Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM

237 posts, read 870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Not trying to fool you. Just stating my opinion. And I can honestly say that I've never listened to any of your four examples from beginning to end. Just not my kind of music.
i guess if i stick bryan adams, selena, celine dion, gloria estefan, phil collins, shania twain, whitney houston, mariah carey in there you'd probably say the same thing....

most of the people who turned those 80's and 90's artists into top 100 all time sellers are people from the 60's and 70's.

those 3 songs you said you didn't like would've easily fit into the 70's music scene. they had amazing voices, wrote their own music, appealed to audiences across genres. you might not like them but you can't deny that the songs exhibit talent. i can't say the same thing about most music produced today.
i'm surprised you haven't heard the michael bolton song. it was a hit from the movie with meg ryan 15 years ago.
i'm not sure why anyone from the 60's or 70's wouldn't like Jewel. She was like a modern version of Joni Mitchell.

Last edited by grmike; 12-22-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
i guess if i stick bryan adams, selena, celine dion, gloria estefan, phil collins, shania twain, whitney houston, mariah carey in there you'd probably say the same thing....

most of the people who turned those 80's and 90's artists into top 100 all time sellers are people from the 60's and 70's.

those 3 songs you said you didn't like would've easily fit into the 70's music scene. they had amazing voices, wrote their own music, appealed to audiences across genres. you might not like them but you can't deny that the songs exhibit talent. i can't say the same thing about most music produced today.
i'm surprised you haven't heard the michael bolton song. it was a hit from the movie with meg ryan 15 years ago.
I'm trying really hard to understand the point of this thread.

Is the OP's beef with music, people from a certain decade, personal preferences in music, or the fact, perhaps, that TV/radio/record companies are now obsessed with peddling cookie-cutter garbage?

The music INDUSTRY has been on a slow decline for decades, as quality has been quickly replaced by executive greed...as evidenced in other sectors of the economy.

Radio has been taken over by corporate controls, and what audience remains has been spoon-fed a steady diet of "more of the same" (which has gotten to the point that I can't keep BAND NAMES STRAIGHT--too many are sound-alikes)...and yes, some people will readily lap it up.

But there is no sense in getting upset that some of us don't care for easy listening/mellow music either in general, or from the decade you prefer.

To each their own.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post

i'm not sure why anyone from the 60's or 70's wouldn't like Jewel. She was like a modern version of Joni Mitchell.
You are correct, I would still say the same thing. I'ts just not my kind of music.

And I will still say, in my opinion the 80's, 90's and today's music leaves a lot to be desired.

Just look at my screen name. That ought to give you a hint what I like (and it ain't 'easy listening')

Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I'm trying really hard to understand the point of this thread.

Is the OP's beef with music, people from a certain decade, personal preferences in music, or the fact, perhaps, that TV/radio/record companies are now obsessed with peddling cookie-cutter garbage?

The music INDUSTRY has been on a slow decline for decades, as quality has been quickly replaced by executive greed...as evidenced in other sectors of the economy.

Radio has been taken over by corporate controls, and what audience remains has been spoon-fed a steady diet of "more of the same" (which has gotten to the point that I can't keep BAND NAMES STRAIGHT--too many are sound-alikes)...and yes, some people will readily lap it up.

But there is no sense in getting upset that some of us don't care for easy listening/mellow music either in general, or from the decade you prefer.

To each their own.
Me too. My first thought was that the OP was lamenting the lack of a current day Bryan Adams... or Michael Bolton... but that can't be it.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
You are young. You never experienced the real music. You should be in our older shoes and then speak out what you think of today's total complete and utter trash they put out today and call music. It's so sad. It really is.

And the record companies wonder why record sales are a fraction of what they were 40 years ago.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:16 PM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are young. You never experienced the real music. You should be in our older shoes and then speak out what you think of today's total complete and utter trash they put out today and call music. It's so sad. It really is.

And the record companies wonder why record sales are a fraction of what they were 40 years ago.
Again, I am repeating myself but this statement is ridiculous. There is an enormous amount of brilliant music out there if you are willing to get away from the Billboard Top 40. This year alone has seen a ton of innovative, incredible albums by artists like Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, The xx, Ramona Falls, Sunset Rubdown, Florence and the Machine, Washed Out, Camera Obscura and Phoenix, just to name a few. This decade has seen some unbelievably talented artists who have done amazing things with music, anyone who doesn't think this decade has much to offer needs to actually read some music publications catering to more 'indie' sensibilities. Artists like Arcade Fire, Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Okkervil River, The National, Elbow, Wilco, Bloc Party, Interpol... I could go on and on. This idea that 'real music' is dead is arrogant and shows an incredible lack of openness to new sounds. You can like old artists without putting down everything that has come out since. There is so much out there now, you'll never run out of new and cool things to hear.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
^^I agree with what you're saying. To me, the OP seemed to be harping on the differences of 'popular' artists.

What is greatly different now is HOW great music is finding its audience. It used to be radio, when radio dared to play music that wasn't 'mainstream'.

'Commercial' music has sucked IMO for a very long time. Who knows, maybe it always has to some degree.

Obscure/indie music (ie, TALENT) has always required a bit more work to discover. It's not every band/performer who can maintain their musical integrity once they achieve broad and popular success, so I guess there is a bit of guilty pleasure in enjoying a lot of them while they're still basically unknowns.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Again, I am repeating myself but this statement is ridiculous. There is an enormous amount of brilliant music out there if you are willing to get away from the Billboard Top 40. This year alone has seen a ton of innovative, incredible albums by artists like Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, The xx, Ramona Falls, Sunset Rubdown, Florence and the Machine, Washed Out, Camera Obscura and Phoenix, just to name a few. This decade has seen some unbelievably talented artists who have done amazing things with music, anyone who doesn't think this decade has much to offer needs to actually read some music publications catering to more 'indie' sensibilities. Artists like Arcade Fire, Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Okkervil River, The National, Elbow, Wilco, Bloc Party, Interpol... I could go on and on. This idea that 'real music' is dead is arrogant and shows an incredible lack of openness to new sounds. You can like old artists without putting down everything that has come out since. There is so much out there now, you'll never run out of new and cool things to hear.
Ok I will give you an inch here. We all know what is on the Billboard 40 today is total and compete trash. It's not even music. Timed poetry that ryhmes curses sticking things up womens southside to the beat of some idiot shaking an old fashioned record is not music.

You talk about underground. I never have heard any of it but I would listen. I will even try to find those you listed on Youtube. In the old days we did not have to go underground to hear music. It all was on the radio. There was always some station that played the out of the ordinary music. Some good some bad but no matter it never made the the mainstream radio stations.

So you say there is some good music out today. Tell me why it never makes the radio. Since Clear Channel owns 90% of all radio stations in America you might think they would like to get music into our homes and cars so we might start buying music again. I dont know what the answer is but I wish I did. Does Clear Channel want to force us all to like the junk they jamb down our throats? They do target the young who are dumb and gullable.

Music mainstream is dead. The fact that there is an underground cult of music you say is good seems to be irrelevant since most of us dont know how to find it. As long as it's not wrap or hippity hoppity bunny drums I will have an open mind. How can I find it? I'm game.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
So you say there is some good music out today. Tell me why it never makes the radio. Since Clear Channel owns 90% of all radio stations in America you might think they would like to get music into our homes and cars so we might start buying music again. I dont know what the answer is but I wish I did. Does Clear Channel want to force us all to like the junk they jamb down our throats? They do target the young who are dumb and gullable.

Music mainstream is dead. The fact that there is an underground cult of music you say is good seems to be irrelevant since most of us dont know how to find it. As long as it's not wrap or hippity hoppity bunny drums I will have an open mind. How can I find it? I'm game.
Count me in. I'd like to know also. Enlighten me...

Also, I don't have any kids, so I can't ask them.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 PM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Ok I will give you an inch here. We all know what is on the Billboard 40 today is total and compete trash. It's not even music. Timed poetry that ryhmes curses sticking things up womens southside to the beat of some idiot shaking an old fashioned record is not music.

You talk about underground. I never have heard any of it but I would listen. I will even try to find those you listed on Youtube. In the old days we did not have to go underground to hear music. It all was on the radio. There was always some station that played the out of the ordinary music. Some good some bad but no matter it never made the the mainstream radio stations.

Music classified as 'indie' (which represents a diverse array of styles and genres) has been around for a couple decades, but the rise of the internet has made it extremely accessible. Much of this music is what gets the critical attention from the major music publications/websites (ie. Pitchfork: Home ; Music news, Listings, Reviews, Reaction, Interviews and Community // Drowned In Sound ; DOA ; Paste Magazine :: The Best New Music, Movies, TV, Games, and Books :: Music and Movie News, Reviews, Features, Videos, MP3s and More and so on...) fits into this incredibly broad category. I would suggest heading over to Metacritic.com's music forums, which have a lot more posters who are into contemporary indie and who are really serious music fans than are found here. Anyways, given that several thousand albums are released every year and virtually all of them are available through ITunes (or, for the more daring and morally... flexible... bittorrent sites like isoHunt) so its not like its hard to find. Additionally, several of the major sites are posting their year and decade lists, Pitchfork, which is essentially the 'big' indie music publication (sorta what Rolling Stone was in the 1970s), recently listed its Top 200 albums of the decade so that's an interesting place to start.

Otherwise, a few good artists to check out (representing a wide array of styles/sounds/genres so that disliking one doesn't imply you won't like others: Wilco, TV on the Radio, Okkervil River, Bloc Party, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Elbow, Bon Iver, The Shins, Spoon, The National, Beirut, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Wolf Parade, Deerhunter, Ramona Falls, My Morning Jacket, Camera Obscura, Andrew Bird, The xx, Yeasayer, Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes, Dirty Projectors, The Felice Brothers, Band of Horses, Interpol... just to name a small, select few of my own favorites. Keep in mind, most 'indie' bands are considered indie because they are usually signed by small labels not owned or affiliated with companies like Clearchannel.

All of these bands have received quite a bit of critical acclaim over the last 10 years and, in my opinion, all are deserving. All of the innovation, synthesis and such happening in music today are happening off the charts; most 'casual' music fans who are responsible for making the Top 40 what it is aren't interested in new sounds and styles or really anything beyond simple songs with catchy hooks and straightforward lyrics. If you want more interesting stuff and, in many cases, more serious stuff then you have to turn to other bands. The notion that the Top 40 represents all the music that is being made today, however, is really just crazy.

With the way the internet has 'opened' up access to music I don't really understand why anyone who is interested in finding new things to listen to can't. There are tons of music oriented websites out there the focus on finding new bands and new sounds. Its not like these groups and hundreds of others are some great secret; there is a huge community of music fans in the US and Europe who pay a lot of attention to this, who write about it and talk about it in internet forums. The major music publications (outside of, say, Rolling Stone which, to be fair, also covers some indie) all give these bands lots of acclaim and attention. They just don't make it onto the Top 40 because they aren't typical radio-friendly 'pop' - they've got more intricate beats, styles and melodies then the casual music fan is used to leading to an air of inaccessibility at first that often keeps them off the charts. However, they win awards and so on and so forth regularly. Again, as I've said, there are literally thousands of albums put out every year and a lot of them have, well, a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music