Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:30 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,263,993 times

Advertisements

Here is something else to think about. I wonder who inspired Tom Petty to write in the style of and use a Rickenbacker on some of his song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1la8SgMHRQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:44 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,952,618 times
What an amazing band they were. 2RUGGED, you hit on what I was going to mention. McGuinn's 12 string. A very popular acoustic instrument in the folk days of the 60s, but his electric augmentation was nothing short of stellar. Something changed for the better when he plugged that thing in.

And the Byrds could harmonize as well as anyone. The Hollies - even the Beatles. Probably not like the Beach Boys, but these guys could still flat out sing. Their covers of Dylan tunes set them apart from many of their contemporaries. After all, you'd better be packing some outstanding material with you if you want to make it as far as they did. Their interpretations lent a sweet sound to Bob Dylan's offerings that he, himself, rarely possessed. The results were close to perfect. They didn't take anything away from Dylan. They simply took his songs in a different direction and, perhaps, made them more palatable. Hardcore Dylan fans would shoot me for that statement.

And my favorite since the first time I heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfashDI6vU

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,154,750 times
There were 2 versions of the Byrds. The spych-folky version, and then the Country rock version with Gram Parsons that influenced the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Ronstadt and later the whole alt-country movement. Both phases of the band's career were great, and I continue to proclaim that they were better than the Beatles!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
What an amazing band they were. 2RUGGED, you hit on what I was going to mention. McGuinn's 12 string. A very popular acoustic instrument in the folk days of the 60s, but his electric augmentation was nothing short of stellar. Something changed for the better when he plugged that thing in.

And the Byrds could harmonize as well as anyone. The Hollies - even the Beatles. Probably not like the Beach Boys, but these guys could still flat out sing. Their covers of Dylan tunes set them apart from many of their contemporaries. After all, you'd better be packing some outstanding material with you if you want to make it as far as they did. Their interpretations lent a sweet sound to Bob Dylan's offerings that he, himself, rarely possessed. The results were close to perfect. They didn't take anything away from Dylan. They simply took his songs in a different direction and, perhaps, made them more palatable. Hardcore Dylan fans would shoot me for that statement.

And my favorite since the first time I heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfashDI6vU
That guitar had a very unique sound to it. Almost a kind of windmill, haunting sound and tone. All he had to do was play one or two notes and you knew right away who it was.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:04 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,772,173 times
My brother had The Byrds Greatest...I played it over and over when I was knee high to a hippie in 1969...

Being knee high then, I held an opinion on hygiene...TMI

Last edited by newmex; 12-26-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:24 PM

18,252 posts, read 25,918,435 times
"Greatest Hits" was one of the first 8 tracks I bought. Wore that dude out and bought another. Square Peg is right, the Byrds took Dylans material in a different direction all right. Their guitar work, their harmony, just incredible music.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,388,266 times
Chris Hillman is my favorite former Byrds' member. I loved everything by the Desert Rose Band. And the 2002 "Way Out West" CD by Hillman and Herb Pederson is one of my prized possessions.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,284,280 times
Default Byrds

Every memeber had their own uniqueness and talent.McGuinns voice and guitar work are instantly recognizable. My favorite memeber would have to be Gene Clark. He was quite the writer and vocalist. Did somegroundbreaking material with Dillard and Clark. His later stuff was excellent, notably with Carla Olson.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM

18,252 posts, read 25,918,435 times
Top 10 favorite songs by the Byrds!

1. Turn Turn Turn
2. Eight Miles High
3. Have You Seen Her Face
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Mr. Spaceman
6. Bells Of Rhymney
7. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
8. So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star
9. My Back Pages
10.Everybody's Been Burned

Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Top 10 favorite songs by the Byrds!

1. Turn Turn Turn
2. Eight Miles High
3. Have You Seen Her Face
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Mr. Spaceman
6. Bells Of Rhymney
7. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
8. So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star
9. My Back Pages
10.Everybody's Been Burned
Good ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music