Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,946,373 times

Advertisements

How many songs do you love without having any clue what the devil the singer is talking about? I mean, wether you can't understand the words, or wether you have just no idead what the hell the topic of the song is. As in the lyrics are so cryptic that you just kind of shrug, while still loving the song as a whole?

For me, I would have to say about 90% of Cocteau Twins songs are like that, mostly because Fraiser is singing in a way that leaves any listener with no idea as to what she is actually saying. My favorite song of their's "Lazy Calm", is a prime example:

(the singing doen't start until 3 minutes in)

YouTube - lazy calm - cocteau twins

My all time favorite example is a top song from a 90s that every argued about as to what the heck it was about...which I think is pointless, because I am pretty sure the singer has no clue what it is about either. Yes, I am talking about "Epic" by Faith No More:

YouTube - Faith No More - Epic Music Video

Anyone else have any examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 05:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
Blinded by the Light...only one I can think of at the moment.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I like several Tori Amos songs whose lyrics I find cryptic or just flat-out weird. I guess offhand I'd include "Honey", "Cooling", and "Space Dog."

I like the flow and imagery of "Into White" by Cat Stevens while not precisely knowing why he's singing about a red-legged chicken or a spider dancing on someone's eye or whatever. I think it's intentionally surreal, more about creating a picture/pictures than anything.

I don't listen to much of anything where people scream unintelligibly. There are some Hendrix and Credence-Clearwater songs I like where the lyrics are somewhat mumbled or slurred or hard to make out.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,483,458 times
Stairway To Heaven.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,830 times
If any of you guys here can figure out what this song is about, let me know because I love this song:

YouTube - Blackfield - Blackfield

Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,946,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
If any of you guys here can figure out what this song is about, let me know because I love this song:

YouTube - Blackfield - Blackfield

Nice song...but I, too, have no idea what the hell he is talking about.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:07 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,398,324 times
lol apparently a lot

I learned last night that 'In the Arms of the Angels' was about suicide

I don't care--it is a good song and at times it speaks clearly to me

Boomer here--

If you want to know about the songs of Credence Clearwater Revival I could possibly tell you what they intended

lol--Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog

don't take life so seriously

Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Stairway To Heaven.
lol-- I was 20 when that song was popular--the generation that did not care

we didn't even try to analyze--that would be the Boomers

Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,293,763 times
I defy anyone to work out what the hell James Reyne of Australian Crawl is singing about here. I'm an Aussie and I can only pick up one in every 5 or so words. Just a clue, in the chorus he is saying "Things just-a....don't seem as....tho-ough their going ri- i -ight". As for the rest I have no idea, but it has some really great guitar work.

YouTube - Australian Crawl - Things Don't Seem (1981)

Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I defy anyone to work out what the hell James Reyne of Australian Crawl is singing about here. I'm an Aussie and I can only pick up one in every 5 or so words. Just a clue, in the chorus he is saying "Things just-a....don't seem as....tho-ough their going ri- i -ight". As for the rest I have no idea, but it has some really great guitar work.

YouTube - Australian Crawl - Things Don't Seem (1981)
lol--I still struggle with 'Men At Work'/chunder

one thing I love about 'Aussies' is that --'Who Can Care' attitude

maybe some are very serious but those online seem to 'keep their powder dry'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music