Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM

8 posts, read 10,649 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student in my twenties planning on attending CCU after I finish the next year at my community college in Illinois. I'd be coming with a room mate, and our rental budget for a place is going to be in the $600-$800/mo range. We would both be seeking employment at nursing home/long term care setting, of which I noticed there were quite a few of in the area. As far as what we require from a place, besides the obvious 2 bedroom thing, two bathrooms would be nice and a pet friendly place would be preferable but not requisite.

I selected CCU, and moreover South Carolina because I'd like to get a taste of warmer weather and live closer to the ocean -- staring at cornfields all day takes it's toll on me, and I've got some ferocious allergies to corn dust. I've visited South Carolina once before for a few weeks, and very much enjoyed the climate and people. After school, depending on the experience I have in the area, I'd seriously entertain the notion of staying in the coastal Carolina area, albeit probably in Charleston.

What I haven't worked out yet is specifically where to move or what areas to check out when I go down to visit later this year. Conway, of course, puts me right next to the CCU campus. Myrtle Beach, however, is about 20 minutes away from CCU which is honestly a shorter commute than I make to school now. Additionally, it seems like it's probably a better fit for two bachelors in their early 20's. I'd assume that there is a bit more to do.

We're both white -- not that I have anything against other races. I'd just been lead to believe that racial tension can be higher in the South than we're accustomed to up north, and don't see any reason to invite conflict. If it's a non issue, then I have no preference in neighborhood past the extent that the area is generally safe. We aren't alarmed by the idea of locking car and apartment doors, and other standard precautions. What we don't want to deal with are areas where owning a nice car is like wearing a "burglarize me" sticker. I'd also prefer to avoid being robbed or assaulted. Actually, what would be great is a laid back, friendly neighborhood. Sort of place where you can have your neighbor over for burgers and beers.

If it helps, while in the area (probably over a 2-3 year period), I'd like to explore things like hunting, scuba diving, hiking, bicycling, and a variety of outdoor activities.

To sum things up, I'd basically like to know:

* Which areas would be a good fit for us, and fit the $600-$800/mo rent range.

*We will have transportation, but would enjoy it if some combination of bus riding/bicycling allowed us to commute to work, weather permitting.

* How does the social climate differ from rural/small-town Southern Illinois? Similarities? Differences?

* Are there any hazards unique to the area that we should be aware of? What precautions come with them? Illinois, for example, has very few creatures capable of harming a human save for a few species of snake that are generally rare apart from the southern tip, and of course recluse spiders. The Carolina coast, from what I understand, is home to a few more elements of concern -- particularly snakes, gators, sharks, riptides, etc. As outdoorsy people, these things don't scare us off -- in fact, I've always wanted to see some of these things -- I just want to exercise due diligence.

Last edited by msantoro; 05-13-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Cape Landing - Apartments for Rent in Myrtle Beach , SC | About Us

Well here is one that wouldn't be so far from the college. They accept pets with a fee. They also have a pool. There are plenty others around. This one I know is in your price range.
This is off of 17 business in Myrtle Beach.

Did you check into campus housing they are building new add'l ones near the school.

Conway is a lovely town with lots of festivals. You will have a movie theater, grocery stores, and other stores in and around the town.

Not sure if they have too many apartment homes, but I imagine they should.

I have yet to see a southern snake and I've been coming here for 11 years, and now live here.

Don't set your feet in any swampy areas, edges of ponds......there could be an alligator.

Scuba lessons are given in Murrells Inlet.

You really should have a car for the area unless your living on campus, and then still you would want a car. Nothing special, just some sort of transport for yourselves.

People are friendly. I have spent an hour talking with a college kid that I didn't even know. They like to talk, and are nice and extremely helpful and friendly.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do own a car, but I also ride a bicycle whenever possible, mostly to stay in shape.

I looked at campus housing, and it's an option, but I'll be turning 24, and might feel out of place. Also, my room mate wouldn't be attending college at all, and since I'd likely be taking classes just two days a week but working three or four where I get a job will probably impact my choice of location.

Do you not recommend living in Myrtle Beach itself -- or rather what I mean is are there specific areas of Myrtle Beach that we should avoid living in? Just curious. It looks like most nursing homes/assisted living facilities in the area are located there, so I would most likely be working there.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Most likely your job would be in Myrtle Beach although Conway does have a hospital. I'm not sure what nursing home/health care is associated with that hospital.

To be by CCU and your work try living on the outside of town area. It will be an easier ride to work and to school. Someplace near 544. For one thing, downtown can get to crowded in the summers and it would take you forever to get to school. Your going to want to be where you can hop right onto 544. That is one reason I gave you the above apartment. I knew their pricing and pet rules from checking for someone else.
Downtown is too full of tourist and traffic, best to stay away.( as far as living goes)
You may need to find a back road to your work place and that would help you get around the
tourist traffic. ( we can help you when the time comes to find that route)
I can try to find some more that are in the middle of MB and your school. I'll be back..........

Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM

I very much appreciate it! I should only hope everybody down there is as helpful and friendly. Are there any real jewels in the area? Things you recommend seeing or doing outside of the regular tourist stuff? Restaurants, sights, etc.

Last edited by msantoro; 05-13-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
You can get rid of much of your wool clothing.

You will not find much racial tension. Everyone is accepted by how they act not the color of their skin.

Summer lasts through October and you'll find September and October to be the most pleasant months of the year.

Sunblock is a year round fact of life.

Congrats on the move and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area