U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,813,937 times

Advertisements

Everybody on here has been great with giving me advice (Rapture, Sheena, etc), even those that I might spar with a bit, as all opinions have validity and worth. I would like to know a little bit more about the above mentioned areas in regards to entertainment as far as things like movie theaters, restaurants, zoo, aquarium, concert venue, etc. are concerned. My wife and I are a couple of kids, but still want to live someplace that is a bit rural and not so heavily populated and in the thick of things. And, as always, if there is any first/second hand info on social service agencies (hospitals, drug clinics, youth homes, shelters, retirement homes, etc.) let me know. I am a social worker in need of a caseload. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,756,536 times
All of those towns are not really that far from each other. Which ever you choose will still allow you to benefit from what the other towns have to offer. Conway has the most rural areas if not the only one on your list that does. The other towns are closer to the beach.

There are not many places here for concerts, just one that I know of that has only country music and then the House of Blues for everything else. Movie theaters are all over, more restaurants closer to the beach, MB has an aquarium and zoo I haven't heard anything about.

All of the questions you have asked on this board would lead me to think Conway or maybe Socastee are the best towns for what you're looking for. More laid back but still close to the action.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,956,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Everybody on here has been great with giving me advice (Rapture, Sheena, etc), even those that I might spar with a bit, as all opinions have validity and worth. I would like to know a little bit more about the above mentioned areas in regards to entertainment as far as things like movie theaters, restaurants, zoo, aquarium, concert venue, etc. are concerned. My wife and I are a couple of kids, but still want to live someplace that is a bit rural and not so heavily populated and in the thick of things. And, as always, if there is any first/second hand info on social service agencies (hospitals, drug clinics, youth homes, shelters, retirement homes, etc.) let me know. I am a social worker in need of a caseload. Thanks.
N Myrtle Beach has Barefoot Landing and that has a ton of stuff. Check out their website. They have a zoo, theatres, House of Blues, shopping, restarants etc.

Little River is close enough to N Myrtle to enjoy all those things.

Myrtle Beach has Broadway at the Beach, they have an Aquarium, shows, movie theatres, Imax, minigolf, night clubs, etc.

Surfside is nice but I don't like that traffic on the 17. Murrells Inlet is really nice but it's actually south of Surfside.

Look into Calabash if you want to be away but close.

As far as Social work is concerned I do know they have group homes and things like that because they were talking about it at my church.

I really do think you should look into Carolina Forest. It would be hard for me to move from here.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM

882 posts, read 3,277,833 times
With you criteria, you'd be best to look at Conway or possibly Socastee.

There is no ZOO in Horry County. Wacatee Zoo is not a zoo, per say. Personally, I find it offensive that the animals there are kept the way they are, but, then again, that's one person's opinion..

As far as concerts go, HOB is your best bet, but there are TONS of local venues that host local and smaller name bands/groups/etc. You also have the Long Bay Symphony and a few other choral groups, along with the Main Street Theatre in Conway where local plays are held.

I'm not much help with the social work needs. Perhaps you be better off searching online with the County, or checking the Help Wanted ads at MyrtleBeachOnline.com

The greatest thing about MB is that you can live anywhere from Garden City to Little River to Longs to Conway and still be close enough to it all without actually having to live in the middle of everything..

Sheena hit the nail on the head tho.. Carolina Forest is THE hot spot at the beach! We have five gated communities there, so there must be something to it!

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM

Awesome, thanks. So what I have heard about Murrell's and Little River and Cherry Grove is that they are sort of like old fishing towns with a few gambling boats. Does this mean that there is not much industry there apart from fishing, or just that there are a large amount of fishermen, crabbers, etc.? For some odd reason it makes me think of Maine, or a small port, but I am probably wrong. What is housing like there as opposed to Conway, N Myrtle, Socastee, etc.? Also, as far as Carolina Forest is concerned, what areas does it cover? Is it a series of developments, a town, suburb, county? And does it have it's own school system (if so, good or not?). I am definately considering Conway, but the more I hear and read about other areas, the more curious I get. My wife, for instance, is now interested in looking into Little River, but who knows. I have heard that is a place you either love or you hate. We should just take a while off and do a complete tour of the area. Any info on above mentioned questions?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 PM

Carolina Forest is a Master Planned Community, or township, if you will, that was owned by International Paper for years and years. They developed a Master Plan and sold tracts out to developers who, in turn, have created the 2 dozen or so Communities in the overall 12,000 acre tract. You will find everything from condo style apts, townhomes, tract home communites, custom home communities and gated custom home communities (5 of which we developed).

The schools in the Carolina Forest area are reported to be among the best in the State. I have no opinion on this, as I don't have children. I can say that my 6 year old niece is doing quite well at the new Ocean Bay Elem. school tho.

There will be a 1,000+ acre Towne Centre which will house the shopping, dining, and professional stores/business' and medical offices.

The overall concept is great in the fact that the growth is somewhat controlled.

As far as Little River, Cherry Grove & Murrells Inlet... the atmosphere in these areas appears, at least to me, to be a little more laid back than the Myrtle Beach/Socastee/Surfside/North Myrtle Beach area.

You do need to come down for a minimum of a week, if not two, to look around and get a feel for the area. the best way I can sum it up is to note that no matter where you choose to live from Conway east to the ocean, you'll have PLENTY to do and all within minutes of the comfort of your own home.

Now keep in mind that the very things that you find enticing about the area.. some 14 million others do as well, so things can get a little busier in season. I appreciate the fact that we have that season.. and I also appreciate the fact that it ends.. and I have the chance to take full advantage of the very things I love about this area!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,956,326 times
Now keep in mind that the very things that you find enticing about the area.. some 14 million others do as well, so things can get a little busier in season. I appreciate the fact that we have that season.. and I also appreciate the fact that it ends.. and I have the chance to take full advantage of the very things I love about this area!

This is wonderful statement. I love the fact we get a break in the Winter from that busy season and I love that busy season also. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,326,591 times
Some info on Murrells Inlet... the area down and around Business 17 is still somewhat like the old fishing village, except that it has around three dozen restaurants lining the streets. Can get a little busy in the summer & very busy during the fall & spring bike weeks.

Murrells Inlet addresses can be deceiving since they are used from Huntington Beach State Park & Brookgreen Gardens (broken link)all the way up Rte 707 to Burgess & the west side of Garden City. There are many nice communities back along 707 & a couple of so-so ones. I've heard that Burgess has some problems. Murrells Inlet also lands in two counties, so if you are concerned about schools or property taxes check which county the address is in.

There is plenty of shopping in the area, Inlet Square mall is going through a major overhaul and should be nice when completed. rrufast may be right when he says it is a little more laid back. It is definately less touristy than MB & NMB, Surfside & Garden City Beach.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM

So what type of problems would you say Burgess has? And as for the 2 counties, in your opinion, which would be the better of the two? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Burgess and Socastee are often considered to be on contiguous community. I don't think they are truthfully.

The Burgess area tends to show as blighted or depressed, if that makes sense. You see a lot of mobile homes in the area, in addition to single family homes, that are unkempt and unsightly. This alone stigmatizes an area and detracts many potential buyers.

With regard to the differences between Horry and Georgetown counties... they are vastly different counties. Horry is more populated, more built up, more economically viable, more desirable, and the list goes on..

This is not to say that Georgetown is not a great town, or county. I'm sure it is. There is a HUGE amount of history behind Georgetown. Many fine folks are proud to call G-town county home.. and rightfully so. G-town county, in my opinion, lacks all that makes Horry county wonderful... but still offers the things that remind me of the small rural town I grew up in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area