Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,881 times

Advertisements

Looking for information, pros and cons, for the referenced properties. Such as: lots of kids (we're retired and don't have kids), noisy, good housing, any kind of information would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
If you aren't keen on lots of kids running around-then Ocean Lakes Campground isn't for you. While they have plenty of homes there-they are a campground that attracts families. Look in Surfside east of 17-that's a nice area and some home are close walking distance to the beach.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM

423 posts, read 898,757 times
My parents have had a vacation home at Ocean Lakes since 1981. They like the fact that they can ride around the campground and to the beach on their golf cart. They have a very good street with a few good neighbors who are permanent residents that help keep an eye on their place. The downside to Ocean Lakes is that you don't own the land, only the structure, at the lot lease can get to be expensive. It's also very crowded in the summer and there are lots of kids during the summer. However, during the off season it's pretty quiet and mostly retirees there. There are amenities there that you wouldn't have with a house. It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you prefer and your budget. My parents do not like condos, high rises, or steps partly because they have 2 dogs that need to be walked and being in a 1 story house is easier for them. It's less expensive to live at OL than in a single family house within walking distance to the beach, but you're always going to have the lot lease to pay annually.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM

We'd be renting, not buying, so the fact that the land is leased wouldn't be an issue.
We'd be thinking of renting November-December time frame, so I'd guess there'd be fewer families with children.
And, finally, we have two cats who travel with us.
I was really looking for pros and/or cons of ocean lakes vs. oceanside for a rental.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
I thought I had given an answer to this question but perhaps it didn't send.

November and December are quiet months and not many children are in either place during those months.
Many "snowbirds" take Dec, Jan, and March as a minimum. Request early for those two months as your into January which usually becomes a three month rental for the owners.

Go onto the VRBO site and look for the pet friendly paw they post for the rental.

Pros with Oceanside Village is the homes are a "bit" more spaced. No RV's running in and out as its not a campground.
There is a ton of things going on at the clubhouse. The lovely indoor pool. A golf cart ride or a nice walk to the ocean.( both) Oceanside Village has a good "snowbird" base. Lack of the RV's and campers will give you a less transient feel.

That would be the main difference. No RV's and camping in Oceanside Village. Both are on the ocean. I think there is more to do at the clubhouse in the winters at Oceanside Village.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Thank you for such good information. I'm thinking Oceanside is probably more to our liking although Ocean lakes sounds pretty good, but more congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area