Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2020, 08:05 AM

21 posts, read 22,426 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

Wondering if any of you who have decided to retire in NMB also looked into Little River, NC. - What is the difference (if any) in these communities other than the fact that one is in NC the other SC?
Key plusses and minuses would be helpful.

Thank you for your honest feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 AM

545 posts, read 1,605,479 times
Little River is a SC address, not NC. Might be a tiny bit that might be considered NC, I guess. That matters as far as taxes because SC taxes are lower. I currently have a condo in LR (second home), and when I retire I will be moving down. I would prefer to be in NC (Calabash or Sunset Beach), but the tax situation for retirees and homeowners is way better in SC, so I will probably choose it over NC (sell current condo and buy something else).

Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 PM

214 posts, read 261,046 times
The unincorporated area of Little River has lower taxes than anywhere in the LR/NMB area . All services are thru the City of NMB . Any way you cut it , it's a wonderful place to live !!!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I think the main differences are that Little River is more a locals neighborhood where NMB seems to be more touristy and transient.

All of my friends who live on the north end all live in Little River and all have raised family there.

The only people I know who live in NMB are ones that lived there years and years ago before Little River was much of a thing.

I love both areas.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 AM

21 posts, read 22,426 times
Wanted to say thanks for the feedback, sounds like Little River should be on our list for consideration.
We are looking for a gated community close enough to the ocean (perhaps east or close to being east of Rt 17) where we can take a golf cart to the beach....I hear Barefoot should be on our list to visit are there any others? I am a relatively new participant to the city-data community and I cant tell you how helpful it is to us. Thanks again

Old 02-06-2020, 12:43 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach1129 View Post
Wanted to say thanks for the feedback, sounds like Little River should be on our list for consideration.
We are looking for a gated community close enough to the ocean (perhaps east or close to being east of Rt 17) where we can take a golf cart to the beach....I hear Barefoot should be on our list to visit are there any others? I am a relatively new participant to the city-data community and I cant tell you how helpful it is to us. Thanks again
Barefoot is west of the intracoastal but still close enough...less than a 10 minute drive down to the beach..one stop light and residential road. I live in Barefoot and plenty of folks take their golf carts down to the beach and other places as well since there is a backroad to the Bi-Lo shopping center.

Barefoot also has a beach cabana with 2 parking lots and a pavilion with decks, chairs, shower and restroom although currently it's been demolished and being rebuilt. That gives you guaranteed parking and direct beach access. I also have a NMB parking decal (free for residents) and can park for free at any of the public beach lots.

Being west of the Intracoastal puts you in evacuation zone C and your insurance is lower.
Also my neighbor (who has lived in Barefoot for 15 years) told me that it's never flooded through all the storms.

Can't speak for other developments as I just moved down here last May 2019. I'm very happy with my purchase in Barefoot. The place is kept immaculate and up to date and lots of greenery due to the 4 golf courses.

Barefoot is a community of communities. Here's a link where you can look over the various communities and amenities.
https://barefoothoa.com

Old 02-06-2020, 06:02 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,479 times
Little River is west of the ICW, and as far as I know, you can't take a golf cart to the oceanfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: