Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,822,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I clicked on the one above and it sounded like they were screaming while choking on their own vomit.
You said it. I've done the same as you. Lucky me as I had prudently turned the volume down beforehand so nobody was shocked except me.
Even though I spread a rep to BigSwede for posting something, this screaming song was not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wrap might even have that one beat..
If I have to choose, I'll choose rap no doubt. I know your attitude towards rap yet I like some mainstream rap songs. Yep, these rap guys curse often and they cultivate drugs, crime and stuff like this but some of them do have talent and do a way more better stuff then many of modern non-rap musicians and of course many of the rappers are more talented than punk musicians who incidentally used to curse a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,534,571 times
I have broad taste in music and a very tolerant ear. the exception being what scandanavians seem to enjoy listening to, that would be going far back as I remember and including abba, a band which I would gladly stub a toe attempting to change the station before another note reaches my auditory canal.

I really dig the blues and this artist now long gone from us is in my opinion the best representative of that genre.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post

I really dig the blues and this artist now long gone from us is in my opinion the best representative of that genre.
I've just looked at the Wiki and they say he's "the Father of Chicago blues".
Well, I've just listened to the song you posted and want to quote the string off the Back Street Kids by Black Sabbath, "Rock 'n Roll music is the only thing I really dig"
I've tried to like your song though I can't apprehend the beauty of blues. I'm trying to find a melody but I don't see it. That's why I don't listen to jazz or blues. What do I do wrong?

Thanks anyway for posting.

Incidentally, the best salesman so far is bs13690 because once he had posted the only one song I wanted to buy some Muse album

Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
the exception being what scandanavians seem to enjoy listening to, that would be going far back as I remember and including abba, a band which I would gladly stub a toe attempting to change the station before another note reaches my auditory canal.
ABBA is the international band. They have sold more albums all over the world than Led Zeppelin did. That means all the world likes them (me included). That's is why it's not correct to say that only Scandinavians listen to ABBA

Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM

muddy waters and others of his generation electrified the blues. through improvisation that music paved the way for the very music you and I both love.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
muddy waters and others of his generation electrified the blues. through improvisation that music paved the way for the very music you and I both love.

do you dig this song?

here is the original

Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM

here's foghats breakthrough hit

a rock classic to be sure, written by willie dixon in 1954 and released by chess records with muddy waters performing

here's the muddy waters original

if you take the golden paved road from all current american rock/hip hop and follow it back to the source you will find yourself in the mississippi delta.

I can do the same with "I can't quit you" "bring it on home" and a plethora of other rock interpretations of blues songs. the rolling stones (which took their name from a muddy waters song) were essentially a muddy waters cover band. the allman brothers the grateful dead bob dylan the birds the doors the yardbirds et al all covered willie dixon tunes and that coverage is occurring to this day.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I understand that. I mean I can't get what particular features people dig in blues or jazz. Maybe I just don't like the improvisation, I don't know.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
do you dig this song?
I don't care for this song (though I like many other Led Zep songs like "Boogie With Stu" or "Dazed And Confused")

Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 AM

also a cover

it's all good, music is subjective and there are no wrong answers, well except maybe for scandanavian pop.

here is the yardbird's cover released prior to the LZ cover

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music