Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times

Advertisements

Folk rock, psychedelic, country rock, whatever. The Byrds was SUCH a good group from the mid 1960's to the early 1970's. Like the Buffalo Springfield before them, they had such talent within the band that they could only stay together for a few years, the original lineup anyway.

Then when other members joined in as replacements through its illustrious career, after the group finally called it a career in 1973, people such as Gram Parsons, Skip Battin, and Gene Parsons released material years later as well as the original members. 44 years after their first release I enjoy their music immensely.

OK people, whatcha got on the Byrds? Favorite song? LP? Solo lp? Anyone seen them in concert-group or solo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,701,086 times
I seen Roger Mcquinn back in 76 when he opened for Styx at the Capital Theater in Passaic, NJ. He did all the Byrds songs. What was that like 4 years after the Byrds broke up for good?

In 2007 Roger and David Crosby did a duet as part of a fund raising show for PBS. I bought the DVD of course. He still looks good for his age and has not lost anything in his voice.

What a great sound they had.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,724,668 times
Default I like that Buffalo Springfield tune

Carefree Country Day and Uno Mundo

Old 12-20-2009, 09:09 PM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Carefree Country Day and Uno Mundo
Well, even though they are not the Byrds and I DID mentioned the Springfield, those are 2 good cuts from their final studio lp, Last Time Around!

Like the Springfield, there was so much talent in that band, I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before there would be "artistic differences" within the group. And sadly, David Crosby was the first to go. I believe his last contributions were to the lp Younger Than Yesterday, released in 1967.

From what I remember, Crosby had wrote a great tune called "Triad", and wanted to have it included on the YTY album, but the other members thought it didn't fit. It was co-written by Paul Kantner of the Jefferson Airplane, and it DID appear on the Airplane's 4th lp, Crown Of Creation, released in October of 1968.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Chris Hillman

assisted Dan Fogelberg on "The Innocent Age" from The Innocent Age lp in 1981, and Richie Furay sang background harmonies along with Glenn Frey on the hit "Hard To Say" from the same lp

Graham Nash assisted on Dan's 1974 lp "Souvenirs"

Dan said in an interview that he loved the Buffalo Springfield

Richie Furay played recently at the BB King Blues club in NY--I was supposed to go see it but I don't recall why I didn't go

Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,347,896 times
The Byrds have been one of my favorite bands ever since I heard 8 Miles High back in the mid-late '70s when i was in high school--it was such a relief from the disco or Journey/Styx music I heard on the radio then. My favorite Byrds albums would be:

1. Mr Tamborine Man--especially Bells of Rhymney, Here Without You, All I really Want to Do,I'd Feel a whole lot better, and the title track--What a debut! What an album!
2. 5D--8 Miles High, Mr Spaceman, I See You, 5D and Wild Mtn Thyme

3. Younger Than Yesterday: Would probably be higher but I never cared for CTA 102 or Mind gardens. Plus Thoughts and Words was a great song, until they had to screw it up with all the irritating electronic sounds at the end of the song. That said, every other tune is outstanding--Chris Hillman really came into his own on this album!

One of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHOgkj7OuvQ

I've seen McGuinn three times: at Duff's on Hennepin Avenue in dwtn Mpls in the early 1980s (1984?), on the MusicCruise in NYC with Donovan in 1988 with Pete Fornatelle, and at the Taste of Minnesota in St. Paul on an idylic July day along the Mississippi River. I've also heard him several times on the radio--he's a facinating guy. Here's an interesting interview he did on Minnesota Public Radio back in Sept 2009.

Roger McGuinn, a founding father of folk | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Default I don't know

why but the Byrds and Springfield never get the action on my stereo that Dan Fogelberg's similar songs do. I'll have to give them some more action.

Now here's what's odd, when Rolling Stone reviewed the Eagles' debut album back in 72, they liked the record so much that they considered it to be as good as "other premiere California country rock bands like Buffalo Springfield and the Byrds and The Flying Burrito Brothers"

But I get the feeling that if I asked other posters here if that's true, most might disagree

Old 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,199,760 times
I remember getting a beer in a strange dark club in Ocean City MD. I had gotten in with a fake i.d. Well, it was my Maryland drivers license which was a paper card and I had done a pretty good job on it changing my birth date. I was 17 years old I remember sitting there in the dark smoky place with dim blue lights. Eight Miles High was playing on the juke box. It all seemed so psychedelic

YouTube - The Byrds - Eight Miles High

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Default With the exception

of the surname Hillman maybe, all those other surnames sound Irish

Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,262,095 times
I'm a guitar player myself and a Rickenbacker 12 string has been on my list to get for a long time. Here is Turn Turn Turn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music