Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times

Advertisements

Just got finished listening to Jon Bon Jovi's interview on Fresh Air and learned that his group's new album has hit number one.

I don't get why they are so popular. They have some catchy songs but frankly, to me, they sound like a generic bar band.

Why is Bon Jovi so hot compared to say any of Ronnie James Dio's projects (Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio) or Queensryche? On every aspect from vocal ability, technical musicianship, songwriting, lyrics, uniqueness, catchiness, even on the basis of ballads, Bon Jovi is blown into the weeds. I don't know any of Bon Jovi's albums but can any of them touch "Rising," "Heaven and Hell" or "Mindcrime?"

Even during Bon Jovi's peak of popularity when "Slippery When Wet" was selling by the millions, they had no cred among the rockers and metalheads. On top of that, much of their biggest hits were the result of Desmond Child's contribution.

I know that popular doesn't necessarily mean good but out of all the '80's rock bands, why is Bon Jovi the big success story? They seem to be bigger than even Iron Maiden or Motley Crue. Is it because they are down to earth Jersey boys?

P.S. I found out that Ronnie James Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. I truly wish him a quick and lasting recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Sadly, I think it's a simple case of "video killed the radio star"
line up John Bon Jovi next to Ronnie James Dio, Ozzie and Geoffrey Tate....

Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
You make it sound like no one likes Dio.
I think they have been pretty big through the years,but I don't think they have had any radio hits like Bon Jovi and I don't think they have been that popular with teen girls like Bon Jovi,but I think they are popular and well respected with metal audiences.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Good, funny, and true point. Dio looks like a magical elf or wizard of some sorts. The only song I've heard by him is Rainbow in the Dark. In my mind he sings Dungeons & Dragons music, to paint with a broad stroke. That's probably way off base, but when I see him, that's what I think.

Bon Jovi is a pretty boy and he sings more "accessible" songs, IMO.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Look at Jon Bon Jovi... and look at those other guys.

I know people who are absolutely rabid Bon Jovi fans... of course these are middle-aged women. That is probably his demographic and he is thriving.

I think the term IRONY applies when I wanted to listen to Bon Jovi in high school, but my mom was like "Oh no that's evil hard rock music and you will burn in hell if you listen to that evil stuff".... now even she is a big fan.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
I'm going to be brutally honest here. Bon Jovi is popular because of the way they look. If your band looks cute and writes cutesy, and "safe" songs female fans will eat it up. Although, Dio and Queensryce are popular, they lack that rabid female "pop" audiance.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
I never meant to imply that Dio and Queensryche are under appreciated or unknown. They are both legends in the metal/rock world with millions of rabid fans. On the other hand, I think Bon Jovi is now bigger than Springsteen!

It's just that back in the '80s, if I was asked to name a contemporary rock band that would be huge (#1 record; profile on 60 Minutes) a quarter of a century later, Bon Jovi would have never crossed my mind. I'm not out to slag Bon Jovi; they seem to be genuinely nice fellas. It's just that they seem musically anonymous.

Regarding looks, are the members of Bon Jovi any better looking than the legions of their contemporaries (Ratt, Dokken, Armored Saint, Cinderella, Rough Cutt, Leatherwolf, etc., etc.)? Hell, are they better looking than Queensryche?

Granted, there is a heavy wizards and dragons aspect to Dio which may be a turn-off to some but no one can deny his pipes.

In the end, I realize that the reason band X makes it while band Y doesn't often defies reason or is the result of dozens of factors which all happened to fall a certain way. I guess I just had to express my befuddlement.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Didn't know that about Ronnie James Dio - get well soon, one of the greatest voices of all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxOPvLg7o0

Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
I am a Bon Jovi Fan since 1986 ~ Freshman year of H.S. Good God!!

I loved Queensryche. Still listen to it. My four year old likes it to. Dokken, Ratt, I don't know why they died down and I haven't listened to them in years.

Bon Jovi on the otherhand is better on the eyes and he's just a nice guy, family man, philantropist and he has grown as a person. Still hear about him in positive ways.

He's grown, I've grown with him. His songs are still catchy even though the lyrics have changed but the sound remains the same. To me that is.

My husband doesn't care for him. To much of a crooner.

I guess I should check out there new CD. Add it to my collection.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
I heard they are very humble and nice people. I still dislike their music except for one or two songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music