Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Old hippies will have a field day with this site.
It is a place for wallowing in classic rock concert nostalgia.
You can tshare your favorite concert memories.
There is a section for photos of shows, tickets etc.

Classic Rock Concerts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Old hippies will have a field day with this site.
It is a place for wallowing in classic rock concert nostalgia.
You can tshare your favorite concert memories.
There is a section for photos of shows, tickets etc.

Classic Rock Concerts
That's a great link! I'm thinking I need to share my memories of my 70's concert days with someone before I start forgetting them.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,643 times
Great Topic.

My classic rock concert was 1968. St. Louis, Mo. I was 15 and had gone with some friends to see the wildly popular Steppenwolf. They had hit big with "Born to be Wild." We couldn't wait! Kiel Auditorium.

We get there and the place is just packed. They lower the lights and the opening band takes the stage. Big group. None of us were all that familiar with them. They started playing and were AMAZING! Their entire set had us on our feet screaming for more. Great songs, amazing singers, tight harmonies.

They finish their set and Steppenwolf takes the stage after a loooooong delay. Long story short, they sucked. Big time. By their second song we were all screaming for them to bring back the opening Band.

That Band? A little group that went by the rather odd name of Three Dog Night.

I hear things turned out well for them.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That's a great link! I'm thinking I need to share my memories of my 70's concert days with someone before I start forgetting them.
heh
Yes, good idea.
As some of y'all know, I did not quit listening to music after the 70's ended.
I really like some of today's music, and I've already posted my favorites in several other threads we have had here.
But having posted such a thread title [] I guess I could once again trot out the highlights cut and pasted from an old thread:

That's a tough one. There was Springsteen at Red Rocks--twice.
There was a fairly recent Richard Thompson show.

I'm going to go with the Who, Mammoth Gardens, Denver, June 9, 1970.
I, all of 16 years old, sat/stood directly in front of the stage.
Maybe Sugarloaf opened--I know I saw them at Mammoth, but I can't remember if it was that night.
I was there to see the Who.
It was a hot and sweaty show. The guys in the band were in their prime.
Tommy was played.
Keith Moon was up to his usual drumstick tricks.
Roger, in full 70's regalia, performed ably, as did John.
I shook hands with Pete Townshend.
It just doesn't get much better than that.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Man that is an interesting site. When I searched by site, I searched Madison Square Garden which is where I saw the majority of my 540 concerts and the list of shows over the years was so familiar. I was at most of then in the 70s and early 80s.

I was also reminded that in those days when a band came to town they did not just play one night. They played the same show 3 or 4 or 5 nights in a row. And we went to every one. They had to do multiple nights, the demand was that great for tickets. Who cares that it was the same show? If it's a great show then I could watch it 20 nights in a row. And what the hell.......it only cost about $7.00 for a ticket. An in those days all bands played for a minimum of 2 hours. Bands such as Genesis rarely played less then 3 hours without even taking a break.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,174,659 times
I'll go with my best stadium show for starters...the era of Super Jams....Robin Trower, Todd Rundgren and Jethro Tull ...1977...

Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWanderer View Post
I'll go with my best stadium show for starters...the era of Super Jams....Robin Trower, Todd Rundgren and Jethro Tull ...1977...
We did the Jethro Tull show in MSG in 77. What was it called....Minstrel Tour? Songs From The Wood was the theme that year as well as the oncor of the show. The good ol days man.....

Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Awesome, BWP !

CD wont let me rep you, so I owe you

I remember concerts in the 70's well....
Always HUGE venues...lotsa dope smoke. Very peaceful
for the most part......good times. :P
I see a '78 Rolling Stones concert at JFK no one
wrote about yet, so maybe I'll assault that forum
I :love: the 70's !! *sNiFfLe*

Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
I see a '78 Rolling Stones concert at JFK no one
wrote about yet, so maybe I'll assault that forum
I :love: the 70's !! *sNiFfLe*
I think the entire point of the site is to add your favorite concerts, so have at it!

But some concerts are already listed, even if nobody "claims" them.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
1973 was a great year for concerts in my area. Here's a few:

Opening act-John Martyn, second act-Free, headline act-Traffic
Opening act-Steeleye Span, headline act-Jethro Tull
Headline Act-Led Zeppelin
Opening act-Jesse Colin Young, second act-Dave Mason, headline act-Loggins and Messina
Opening act-Three Man Army, second act-REO Speedwagon, headline act-Doobie Brothers
Opening act-Linda Ronstadt, headline act-Neil Young

All at the Denver Colisseum. Whoops, almost forgot! Carole King at Red Rocks! (not really classic rock but an awesome show nonetheless).

AND!! Savoy Brown, warmup act. Headline act-Deep Purple. At that time it was the loudest rock band going! It was LOUD all right, and it was awesome to boot!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-18-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music