Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:41 PM

15 posts, read 15,846 times

Advertisements

We are a young family of four looking to relocate from central Florida to Myrtle Beach. We have family who live in the area and have offered up living quarters for us while we get situated in the area. I have been self employed for many years and plan to do so in MB. I am a jack of all trades. But I do have my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice. So, A law enforcement job could be in my future. One of my questions is how is the market for services in MB? Here in Florida things have gotten very slow and people just are not paying for services anymore and just seem to let there houses go. We also here so many mixed reviews on the area for raising a family so some outlook on that would be great as well! I do look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,560,773 times
You will probably like the Southern end of Myrtle Beach or Carolina Forest.
There are many families that move to Carolina Forest so that would be good for your children.

Other then that a place like "The Gates" is a fantastic development for a family with kids. Well taken care of and the people there have great pride in their properties.

There are also nice developments in the south end of 707 heading towards Murrells Inlet.

It will matter how much you have to spend to which community you can look forward to.

I send you a note on a realtor I believe in wholeheartedly. She can find you the home you want at the price you want.

I feel it is great here in Myrtle beach. The problem comes with "downtown" and it is easy to avoid the touristy and busy
area.

Best of luck to you. To help with more information we'd need to know a little more of your wishes.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM

I wasnt to concerned with housing right now. As I said in my OP we will be staying with family for awhile till things work themself out. I was wondering how the household service area was. Do people take care of there homes? (ie: hire contractors to upkeep them). I wanted to start a jack of all trades business in the area.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM

142 posts, read 361,866 times
There are an awful lot of folks who hire as jack of all trades or specialize in just a few things, the competition is tough, people will work here for cheap and the Mexican/Guatamalan/Columbian/etc workforce is strong. Law enforcement does not pay well either, many get a start here and then move on to where they make almost double.

Gary

Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,157,943 times
My advice is to not drive in MB like most people drive in florida unless you got PLENTY OF MONEY TO PAY TRAFFIC TICKETS

Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,646,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
There are an awful lot of folks who hire as jack of all trades or specialize in just a few things, the competition is tough, people will work here for cheap and the Mexican/Guatamalan/Columbian/etc workforce is strong. Law enforcement does not pay well either, many get a start here and then move on to where they make almost double.

Gary

I totally agree with Gary. Do not expect to make much money doing handy man work of any kind. So very many people are doing this and speaking as someone who does keep up with my house, I have no trouble finding inexpensive, licensed, insured and reliable help. Probably not what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

If you have free housing and no time frame for moving out from living with your family, then possibly things could work out for you. At any rate, you need to have a back-up plan just in case, because the odds are against you ever being able to make a decent amount of money living in MB and working as a handy man. (Your idea of a decent income may be quite different from mine, though!)

I have no knowledge of the law enforcement job availability or pay rates, so can't comment on that. There is a member on this forum whose husband works in law enforcement, but I have not seen her post anything here in quite a while. Perhaps if you scroll back through the threads on the MB forum, you will see her name and by her posts know who I am talking about. If so, possibly you could DM her and ask her opinion about law enforcement jobs. I can't vouch for her because I do not know her, but at least it's something you could try. The only thing I can remember about her is that her screen name has something to do with loving greyhounds. (The dogs, not the bus! Haha!)

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM

79 posts, read 151,254 times
Having recently moved from the MB metro area to FL, I can assure you that the job market is very tight and low paying. Going with a lot of cash might be a smart idea. There are few openings and there are many going for them. Do your research and have a job before you move.

One thing to take into account is that SC has a state tax that can be high depending on your income, FL has no state tax.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Hmm, maybe we should consider another area in SC. I figured there wouldnt be too much career wise being a beach town. But, figured people would pay to keep up with there homes, etc. Alot to think about ... Thanks for the advice

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM

249 posts, read 510,863 times
If I had to go down to Myrtle and find work, I would list an ad on Craigslist to be a condo caretaker. A lot of people from out of state own condos that they rent out but are not there to do the exit cleaning/linen exchange. Right now, the rental season is going to come to an end. A lot of repairs to these condos take place during the off season. There's a lot of money to be made doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area