Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Not sure what a 'genri' is, but the first time I heard 'Iron Man' by Sabbath at age 11, I was hooked. It was everything that pop music was not.

While I enjoy a wide variety of musical genres, metal and other darker music have been my definite favorites.
I know as i misspelled .

As for Sabbath the song Sabbath Bloody Sabbath would be the song that started me on the metal genre when my uncle bought me that album with that titled song on it a few years after i started to listen to rock .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I know as i misspelled .

As for Sabbath the song Sabbath Bloody Sabbath would be the song that started me on the metal genre when my uncle bought me that album with that titled song on it a few years after i started to listen to rock .
Yes, one of their gems!! We had the best used record store in Bellevue, Wa, when I was a kid...I found a British import of their greatest hits that had that on it. I was (and still am) blown away by their musical genius.

It also helped that the FM 'album rock' stations back then had no setlist they had to follow. We who were born around '64 typically had a wealth of rock material for our 'education' thanks to it...same cannot be said now.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Too many influences to count...but one stands out. Allison Steele, the Nightbird, was a late-night DJ on WNEW FM in NYC. She had this great, smokey voice, and a lead-in that often segued into music by a little known group called Pink Floyd. Back in the late 60's the Floyds music was hard to find, a lot of music stores had never heard of them. I loved her show.

Here's her intro...and imagine Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun starting up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIfXTZHjZZE

Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 AM

319 posts, read 634,391 times
I have a few albums that I consider gateway albums that totally changed my outlook on music. A little background: I've always been a music guy. I always had a radio by my bed, from as early as I can remember, probably around 1980 or so, so I was always listening to top 40 radio or oldies (which is where my love for girl groups and all the girl group offshoots comes from) or stations that were just beginning to do the "The best of the 60s, 70s and today" (basically classic rock programming right now) thing where I would get lessons on stuff like The Pink Floyd, Clapton, The Stones etc. At the same time, my old man was playing his Dylan, Kristofferson, Willie Nelson etc., and that has definitely rubbed off on me.

So, I had a pretty well rounded musical upbringing and I was listening to a lot of stuff like KISS, Alice Cooper and Def Lepperd in the mid 80s. Then a kid that lived next door brought me two tapes he had dubbed from his older step brother's collection (this was early 1988, I'm pretty sure I was 11) and they blew me away because they were like nothing I had ever heard in my life. Those were Guns N Roses' "Appetite for Destruction" and NWA's "Straight Outta Compton". These were real people singing about real things (or at least as real as I could imagine, at 11 and from a small midwestern town I couldn't tell if they were legitimate or not) and these songs (outside of the singles) weren't getting played on the radio but deserved to be. Those two albums were the ones that forced me to start going outside of the box to find music. Things progressed pretty quickly from there. At 14 I heard the Descendents "Milo Goes To College" and it was full of fast fun guitar sounds and angsty songs about girls and I knew that these guys were on to something, this is what stupid, hormonal, spastic me could relate to. My immersion into punk rock pretty much is on them...and I love them for it.

Funny side note, sometime in my early to mid 20s I started going back and listening to a lot of the folk and country stuff that my dad played for me as a kid and starting drawing direct parallels between punk and folk/country and hip hop that I wasn't able to draw in my teens. Since then, I've always found those three genres very much similar, no matter how much the people that listen to those genres exclusively won't admit it. Listening to early Dylan records again, with a fresh ear after not hearing them for 15 years, hit me just as hard as those Guns N Roses and NWA tapes did back in the late 80s.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Well, I remember lol when I was in early teens my parents specifically had the house built so their bedroom was on one end and mine on the other. Dad would be listening to Johnny Cash and Pete Fountain (both of whom I grew to appreciate as I got older) - While I had my record player cranked with, among others:

da man, Jimi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFSaqFzSO8

Janis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSQCatgWaEE

Led Zeppelin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALjWAv_bXk

For Christmas one year my dad bought me one of the huge headsets (some of you guys remember those! weighed 10lbs lol) so he didn't have to listen to my music At least he didn't yell at me "shut that crap off!" but it was music like this that shaped my music tastes now - though I am eclectic when it comes to music.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
My earliest music memories were the Moody Blues and Cat Stevens from my mom, and Van Morrison and Neil Young from my dad.
I went through so many different music-listening phases, I don't think I could ever pick one that mattered more than any others. I recall that when Guns N Roses "Use Your Illusion" I and II came out it changed my life a great deal.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
As a little girl I loved rock 'n' roll, but whenever I heard bits 'n' pieces of blues, I was very drawn to it. But what really triggered my love for blues began with John Lee Hooker's 1970 Live at Soledad Prison. The local radio station in the po'dunk town I lived in actually played some numbers off this release (and I still have the album).

Next, it was Canned Heat (who, by the way, made recordings with Hooker), then the Allman Brothers Band. My love for the music kicked into high-gear, became my passion, through local blues bands in the early-80's (Curtis Salgado, for example) and it's grown ever since. I listen to all kinds of blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg0cG...eature=related

Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
For me it was when i started to watch the Partridge Family as a little kid in the 70's as up to that point i was into the bubblegum pop and so watching that tv show every friday nite forever changed me into a Rock n Roller and it's different variations over the later decades.

One of the earliest songs that changed me to like Rock music when i was seven or eight years old .

Youtube - The Partridge Family - I Can Feel Your Heartbeat
Dont worry, I wont laugh at you. The Partridge Family got me interested in more then just the music. I used to like that guy Rubin who was their manager. The recording studios got me excited too.

Anyway the song that got me going was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XsR...eature=related

Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM

408 posts, read 723,694 times
As a kid, my dad used to always listen to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp4aTmZeoAo

and as a polar opposite, my mother used to put me on to stuff like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP3n...eature=related

between the 2 of them, they had over 500 some odd records ranging from Delta Blues to whatever the "Art of Noise" would be considered (lol)

Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Kiss-Makin' Love started it all.
I think Kiss,Elvis and the Beach Boys were my first musical favourites.
Kiss was followed by Iron Maiden and Mötley Crüe in 1981 and 1982.
First favourite punk band was The Exploited and the first favourite jazz orchestra was Count Basie,the Atomic Mr. Basie lp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music