Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,934,087 times

Advertisements

Rock and roll---The Beatles, "She Loves You."
Blues---B.B. King, "The Thrill is Gone"
Soul---The Temptations, "My Girl"
Jazz---Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd, "One Note Samba"
Pop---Frank Sinatra, "Witchcraft"
Classical---Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (Philippe Entremont/Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic)
Reggae---Toots and the Maytals, "Funky Kingston"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,713,716 times
Mine was the Beatles. They even had a cartoon. They were pretty much done by the time I was born, but their music was still being played when I was young.

I knew the Partridge Family was a TV show, I didn't think of them as an actual band with real performers. Even though they released a single the year I was born, I didn't know about that for years later, and it was only in the past few years that I learned that David Cassidy was actually performing off camera in a band (not the Partridge Family, in other words) at the same general time.

I guess I thought the same of the Monkees, though they grew as musical performers, initially only Davy Jones and Peter Tork were musicians of any credibility...again, at the time, initially.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,580,826 times
MTV got the ball rolling for me having access to diffrent styles of music. You know not just what was on the radio.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Dont worry, I wont laugh at you. The Partridge Family got me interested in more then just the music. I used to like that guy Rubin who was their manager. The recording studios got me excited too.
I thought you were going to say Susan Dey got you excited .

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
MTV got the ball rolling for me having access to diffrent styles of music. You know not just what was on the radio.
Definitely MTV as that's what really CHANGED me from a 70's Rocker to an 80's New Waver .

Infact someone asked me what was the song or group that changed me from the 70's to the 80's that i still am today and that was when i went and bought the cassette ''B-52's - Wild Planet'' in 1981 when i first joined the navy and that album made me a 80's New Wave junkie forever .

Like the songs on it .. ''Devil in my Car'' and also ''Quiche Lorraine''. Where's the New Wave party at .

Youtube - B-52's Devil In My Car and Quiche Lorraine

Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,487,692 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDtV...om=PL&index=20

Misfits. 1982. Been hooked ever since. Raw, simple. No BS punk rock.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,212,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
For me it was when i started to watch the Partridge Family as a little kid in the 70's as up to that point i was into the bubblegum pop and so watching that tv show every friday nite forever changed me into a Rock n Roller and it's different variations over the later decades.

One of the earliest songs that changed me to like Rock music when i was seven or eight years old .

Youtube - The Partridge Family - I Can Feel Your Heartbeat
"Danny, how would you like to be Playmate of the Month?" "Mom!!!"

Good old uncle Reuben...

Is paying money for nostalgia a good thing, or a bad thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjII3yywsUg

Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDtV...om=PL&index=20

Misfits. 1982. Been hooked ever since. Raw, simple. No BS punk rock.
I was at one of their last shows (with Danzig) in Santa Monica in 83, they were one of the best, very talented vuys. Fun show BTW.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,941,708 times
Nine Inch Nails, definitely.

I remember being in high school and listening to The Fragile in its entirety almost every night before going to bed. The mix of noises, melodies and instrumentals hit me like no other artist ever had previously. From that I segued into other "electronic" artists like Aphex Twin and The Chemical Brothers and really found a type of music that I loved that wasn't all that mainstream and didn't get radio air time or much presence on MTV or other mass media outlets.

What's funny is that Trent Reznor is probably still my favorite musician, and The Fragile still remains my favorite album of all time.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM

72 posts, read 142,171 times
What shaped my fave music genre would actually be listening to the radio. When I was younger I would go to sleep with the radio on and what would be playing was the "Quiet Storm" which plays adult soul and R&B music. Hearing what a TRUE artist sounds like definitely played a role in my love for Neo Soul music. I find this music relaxing and comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music