Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
 
137 posts, read 575,542 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Southernme, I liked that reply! Here's a site that explains some of what's happening with housing.

B

Housing Crash Continues, Bubble Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmel1st View Post
What makes you think that you are better then people who live in trailers? MOST of the people who are living in trailers in Conway are doing so because of the areas high home prices. Some people who live in trailers, like me, like to take vacations and have a good time with their hard earned money. I was in Costa Rica lounging in a pool with a Daiquiri in my hand this past November. What about you? Some of us don't care what people think of our homes but I can bet that we have a better life experience then you. We are enjoying our money instead of throwing it away in real estate that is RAPIDLY declining in value. I'm spending my money enjoying life. I live on a beautiful lake in a beautiful neighborhood and I keep my yard looking nice. Some trailer owners give us bad names but I don't care. Its their life and your property values are hemorrhaging WITHOUT a trailer moving in next door! And sorry to say, with this economy, your property values are only going to get worse and they will NEVER be what they once were.

 
Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: SC
543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Reputation: 257
SouthernMel,

I think that you and I are on the same page. Being a native of SC and living in this area my entire life, I have heard some of the craziest things regarding mobile homes, the stereotyping of people who live in mobile homes and hurricanes.

To the person who said mobile homes are the first to go - I gotta tell ya, I lived through Hugo and watched it destroy anything from boats to brick homes. It just depends on the catagory of hurricane and the possible water and wind damage. Most mobile homes are built for catagory III hurricanes now.

To the person who is judging people who live in mobile homes - contrary to what you believe, people who live in mobile homes are not trashy.

I have family members who are well off financially and choose to live in nice mobile homes because they are land owners. They would much rather spend time on 5 plus acres, travel and do what they want to do with little to nothing for a mortgage payment. They do not want people from an HOA telling them how or what they can do with their property and they certainly feel like they get more for their money in their situations.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Conway, SC
23 posts, read 52,892 times
Reputation: 12
I appreciate your backup. I'm just really touchy on that subject as you can tell! lol. There is a HUGE stigma attached to people who live in a mobile home and seriously that is why this country is in the state that it is in. People feel like they HAVE to have everything!! That is NOT the case. Life is too short for all of that crap. I just dumped a friend because ALL, and I mean ALL, that she would ever talk about is her and her boyfriend buying a house. In this economy and with their situation I didn't feel like it was a good idea for them. Well, guess what, they did it anyway and I don't want to even hear it when they end up being foreclosed within the next year because they BOTH lose their jobs! I'm just tired of the geedyness and possessiveness of this country. That is why I escape it as often as I can. I'm ready to move to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
SouthernMel,

I think that you and I are on the same page. Being a native of SC and living in this area my entire life, I have heard some of the craziest things regarding mobile homes, the stereotyping of people who live in mobile homes and hurricanes.

To the person who said mobile homes are the first to go - I gotta tell ya, I lived through Hugo and watched it destroy anything from boats to brick homes. It just depends on the catagory of hurricane and the possible water and wind damage. Most mobile homes are built for catagory III hurricanes now.

To the person who is judging people who live in mobile homes - contrary to what you believe, people who live in mobile homes are not trashy.

I have family members who are well off financially and choose to live in nice mobile homes because they are land owners. They would much rather spend time on 5 plus acres, travel and do what they want to do with little to nothing for a mortgage payment. They do not want people from an HOA telling them how or what they can do with their property and they certainly feel like they get more for their money in their situations.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
 
272 posts, read 729,913 times
Reputation: 119
Trailers may be being built better, but the people who install them are under-regulated and unless you are able to supervise an install yourself you might find (too late) that your trailer is not tied down at all. See the insurance rates. No politics there. They want to sell insurance.

I think a big part of the stigma involves the communities that many trailer parks find themselves in. I've seen some around here that are beautiful, I would live in them myself. But there are too many of the other kind, the stereotypes, with loud drunks and druggers and NO landscaping (amateur is just fine with me) and dangerous installation (as in wires that become bare too fast) and unraised children.

Like everything else though, you pay for the nice ones.

There should be no stigma for trailers in general.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM
GJM
 
465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
Reputation: 157
I don't think wanting to own a home is being greedy. Do they both have good jobs, how do you know they will lose their jobs. Now would be the time to buy a house with the prices so low and if they didn't overextend themselves.

Maybe your friend sees owning a home more important then lounging in a pool in Costa Rica! Everyone has different priorities.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
 
Location: SC
543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmel1st View Post
I appreciate your backup. I'm just really touchy on that subject as you can tell! lol. There is a HUGE stigma attached to people who live in a mobile home and seriously that is why this country is in the state that it is in. People feel like they HAVE to have everything!! That is NOT the case. Life is too short for all of that crap. I just dumped a friend because ALL, and I mean ALL, that she would ever talk about is her and her boyfriend buying a house. In this economy and with their situation I didn't feel like it was a good idea for them. Well, guess what, they did it anyway and I don't want to even hear it when they end up being foreclosed within the next year because they BOTH lose their jobs! I'm just tired of the geedyness and possessiveness of this country. That is why I escape it as often as I can. I'm ready to move to Canada.

Thanks.....

You see, my situation is a little different and I'll tell you why.....
We lived in a home (not a mobile home) for eight years when we got married. We had a fire that totally destroyed our home. Because we had no where to go at the time, family members opened up their second home here with the understanding that we would be out of that home by the time that they returned at the end of summer. (i think it was 3 months total) We weighed our options of trying to get a home built or purchasing a nice double wide mobile home but because of the time frame, we had no choice but to go with the mobile home. We have a beautiful mobile home that is 2200 sq. ft with plenty of room for our family that is located on our land. Our mortgage payment is much cheaper than our old home used to be and our insurance and taxes are also. I feel alot better knowing that I can make my mortgage payment each month without stress if the economy continues to decline.

I don't see anything wrong with someone having the home of their dreams, I don't. I do have issues with people feeling as if a price tag or a neighborhood/subdivision is what actually makes a "home".

People who live in mobile homes come from all backgrounds and I suppose the stereotyping is what is driving me crazy on this particular thread.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: SC
543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
Trailers may be being built better, but the people who install them are under-regulated and unless you are able to supervise an install yourself you might find (too late) that your trailer is not tied down at all. See the insurance rates. No politics there. They want to sell insurance.

I think a big part of the stigma involves the communities that many trailer parks find themselves in. I've seen some around here that are beautiful, I would live in them myself. But there are too many of the other kind, the stereotypes, with loud drunks and druggers and NO landscaping (amateur is just fine with me) and dangerous installation (as in wires that become bare too fast) and unraised children.

Like everything else though, you pay for the nice ones.

There should be no stigma for trailers in general.

Well, we were here for days making sure that the gasket was put in place to seal the areas where the mobile home comes together to keep out moisture and that everything was tied down properly. We went through checking everything.

But, I agree about some not being set up correctly. Someone I know found out later that their gasket was not sealed properly and they began having mold illness from the moisture coming in the home.

And, there are trashy mobile home parks. Just take a trip down hwy 814 and you will see where I'm talking about..............
 
Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
 
272 posts, read 729,913 times
Reputation: 119
But your mortgage payment is on an item that depreciates.

Again, that may work just fine for some people, but others will always learn the hard way.

Your argument about being sensitive to what people say would be a lot stronger if you admitted that the bad kind of trailer parks do exist. At their worst they can make it miserable for people far beyond the property lines.

On the other hand, a well-kept trailer park enhances any community.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Conway, SC
23 posts, read 52,892 times
Reputation: 12
Well, when you have children to think about like they do, their decision was inmature. Neither have college educations or "Good" jobs. (In this economy I'm not sure that there is such a thing.) If I were them, I would want to protect my child from becoming homeless and not having any stability because of my recklessness. No, owning a home is WONDERFUL. If you can afford it!!!!! These 2 that I am talking about are going to be STRUGGLING to own this home of theirs. One tap of the dominos and they all fall down. But I would rather ENJOY my life and this beautiful world that I was put on instead of having a "stick built" home with an OVER inflatted price. My husband builds STICKBUILT houses for a living. I have seen what these people go through to "Own" a home. By the way, I DO "Own" my home. It just costs ALOT less then the others and doesn't cause wallet regergitation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I don't think wanting to own a home is being greedy. Do they both have good jobs, how do you know they will lose their jobs. Now would be the time to buy a house with the prices so low and if they didn't overextend themselves.

Maybe your friend sees owning a home more important then lounging in a pool in Costa Rica! Everyone has different priorities.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Conway, SC
23 posts, read 52,892 times
Reputation: 12
Oh! Absolutely!! Your right!! I lived in one of the "bad" ones. But they all are not created equal. That was my argument. And your right about the depreciating value of my home, but then again, there are ways of upgrading and making a mobile home perm. that can STOP the depreciating dead in its tracks. You can create a foundation just like a stick built home and remodel. I've seen it done and maybe when I'm older, I might even considering purchasing a home. But at the moment, I want to enjoy being young and able to travel with my children. I want them to know that there is more out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
But your mortgage payment is on an item that depreciates.

Again, that may work just fine for some people, but others will always learn the hard way.

Your argument about being sensitive to what people say would be a lot stronger if you admitted that the bad kind of trailer parks do exist. At their worst they can make it miserable for people far beyond the property lines.

On the other hand, a well-kept trailer park enhances any community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top