Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to SC too, and have found some houses in Conway that are of interest. I am a bit concerned now that you say there are "trailers" in the area. Are all of these in certain sections of the city. The houses that we are looking into are in the $300,000 range, so it would be upsetting to spend that much on a house and have a trailer as a neighbor. Can anyone enlighten me about what areas to avoid. Also, any information about the HS would be appreciated. Is all of the attention on sports, or can non-jocks be happy there too?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounsure View Post
We are looking to relocate to SC too, and have found some houses in Conway that are of interest. I am a bit concerned now that you say there are "trailers" in the area. Are all of these in certain sections of the city. The houses that we are looking into are in the $300,000 range, so it would be upsetting to spend that much on a house and have a trailer as a neighbor. Can anyone enlighten me about what areas to avoid. Also, any information about the HS would be appreciated. Is all of the attention on sports, or can non-jocks be happy there too?
sounsure this thread was from last year, just FYI.

Conway is a large town with all types of housing. If you are looking in the $300,000 price range and in a sub-division than you most likely won't have a manufactured home (that's what they're called here) on your street. So you know, there are manufactured homes all over this area because it's affordable housing for many people. In the south it's common to see a manufactured home mixed with stick built, modular etc...

Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
Hey! I'm a college student from Indiana and I am looking to transfer to Coastal Carolina. I'm trying to find a descent place to live. Any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM

882 posts, read 3,536,886 times
Hart Property Management - They do rentals around the CCU area. More importantly, are you looking to live w/in walking distance to campus or will you be driving around... ? There are tons of rentals in and around the CCU immediate area.. not to mention up and down the beach itself.
Hart Realty & Property Management: Myrtle Beach, Carolina Forest, Conway Real Estate, Rentals

Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Whoever was worried about crime in the next county owes me a new keyboard! Horry County is larger than the state of Rhode Island and you are driving a minimum of thirty minutes to touch the county line in any direction. And the neighboring counties are more rural.

Look at the area in person to decide if you like the mix of homes. Even good, bad, expensive and downtrodden neighborhoods can occur within a block of one another. The nicest neighborhood when I was in high school is now blessed with condos in place of 9 holes of the golf course and a new SuperWalmart at the entry- I'll just say that not everyone likes change.Most mobile homes are in the country and the lots there tend to be at least 1-2 acres so you don't even see your neighbor in many cases. When I was growing up it was common for people to live on family land- so the trailer and the 3000 SF brick home might be owned by cousins in the same family.

The Catholic church (St James) is east of the Waccamaw River and is actually pretty large.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 52,892 times
What makes you think that you are better then people who live in trailers? MOST of the people who are living in trailers in Conway are doing so because of the areas high home prices. Some people who live in trailers, like me, like to take vacations and have a good time with their hard earned money. I was in Costa Rica lounging in a pool with a Daiquiri in my hand this past November. What about you? Some of us don't care what people think of our homes but I can bet that we have a better life experience then you. We are enjoying our money instead of throwing it away in real estate that is RAPIDLY declining in value. I'm spending my money enjoying life. I live on a beautiful lake in a beautiful neighborhood and I keep my yard looking nice. Some trailer owners give us bad names but I don't care. Its their life and your property values are hemorrhaging WITHOUT a trailer moving in next door! And sorry to say, with this economy, your property values are only going to get worse and they will NEVER be what they once were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Hello,

I'm also looking in Conway and have been there several times. I would suggest going there before moving. It's a nice area but I'm sure very different than where you're from. I live in NJ and it was a bit of a culture shock when I first went there but each time I've visited I like it even more. There's a lot of open space but they are building up the area. Close to Myrtle Beach and they have an area in Conway with little shops and restaurants. The best thing is, it's very inexpensive to buy a house there and the taxes are low. Bad thing is you have to get used to trilers mixed in with houses along the roads. You can see a beautiful house and right next to it a beat up old trailer because of the zoning or lack of zoning. Other areas you can look at nearby are Longs, Loris, Socastee. Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 AM

GJ on your explanation of housing in this area. It makes those of us who live in "trailers" feel better. Take a look at the post that I just posted, it should be up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
sounsure this thread was from last year, just FYI.

Conway is a large town with all types of housing. If you are looking in the $300,000 price range and in a sub-division than you most likely won't have a manufactured home (that's what they're called here) on your street. So you know, there are manufactured homes all over this area because it's affordable housing for many people. In the south it's common to see a manufactured home mixed with stick built, modular etc...

Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM

i don't want you here if that is the way your brain works!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounsure View Post
we are looking to relocate to sc too, and have found some houses in conway that are of interest. i am a bit concerned now that you say there are "trailers" in the area. are all of these in certain sections of the city. The houses that we are looking into are in the $300,000 range, so it would be upsetting to spend that much on a house and have a trailer as a neighbor. Can anyone enlighten me about what areas to avoid. Also, any information about the hs would be appreciated. Is all of the attention on sports, or can non-jocks be happy there too?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM

I'd like to see what kind of house you live in. Trailers AREN'T always the first to go. It must suck to be ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
I'd stay away from "trailer houses" as they call them here in SC. You have to remember, you will be living in hurricane territory in Conway (tornados too) and the first thing to go is the trailers.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM

24 posts, read 58,782 times
I'd say if you're relocating from the north and don't want to feel the 'culture shock' as much... then look around the areas that run along 501 in Conway.... less rural.... more built up. Shopping, restaurants, closer to the beach. In fact, everywhere you go, "Closer to the beach... the better." My mother lives outside city limits of Conway.... not far from Carolina Forest. Her church is also St. James Catholic church, and that's the church I attend as well.... very nice....

don't sweat the trailers ) that's silly..... Zoning laws down here are different then up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area