Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times

Advertisements

I always find it interesting what other bands an artist enjoys, both newer and older. Sometimes it can be somewhat suprising. For instance, if you had Ozzy's or Lemmy's ipod, you would be more likely to find Chuck Berry or Little Richard than Metallica or Slayer. I also just read an interview in which Jerry Cantrell named Elton John.

Anyone got any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Back in the 70's we saw Tom Waits at The Cellar Door in Washington DC. In between sets he was taking a break and someone asked him "Who are the musicians you like, that inspire you?" In that well known growl he replied "Waal, the people I like are either dead or not feeling very well."

I know that one of Keith Richards' guitar heros is Chuck Berry. You can hear that on the Stones' first few albums.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,244 times
I agree, It's very interesting to see who's inspired those that inspire us. Off the top of my head I know that Dylan for example was a big Woody Guthrie fan. When Dylan first made the move to NYC Woody was in a nursing home in New Jersey. Most Sundays he'd take a bus out from Manhattan and visit him. I know McCartney was well into Buddy Holly, Sinatra into Mabel Mercer and Billie Holiday, and Tony Bennett, he dug Louie Armstrong. But he had a voice teacher early on who told him that he should not emulate singers, because he would end up sounding too much like them. But instead, he should emulate musicians, instrumentalists. Tony always liked the way Stan Getz, the great tenor sax man presented his songs, made a big dramatic statement with his tunes. If you listen to a lot of Tony's stuff, his grander stuff especially, you can pick it out.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times
A while back I posted some songs(to little fanfare) from Dr. Winston O'Boogie's jukebox. What a treasure to find his personal jukebox. Some of my favorite's favorites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXzJaCeHP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFupGBdMqa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMK-R69f7rM

Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I always find it interesting what other bands an artist enjoys, both newer and older. Sometimes it can be somewhat suprising. For instance, if you had Ozzy's or Lemmy's ipod, you would be more likely to find Chuck Berry or Little Richard than Metallica or Slayer. I also just read an interview in which Jerry Cantrell named Elton John.

Anyone got any?
Some, Angus Young (AC/DC) has openly admitted to Chuck Berry and Keith Richards as being his favorite. Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) really admired John Lee Hooker. SRV really admired Jimi Hendrix among many many others.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times
^^^He liked Buddy Holly, but that last one should have been this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_HsyKH56UU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music