, it's definitely got more guitar in it than most Genesis albums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,662,824 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
'Haven't listened to it in about 10 years. I remember thinking it was very good, but not great. Maybe there were a couple songs that I didn't like? Well now I'm going to have to pull it out and give ita spin!
ps: is this the one with "The Steppes" on it? I remember really liking that tune.
No. "The Steppes" is on "Defector" which is his fourth album released in 1980, another great album I think. "Voyage Of The Acolyte" is his first one from 1976, right before "A Trick Of The Tail" and then he did not make another until after he quit the band. "VOTA" also has Mike and Phil on it, doing bass and drums respectively. Phil also sings on one song "Star Of Sirius" and the last song "Shadow Of The Hierophant" has Mike sharing a songwriting credit. This album is mostly instrumental, except for "SOS", and "SOTH" which has Mike Oldfield's sister Sally singing, and "The Hermit" which Steve sings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top