Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,745,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Just curious, why do you continue to spell it "wrap" and expect to be respected?
I could spell it crap. You can't spell crap without rap. Which do you prefer? And I am respected for calling it like it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM

408 posts, read 725,426 times
rap goes in the direction it's "fans" allow it to go in.... young people have always been the driving force in hip hop music, and they don't care... So naturally, the people who run it will cater to the main fan base.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,912,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I could spell it crap. You can't spell crap without rap. Which do you prefer? And I am respected for calling it like it is.
Look, you can spell it right if you try really hard. And no, I'm not a fan of rap or, as you call it, hippity hop bunny music, but I respect other people's taste in music.

What kind of music do you like?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM

11,394 posts, read 11,131,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
My mom always told me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. So I'm leaving this thread alone.
I'll second that one. My opinion on this one would probably be mod cut anyway.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,155,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
1. WHY is it when a rapper gets past 25 years old he's considered washed up, old and not worthy of holding a mic?
sound off.
Because the fan base for mainstream rap is mid teens to early-mid 20s. I think it's harder for a 16 year old to relate to a late 20s-early 30s lyricist who speaks about more mature concepts. However, this WASN'T the case 10, 15, even 20 years ago. Soulja Boy is NOT a rapper.

Jay-Z is arguably the best still in the game. He's well over 25. Common and Talib Kweli are too. The older rappers with experience don't get mainstream airplay, with the exception of Jay-Z.

To those who dislike rap/hip hop: I see no problem with stating you don't like the overall message, the lyrics, the beats, etc. However, I wish some of you would realize there are some artists who actually tell a story without being violent or misogynistic. I'm not particularly a fan or rock or country, but I can recognize a good song, regardless of the genre.

So I ask, what specifically is it about rap or hip hop (other than artists who use violence, extreme profanity, and misogyny) that some of you find so diplorable?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM

11,394 posts, read 11,131,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Because the fan base for mainstream rap is mid teens to early-mid 20s. I think it's harder for a 16 year old to relate to a late 20s-early 30s lyricist who speaks about more mature concepts. However, this WASN'T the case 10, 15, even 20 years ago. Soulja Boy is NOT a rapper.

Jay-Z is arguably the best still in the game. He's well over 25. Common and Talib Kweli are too. The older rappers with experience don't get mainstream airplay, with the exception of Jay-Z.

To those who dislike rap/hip hop: I see no problem with stating you don't like the overall message, the lyrics, the beats, etc. However, I wish some of you would realize there are some artists who actually tell a story without being violent or misogynistic. I'm not particularly a fan or rock or country, but I can recognize a good song, regardless of the genre.

So I ask, what specifically is it about rap or hip hop (other than artists who use violence, extreme profanity, and misogyny) that some of you find so diplorable?
OK - I'll bite

Most mainstream rap that floods hip hop airwaves and MTV does nothing but foster and embrace the "thug" and "get rich or die tryin" attitude and lifestyle. The lyrics are dumbed down to meet that age groups needs, and while it may not be "perverse" in its degree due to radio censorship, subtle sex and violence sells big time. Like you said in your post, mainstream rap is geared towards teens and young adults. This a very impressionable age group. It is also relevant that rap in general is favored by black and mexican youth, the same way heavy metal and alternative is by white youth. There will obviously be crossovers, but this is just the norm.

I've discussed this in other posts and it is relevant in this one as well. Youth emulate their idols. I believe there is a direct connection between violence in the black community and rap music. Think about this for a moment. Only roughly 7% of the U.S. population is black male, but roughly 40% of our prison population is black male. This is not all the fault of music, as poor upbringing (in money and quality both) play a major role, as well as the absence of a father figure in the lives of black youth (roughly 60% are in single family homes with the mother usually filling the post as parent).

The bottom line is that musicians, if thats what you want to call rappers, know what sells and they know their demographic well. Rap music exploits black youth and plays off of their insecurities. Educated members of the black community see this as a problem and many want to see a change. The problem is that youth will do what youth do, and by the time it matters, it is too late for many of them.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM

20,534 posts, read 33,662,562 times
It's a kiddie game ran by so called grown folks. If you're over 25, you do not matter anymore. They market the music to teens and early 20 year olds. Now I don't have a problem with people listening to Soulja Boy or whatever IN THE CLUB or at a party because that what that is. It's club music. Outside of clubs, the music has no business being played. I don't have none of that crap on my Ipod. I listen to the Jay Electronica, HISD, and of course, all the 90s hip hop since I grew up with it as I'm 26 now.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 AM

809 posts, read 1,865,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Are you talking about rap or are you talking about hip hop. They are two different genres of music.
You are sorely incorrect here. Be clear, This is a tactic used by the media to make you "think" they are separate when they are not. Hip Hop is the entire culture, Rapping is what the emcees of the culture do. If you didn't know that you're probably not a fan of the culture but more of a detractor.

Quote:
Soulja Boy and Bow Wow should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as Grand Master Flash and Run DMC.
They should be mentioned in the same discussion because they are all Rappers who are a part the Hip Hop culture.

Quote:
There are plenty of older hip-hop artist still kicking. I listen to Saul Williams, Dilated Peoples, People Under the Stairs, and others regularly.

Soulja Boy and Bow Wow are pop stars. Pop is always about what is the new shiny thing.
Saul Williams is not a rapper, he's a spoken word artist, please understand the topic title and discuss within the parameters.

-Again I think it's more of the labels controlling what is given and presented as a means of control so you have the Bow Wow's getting bigger budgets than a KRSOne or a Dilated(for example). I also think Hip Hoppers(fans,artists,DJ's) aren't really concerend with the direction the music aspect is going so long as the "powers that be" allow them to continue to hear it. no matter how much garbage is put out there. It's become a trendy genre whereas if you're a rapper coming out at age 15 you're more appealing than if you come out at age 25. I think that's dumb. It really shouldn't matter what age you are if you got the skills to pull it off. this is how the labels control Hip Hop. and we all see that Hip Hop is wide range so you have those that like Teenybop Hip Hop like Soljah Boy and Drake and then you have those who like Grown Folks music like Rick Ross or Kayne West, to catagorize artists who've come out at different ages. but when you check the budgets, Soljah Boy probably gets more budget to promote with than Rick Ross. or say a Drake gets more budget than say Chamillionaire does. these are the facts people.

"WE" the people of Hip Hop(fans,artists, DJ's) don't control it or else Kool Herc would be the Head of Interscope and GMF would be the true head of Def Jam and not people like Jimmy Iovine,Steve Rifkind or Lyor Cohen running these labels.

This is why you have so many good rappers going the indie route to stay alive. or they just throw in the towel altogether for lack of funding. Truth is, they are probably way tighter than the Soljah Boy's of the world but they get no love. hmmmm...conspiracy. I think so.

Hip Hop(for the rapper) used to be structured like this:

Artist/Get signed/have a career/learn the business...

now it's like this:

Artist/learn the business/have a career...

So basically Forget about getting signed if you're past the age of 25. Start your own label because the Big Boys are not going to pick you up unless you get co-signed by another rapper that's got clout like a Jay Z or a 50cent or Eminem or Snoop. Otherwise "Don't get mad, UPS is hiring" ...lol...sad truth of the matter.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's because what the kids are listening to is not hip hop. It is pop music. Real hip hop is rarely played on the radio or on TV. Most of it is not mainstream. What most people refer to as hip hop is not really hip hop.

So is it's time for a Coup in Hip Hop? becasuse I'm frankly sick of all the teenybopp hip hop running the genre into the ground...literally.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
rap goes in the direction it's "fans" allow it to go in.... young people have always been the driving force in hip hop music, and they don't care... So naturally, the people who run it will cater to the main fan base.
I disagree. younger people "followed" Hip Hop, but if you look back it was the 25-30something's who Lead the charge. GMF, RUN-DMC, Ice T, MC Lyte, Latifah, Schoolly D, P.E. KRSOne..all these rappers were mid-20's when they came out. but nowadays if you come out at 25+ you are a poriah and have to struggle. but you come at teeny age of 13 you're the apple of Hip Hop's eye. that's wack. back then younger kids couldn't afford to buy hip hop. their parents had to pay for it.

Even today, younger kids can't even afford to buy hip hop. now they just download it. further killing the money and dreams of other aspiring rappers.

Automated radio is already putting the DJ part of Hip Hop out of business, now they are working on the Rappers.

Once all the good rappers are silenced. Hip Hop will officially be dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music