Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,880 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of how many of us have no time to discover new musicians. I bet even here most people only post songs yet rarely listen to the tons of songs other people have posted. Thereby the purpose of this thread is to post the most representative and typical song of the musician/band you know well to help other people to discover this musician and to understand it better. Let's say you'll play the role of your fave musician/band's representative.

I'd like to add that the posting of some very famous musicians are welcomed too because say most of us know that there's a band called Deep Purple; at the same time a few people here have listened to all their albums so usually people know only a couple of their songs like "Smoke On The Water" believing that this is their most representative song which is not true in my opinion.

Let me start with Smokie. It's an English band, their genre could be described as poprock. The pinnacle of their success was in the faraway 70s. They played soft and melodic songs, very gentle, calm (as opposed to say Led Zeppelin who used to often play energetic and loud music). The key words for the Smokie could be 'harmonic songs with no intricate structure'.

Here's the song I assume could be called '100 percent Smokie-ish'. If you don't like this one you hardly would love all their other stuff imo.

If You Think You Know How To Love Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_cAdNJiNY

Now the time has come to post your musician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,630,166 times
This is a difficult one for me because I usually like bands that mix it up or have evolved. For instance, if you were to ask for a typical Beatles song you would have to stop and think if you wanted Rock N Roll Beatles or psychedelic Beatles.

Posted below is the best one I could think of. Some would argue that it is not representative but I know that it is the song I think of when I think of Muse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q

Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
For instance, if you were to ask for a typical Beatles song you would have to stop and think if you wanted Rock N Roll Beatles or psychedelic Beatles.
Exactly. When it comes to the bands like The Beatles it's hard to choose the only one song as they have pretty miscellaneous albums and singles. Nevertheless the typical song of theirs is "I Want To Hold Your Hand" imo. Their psychedelic stuff hardly could be called typical as the melodic rock hits made them that famous all other the world. Most people love their rock songs no doubt.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,353,346 times
One of the best hardcore bands ever.
This is their whole ep from 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd-h5gv2h-Q
Another band recorded in 1983 or 1984 I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdlzi96yd8Q
Swedish legends Anti Cimex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zzqI0wUeY

Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
I was thinking of how many of us have no time to discover new musicians. I bet even here most people only post songs yet rarely listen to the tons of songs other people have posted. Thereby the purpose of this thread is to post the most representative and typical song of the musician/band you know well to help other people to discover this musician and to understand it better. Let's say you'll play the role of your fave musician/band's representative.

I'd like to add that the posting of some very famous musicians are welcomed too because say most of us know that there's a band called Deep Purple; at the same time a few people here have listened to all their albums so usually people know only a couple of their songs like "Smoke On The Water" believing that this is their most representative song which is not true in my opinion.

Let me start with Smokie. It's an English band, their genre could be described as poprock. The pinnacle of their success was in the faraway 70s. They played soft and melodic songs, very gentle, calm (as opposed to say Led Zeppelin who used to often play energetic and loud music). The key words for the Smokie could be 'harmonic songs with no intricate structure'.

Here's the song I assume could be called '100 percent Smokie-ish'. If you don't like this one you hardly would love all their other stuff imo.

Now the time has come to post your musician.
Your right. I wonder how many people ever click on all the videos posted. No way would I click on a video with some street thugs twisting their wrists and grabbing their crotch while wearing their hat on backwards and pants so large they could conceal 13 semi automatic weapons inside.

You know I am always fasinated what our friends across the seas find interesting and good about music. I do click on your little known posts because I have grown to trust your taste.

I will say that I listened to the entire song you posted. I like the guys voice a lot, I like the harmonys. I thought it was a tad teenybopperish and when the camera showed the audience was full of kids that verified that for me. Still a real good song. I liked it.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Posted below is the best one I could think of. Some would argue that it is not representative but I know that it is the song I think of when I think of Muse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q
I have never heard this song before. I must admit the song is excellent. Thanks for posting. The intro part is just too wonderful for words. Well, maybe I'll start to study their albums one day as you got me motivated by posting the song.
Here's the studio version I've listened to (I don't like to listen to live versions during the first acquaintance with the song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkIrvuU_zE

Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I wonder how many people ever click on all the videos posted.
Ditto.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I will say that I listened to the entire song you posted. I like the guys voice a lot, I like the harmonys. I thought it was a tad teenybopperish and when the camera showed the audience was full of kids that verified that for me. Still a real good song. I liked it.
As you are into the progressive rock and love the bands like Genesis I believe most of your fave songs must be pretty intricate and sophisticated when it comes the structure and musical technique. Well, Smokie don't have all these things and in fact I believe their target audience used to be girls. Anyway I loved many of their songs when I was a kid because they had pleasant voices and nice tunes. Now I don't listen to them much yet still like some of their songs.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
while wearing their hat on backwards and pants so large they could conceal 13 semi automatic weapons inside.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Ditto.
I clicked on the one above and it sounded like they were screaming while choking on their own vomit. That one insults my intelligence. Wrap might even have that one beat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music