U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,011 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in attending the Tax Auction for Horray County (Myrtle Beach and area) on December 01. Has anyone been successful at these auctions. What was the auction price for lots in Waterway Palms, Waterbridge, Plantation Lake and Carolina Waterway? My lawyer told me to stay clear of the auction. Any opinions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:12 PM

25 posts, read 40,721 times
I have been to a couple of auctions. I am certainly not an expert.
See this link for Annual Delinquent Tax Sale Auction Details.
Delinquent Tax - Horry County Government
Keep in mind that even if you win the bid it is possible that the taxes will be paid before the year is over and you will not receive the property, but you will receive your money back with interest.
If the taxes are not paid in 1 year, you should get the property.
Do your research before bidding.
For "sales" that have completed the one year period and actually changed hands, you can see the details of the properties by going to the web site:
Horry County, South Carolina Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014. LAST CFN = 2014000140993 v4.3.0.0
Search Records: Name
Name: DELINQUENT TAX MANAGER HORRY COUNTY
or
Search Records: Legal Description/Memo
Comments: Contains "The Name of the property you are interested in"
to see all properties that sold in that neighborhood for any reason.
You might want to try the Foreclosure Auction conducted every month by the Master-in-Equity.
Mast In Equity - Horry County Government
If you win this bid, the property is yours. But once again, do your homework.
You may also have to pay back taxes and perhaps liens on these properties.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,011 times
Thank you for the info. I attended the auction on Dec 1st. It was my first and had planned to bid on lots in Waterway Palms and other similar projects. I thought a fair auction price might be $3,000-$5,000. I was obviously mistaken to learn that the average price was just over $30,000/lot. At one point in the auction a bidder rose to say "If your ready to pay those prices I have two lots I will sell you today"
I might try the foreclosure route next time or even have a look at other States. Any recommendations?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:52 AM

11,823 posts, read 21,472,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martelmb View Post
I might try the foreclosure route next time or even have a look at other States. Any recommendations?
I doubt if you will find lots in any area close to the coast at only $3-5K, especially if they have sewer and water connections. Foreclosed lots in Pender County North Carolina are listed at $10-12K for Summerhouse at Everett Bay. (I havn't checked auction prices.) You might also have to pay back HOA dues.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 40,721 times
Prices were higher this year than in years 2009-2013. In 2009-2012, for properties that actually ended up selling rather than having the taxes eventually paid, the prices were 2,000-13,000 including one on the Intracoastal Waterway in 2009 for 6,975. In 2013 winning bids were 6,600-20,000 not on the ICW and 72,000-95,000 on the ICW. Not sure yet which ones will actually sell and which ones have been paid off. In 2014, non tax sale lots not on the ICW have sold for 14,000 - 55,000. In 2014, I see 2 sales from the foreclosure auction for non-ICW lots for 16,000 and 26,000 So there are not a lot of lots that come up on the foreclosure auction, but keep looking and you might be able to find one. Keep in mind you may very well have to pay back taxes and perhaps other liens in addition to the purchase price when you buy the property. Also, dues in Waterway Palms are ~100 a month and you will have to start paying them right away after you buy the property. Foreclosure auctions are found on the Master-in-Equity web page of Horry county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area