Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,651,077 times

Advertisements

For me it was when i started to watch the Partridge Family as a little kid in the 70's as up to that point i was into the bubblegum pop and so watching that tv show every friday nite forever changed me into a Rock n Roller and it's different variations over the later decades.

One of the earliest songs that changed me to like Rock music when i was seven or eight years old .

Youtube - The Partridge Family - I Can Feel Your Heartbeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,888,784 times
Anything along these lines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3LphELwQI

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,548,389 times
Default anime & video gameplay music/songs

for me, songs played in anime cartoons & video games...
so gameplay music... kinda like this sound as an example

Paul Oakenfold - Hypnotized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTdBZd9WMo

& like this kinda music... a mixture of classic
symphonic dramatic...

(for FF you have to wait until the talkin stops)

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTLkpZOSEg0

& a lot of background anime music... so music
that help create mood feelings/ atmospheric ...

Dragon Ball Z Movie 13 : Wrath of the Dragon (Part 1/7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Hp-MdL2BA

Jim

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,109,440 times
being the youngest of 8 kids, I had a plethora of music to choose from at a very early age,

my elder 2 sisters were listening to- the Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, etc....

I go across the hall in my two oldest brothers room and they're listening to- Harry Chapin, The Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Beach Boys, Chicago, etc......

this is all b4 my 10th birthday in 1975, and I loved it all

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,227,085 times
For Rock it would have to be Jimi Hendrix, especially his first two albums with Mitch Mitchell on Drums.

For Punk Rock it was the Dead Kennedys.

For Jazz it was Buddy Rich.

For Jazz/Funk it is Incognito.

For electronic it is Mo Horizons.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,186,288 times
the one 'musical revelation' that sticks out in my head would be the first time i heard Rage Against the Machine. i was in 8th grade at the time. my folks weren't OVERLY strict, but i never was allowed to buy harder music, so most of the stuff i was into was fairly innocent (Hootie and the Blowfish, Boyz II Men, older classic rock, etc). then one day my buddy (whose parents were also fairly strict), played RATM's self-titled album for me. i just remember being dumbfounded by it. it was a crazy mix of flowing lyrics, unorthodox guitar riffs, and an overall sense of, well, rage. i was hooked. i remember buying a copy of 'Evil Empire' when it came out and feeling like such a badass for buying something that 'hardcore' (yes, i was that big of a dweeb, folks).

to this day, RATM is one of my favorite bands. and whenever i hear any track from either their self-titled album or Evil Empire, i instantly start reminiscing back to my adolescence. ahh, memories!

Mike

Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,741,724 times
Not sure what a 'genri' is, but the first time I heard 'Iron Man' by Sabbath at age 11, I was hooked. It was everything that pop music was not.

While I enjoy a wide variety of musical genres, metal and other darker music have been my definite favorites.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,361,730 times
Dylan, Paxton, St Marie., Cohen . . songs of social justice and and songs with strong emotional impact.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,408,395 times
This is a great question! Bravo 6'3"!!

The stuff we hear first we never quite shake off.

For me, Sinatra, Marvin, Beatles, Miles, and Hendrix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music