Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM

14 posts, read 63,267 times

Advertisements

well. i'm not sure where i'd like to end up more. myrtle beach, sc where there is alot, ALOT, of things to do or Flagler Beach, FL where i think i'd find the pace of life a bit slower.
right now i'm living in midcoast maine on a 60 acre spread. i'm not a wealthy guy ($37k/yr). here in maine i know my money goes a bit further than i expect it would near the coast in the south but i still would like to end up somewhere warm near the beach with at least 1 acre of land for around $150k. i don't have kids so i don't care about schools (except how much i have to give away on taxes to send somebody else's kids off to school).
here is the TOTAL kicker:
i have 2 dogs. big dogs. so a condo or small lot is out of the question. i need some room to run my boys. otherwise they get bored and THAT is bad. very bad!
i don't want to move into a tight neighborhood with my dogs and be "that" neighbor. i want to find a rural spot where i can be private and run my dogs how i want without alot of "neighborhood" influence.
if this helps, i'm:
39 single
2 large dogs
harley davidson owner
respectful
golfer
privacy 'freak'
definately not a 'christian'. could care less about that stuff
no kids
work professionally as a chef

please, help me fit in.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistid View Post
well. i'm not sure where i'd like to end up more. myrtle beach, sc where there is alot, ALOT, of things to do or Flagler Beach, FL where i think i'd find the pace of life a bit slower.
right now i'm living in midcoast maine on a 60 acre spread. i'm not a wealthy guy ($37k/yr). here in maine i know my money goes a bit further than i expect it would near the coast in the south but i still would like to end up somewhere warm near the beach with at least 1 acre of land for around $150k. i don't have kids so i don't care about schools (except how much i have to give away on taxes to send somebody else's kids off to school).
here is the TOTAL kicker:
i have 2 dogs. big dogs. so a condo or small lot is out of the question. i need some room to run my boys. otherwise they get bored and THAT is bad. very bad!
i don't want to move into a tight neighborhood with my dogs and be "that" neighbor. i want to find a rural spot where i can be private and run my dogs how i want without alot of "neighborhood" influence.
if this helps, i'm:
39 single
2 large dogs
harley davidson owner
respectful
golfer
privacy 'freak'
definately not a 'christian'. could care less about that stuff
no kids
work professionally as a chef

please, help me fit in.......
If your dogs have always lived in Maine, they may not adjust well to the temps in either FL or SC. The summers would be really hard on them.

Any land within 10 miles of the coastline in SC or FL, will have exceedingly high homeowner's insurance, mostly because of Hurricane K, and the other hurricane's in FL. You probably couldn't afford it on yr salary. The prop taxes in SC are low, but there is a state income tax. In FL there is no state income tax, but the prop taxes are high.

Land on the coast anywhere is not cheap, so for 150k, not too promising.

There is a ton of golf in MB, and they have biker week, so you would fit in there. Of course, FL has a lot of golf too, but probably cheaper in MB. MB practically closes down in the winter, because it can be quite chilly, whereas FL is quite a bit warmer. A lot of Canadians winter in MB, and obviously the golf is fine in the winter, as it's almost aways sunny.

I guess Conway, South Carolina, would be a good fit for you. Not too far from MB, and there is still land around that is not too expensive, and you could find some privacy. Quite a few northern transplants around, so I don't think religion would be in your face. I'm not too keen on FL, so I'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Default thanks, nausikaa

thanks for the info. i had been snooping on realtor.com and found that conway looked most promising. i'll be taking a short trip to mb april 13 so i'll have to rent a car and take a drive around conway.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I agree that Conway would be a good fit for you. If you need a job here, there are tons of restaurants in Myrtle Beach and most of the county. Conway is laid back and you can still get a large yard for under $200,000 and it's right next to MB. We moved here for the same reason, we wanted a large yard but still close enough to the beach and activities. Taxes are very low in Conway, we have over an acre and our taxes are less then $600 per year. As far as religion, almost everyone here goes to Church and are very involved in church activities. We are not religious but it hasn't been an issue at all. I think as along as you're nice to people, they will be nice back. As long as you don't judge, you will not be judged. Anyway taht's been my experience and I moved from NJ. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,045 times
I agree with Rapture. I've been a dual resident, if I move permanently, I"m going to Conway. People are friendly everywhere but the dogs would have more room to run and you would have more choices in finding an appropriate piece of land for your needs. Check

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Can't Wait....

i just can't wait to go to the beach and actually enjoy it. beaches are tough here in maine. we have black fly season may - june then mosquitoe season june - august as well as deer fly season june - august aaannnndddd there are HUGE horseflies june - sept. oh yeah, and the water temp is a bit chilly.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
You are so right you will find lots and lots to do at Myrtle Beach. I would think you can find a job easier with so many restaurants in MB. Conway, Bucksport and Red Hill might be more economical as far as homeowner's insurance and be better suited for finding a home with a good yard for your dogs.

But .... I love Flagler Beach too!! Florida homeowner insurance rates have gone out of sight. Our son owns a home in Port Charlotte, FL and his premium doubled. Riding your Harley on A1A would make it worth it to me. But the 'burbs of MB will probably be easier on your budget. Bunnell, Palm Coast and Crescent City in Flagler County but not on the beach may be more economical.

Good luck with whatever you decide. SC and Florida have beautiful beaches.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:04 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Depends on if you want great weather year around or 8-9 months of the year. MB can have some cold spells in Dec-Jan-Feb while Flager wouldn't have.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM

i had a friend in bunnell, which is why i liked the area around flagler beach to begin with. too bad about the insurance problems in our country. i'm just another struggling american who seemingly has the 'dream' just out of reach. like i said. 1/2 hr or so the beach still would be amazing.
as far as the cold spells in mb- i kind of welcome the idea. what is cold there isn't really cold here in maine. today it was 34 degrees and we were all out without coats on remarking how nice a day it was. the heat doesn't scare me that much. i'm a chef. i can stand the heat. the bugs.... we'll see.
rumor has it that the ladies are much friendlier in the south. i'll just have to look into that one. cold new england isn't just a term describing the weather... might be nice to hear a hello when i say good day, though.....

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I too think Conway is a good match for you. A nice big yard for the dogs.......they will love the winter weather that is mostly 50s in the daytime on up to 70s.......
Everyone in SC is very friendly.
There is at least one hundred golf courses, some right in Conway area.
Tons of restaurants around.
Bike week is actually coming up soon. There is a magnificant Harley D place right on 17 in Surfside Beach.
I think you'll find all you wish for here.
I do know Flagler Beach. More laid back, quiet.......homes are more costly. You won't get that acre you want. More humid for the dogs..........so...........I'm back to Conway for you. Hope you get there soon to enjoy the wonderful weather, and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area