Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,420 times

Advertisements

First let me say that I predict this thread will live forever....let's begin.

1. WHY is it when a rapper gets past 25 years old he's considered washed up, old and not worthy of holding a mic?
If I recall Grand Master Flash, RUN DMC and many others who started Hip Hop had SIDEBURNS AND MUSTACHES when they first came out. so I don't get that nonsense at all. Aren't older rappers more experienced rappers and therefore will have more to say and make it more listenable and truthful as oppose to some snot nose 16 yr old like Bow Wow(21 now) or Soljah boy rapping about girls, clubs, cars and "being grown" ?? <- that sounds like a job for a Grown person don't you think?

Willie Nelson(country music) is 70 years old and STILL putting out records. Michael Jackson(pop music) turned 50 and was about to put out an album and DVD before he died. So WHY does the Hip Hop community choose to hate on rappers that get older?

Whose really in control of the Hip Hop genre because it doesn't seem like the Hip Hop commmunity is, but more the record labels that run the Hip Hop community.

sound off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
First let me say that I predict this thread will live forever....let's begin.

1. WHY is it when a wrapper gets past 25 years old he's considered washed up, old and not worthy of holding a mic?

'

Ahh they were washed up before they even started to write that despicable crap. To be worthy of holding a mic you must respect women for starters. You dont ryhme words about shoving bottles up women and killing people and expect to be respected.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
First let me say that I predict this thread will live forever....
I predict...It doesn't.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
'

Ahh they were washed up before they even started to write that despicable crap. To be worthy of holding a mic you must respect women for starters. You dont ryhme words about shoving bottles up women and killing people and expect to be respected.
Just curious, why do you continue to spell it "wrap" and expect to be respected?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Are you talking about rap or are you talking about hip hop. They are two different genres of music.

Soulja Boy and Bow Wow should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as Grand Master Flash and Run DMC.

There are plenty of older hip-hop artist still kicking. I listen to Saul Williams, Dilated Peoples, People Under the Stairs, and others regularly.

Soulja Boy and Bow Wow are pop stars. Pop is always about what is the new shiny thing.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM

990 posts, read 1,726,473 times
My mom always told me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. So I'm leaving this thread alone.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,220,591 times
Young fickle audiences control hiphop, they always looking for the newest "cutest" rapper to come out with the catchiest new tune accompanied by a stupid new dance. Kids dont care about lyricism, they dont care about storytelling, or substance, its really not fair to older to mcs, cuz they might still be putting out quality products, but the kids dont wanna hear it. In my car, i have to listen to my hip hop when the kids arent around, they just want to listen to soulja boy,tpain,bow wow,mims. The record companys put out what sells and unfortunaltely bubblegum sells! Its sad youll never have somebody like the Rolling Stones,Aerosmith, in hip hop, its a young mans game!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Young fickle audiences control hiphop, they always looking for the newest "cutest" rapper to come out with the catchiest new tune accompanied by a stupid new dance. Kids dont care about lyricism, they dont care about storytelling, or substance, its really not fair to older to mcs, cuz they might still be putting out quality products, but the kids dont wanna hear it. In my car, i have to listen to my hip hop when the kids arent around, they just want to listen to soulja boy,tpain,bow wow,mims. The record companys put out what sells and unfortunaltely bubblegum sells! Its sad youll never have somebody like the Rolling Stones,Aerosmith, in hip hop, its a young mans game!
That's because what the kids are listening to is not hip hop. It is pop music. Real hip hop is rarely played on the radio or on TV. Most of it is not mainstream. What most people refer to as hip hop is not really hip hop.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,220,591 times
YES but real hip hop listeners "headz" dont buy music, thats y real hip hop artists get dropped by labels and end up going the indie route or just stop puttting out music.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's because what the kids are listening to is not hip hop. It is pop music. Real hip hop is rarely played on the radio or on TV. Most of it is not mainstream. What most people refer to as hip hop is not really hip hop.
Exactly. That's why I mostly listen to Underground Hip-Hop.

Also I've never heard a song involving shoving a bottle up in somebody in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music