Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 PM

342 posts, read 590,952 times

Advertisements

What singer female or male that couldnt sing?

ME: Desi Arnaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Their name is legion, check MTV or VH1, etc.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I think there were at least a few rap singers, possibly even some good ones, that didn't precisely have to be able to sing in the conventional sense. It was more about the the rhythm and the lyrics rather than the voice.

Of singers I like/love I would say They Might Be Giants are not precisely great singers. And yes I do like them to the point I have six or more CDs by them. I do not think they are bad singers, it's just I don't listen to them for their singing ability as such or consider them to have that good of voices. I think of them as more about lyrics, rhythm/beat, instrumentation, unusual style changes in mid-song, etc. They're clever and lots of fun, but if you had them sing conventional pop songs without instruments I think they would be mostly forgettable. (This is not as much of a criticism as it might sound. I love what they do, but I just think what they do doesn't revolve around having great voices and that's okay.)

In her last year or two Billie Holiday's voice was somewhat ragged and even occasionally "all over the place" but there's a vulnerability and feeling to the later Holiday I find appealing. The sadness in it, and in some elderly blues musicians, I think can give a certain power to the performance that goes beyond all that.

However I assume this is a bashing thread rather than "what singers did not have conventionally good voices, but made up for it in some other way."

If you want bad singers I might get bashed for the two I'd pick, but they're people I think of as "Songwriter voices." I mostly don't see the appeal in Tom Waits as a singer. His lyrics can be good maybe even great sometimes, but his singing mostly doesn't work for me. (Although "Cold Cold Ground" from "Homicide: Life on the Street" was kind of neat) Also, and this might really cause anger, Leonard Cohen's voice generally doesn't do much for me. I think the man is brilliant and very impressive in many ways, but judging by what I've heard he's not what I'd deem a conventionally good singer.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It was more about the the rhythm and the lyrics rather than the voice.
Isn't that what rap is about?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Neil Young, Les Claypool.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
There are tons of popular singers, even some icons, that do not have especially good vocal skills. Some off the top of my head- BOB DYLAN, OZZY OSBOURNE, MICK JAGGER, JOE WALSH, KURT COBAIN...

Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Its hard to tell, by that I mean after MTV song writers began to write songs that anybody could sing. You will notice on American Idol how many contestants have trouble singing old stuff like Motown or songs from the pop classic era (30's-40's),

don't be hate'n on me, but I think all the gorgeous girls are average singers, Alicia Keys, Beyonce, J-Lo, most of them couldn't get a contract on their voice alone, (or with a flat butt)

Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think there were at least a few rap singers, possibly even some good ones, that didn't precisely have to be able to sing in the conventional sense. It was more about the the rhythm and the lyrics rather than the voice.

A wrapper that can not sing? I'm shocked. I never heard of such a thing. More about the rhyme? Oops, I think you mean more about the cursing ryhme.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
There are tons of popular singers, even some icons, that do not have especially good vocal skills. Some off the top of my head- BOB DYLAN, OZZY OSBOURNE, MICK JAGGER, JOE WALSH, KURT COBAIN...
Mick Jagger's voice originally came to fame because it sounded like a Black Bluesmans. IMO, Britney Spears because if you take away the looks and the fashion she has nothing. Also I thinks Justin Timberlake sucks as well.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Herb Alpert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music