Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,490 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in out 20s looking at moving to the Myrtle Beach area. We are wondering if anyone has advice concerning renting a home and location. Ideally, we would rent a 2 bedroom under $700 a month. Her main concern is saftey while mine is a location close to restaurants and entertainment. Here in PA we have to drive 20 mins to do anything and 45 to do anything good so we want to avoid a similar situation. She is a dental assistant and I work at walmart and might be going to school at Coastal Carolina University. We also work as waiters and plan on doing that as well.
Any thoughts? Any advice would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks!
P.s. yes we have visited a couple times and have looked around. And we are Hispanic, are there any other Hispanics in MB area? Bc here there are next to none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
There's a fairly good size Hispanic population in the Socastee area of Rt707 near where it intersects 17 Bypass.

$700 rent is difficult to find in a safe area. You might try Palmetto Pointe apartments. We had a friend look there and was very impressed. She, ultimately, did not move to MB but if she had, that would have been her first choice. It's in a location which would be easily accessible to 2 Walmarts and would be about 20 minutes from Coastal Carolina. You can be at the beach and most restaurants and attractions within 10-15 minutes. The only drawback right now is that there is major road construction in that area right now but they seem to keep the traffic moving pretty well. It is also near Rt707 as mentioned above.

I doubt that you're going to find a house to rent for $700/month in an area in which you would want to live.

As always, my advice is to not move here unless you have a firm job lined up first. Employment, especially at this time of year, is difficult to find.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've seen that you've posted a lot before and seems like you know what you're talking about
My girlfriend has applied to dental assistant positions in MB from Pa but they never call her back. She assumes that its because she has an out of state address. Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
There probably are several reasons for no call backs...most companies have a tremendous amount of applicants for each position and to respond to each one even it it's to say they're not interested would consume too much time. They only contact those who are going to be interviewed.

Having an out of state address definitely would put her at the bottom of the list if there are similarly qualified local applicants. A small dental practice would not want to wait for someone to move, etc. when they could have a local person start almost immediately or within 2 weeks if they were working elsewhere...especially if they were replacing someone who left and needed someone quickly. One suggestion would be to include a cover letter indicating that she could relocate within 2 weeks of accepting a position or if you know when you intend to relocate, include that as well. Another strategy would be to indicate that she already has arranged for a place to live (but only if that is true) and can relocate immediately. But, without the ability to assure the hiring business that she can move quickly, it's going to be very difficult to find a job from afar unless she has some unique qualifications that someone would be looking for.

Another suggestion would be to make a visit to MB and visit lots of dental offices to drop off a resume and try and talk with the office manager. Sometimes, face-to-face works better and you might just walk into an office at just the right time when they are needing someone.

Best of luck finding a job...it's very difficult from a distance especially if you don't plan to move 'til you get a job and a business doesn't want to hire someone 'til they've moved...kind of like the chicken or the egg conundrum.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM

178 posts, read 329,320 times
I second everything said by CT Yankee, especially the fact that you will probably not find a house to rent for that amount in a desirable area. The job market is really bad, the season is over, even though it doesn't sound like your jobs might be seasonal. I would not consider a move until you have employment lined up first.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM

214 posts, read 649,593 times
I agree also, job market is bad out here. I would not move until you have a job secured. My wife has a degree and 6 years experience in her field and could not find a decent paying job in the 9 months she looked. The only 2 she was offered paid waaay low for what they were. She resorted to a nanny position just for something to do.

We were planing on leaving the state in December so in August she started applying for jobs back home....3 weeks later she had a good paying job and actually left today to drive across country.

You guys dont want to be stuck in that position looking for a job for 9months. Especially looking for a wait staff position, Im sure competition for those jobs is pretty fierce here!

As far as an area to live right around the college does not seem to bad to me, driving through anyway. Have you considered moving closer to Charleston? It seems like it is a lot less touristy and you may be able to have a better chance at finding a job that is not so seasonal.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 AM

43 posts, read 114,328 times
Consider removing your address from your resume - and getting a local phone number. You can sign up for Google Voice and get a free local number which forwards to your real number.

You should still cover the relocating explanation and timeline near the top of the resume, as outlined by others, but it may help any potential employer at least get that far!

My wife and I are also relocating to Myrtle Beach (from Boston) in November - but we're both originally from PA. She's hunting for an RN position right now leading up to our move - I'll continue to work for my company remotely.

Best of luck on your job hunt!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM

That might help. I didn't know you could do that with Google Voice. Good luck for your wife's job hunt.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Has anyone who posted relocated and have had success?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM

43 posts, read 114,328 times
Hi sweetbri9,

My wife and I relocated two years ago. Working out great! We love it here.
My wife works as an RN, I have a remote job, and also run a non-profit in Myrtle Beach: Startup.SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area