Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,292 times

Advertisements

Traffic is great on 501? You have got to be kidding! This tells you something:Population change since 2000: +20.8%
I had family move to Conway and they hate it there. Sadly all that is said as described by the Northerners moving into a southerners area,(schools, doctors, hospitals) is true. Few are welcomed!
Some pretty areas, but I say 75% is depressed and not worth the trip for a vacation- would never intentionally move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 51,315 times
we are two srs living here in conway bought a home in a new sub division two and a half years back and yes its a good ol southern town and with the good ol boy southern network so please realize that before making a decision

there are lots of non conwayeties here also fm all over the good ol us of a and that would be your social network

its a charming southern city twenty min to surfside beach or myrtle beach and an hour plus fm interstate 95

the road system here is terrible and with the tourist during the season unbearable

the hi ways are in poor shape and we now have a sale tax of ten and a half cent and if you live in myrtle beach or shop there add another penny to that as of aug one

tourism is the only source of income oh yeah construction and the attitude of the business community here is let someone else pay for it in other words they are takers and not givers example a new one cent sales tax to help pay for tourism advertisement

conway is in horry county and it is proud to say the independent state of horry county take that for what it implies

so come on down beach is great lots of entertainment lots of taxes people dont realize that everything is taxed not food tho they just took that off the state tax list but there is still the penny we voted on last year for road work so food is taxed at one per cent and soon in myrtle beach two per cent you still are taxed in the drug store and clothing needs

gas aint no bargain here kangaroo and hess have a pretty good monopoly and the price changes fm one area or block or two to another called keeping up with the competition

we have a symphony orchestra but no real venue so they use the hi school auditorium pretty good tho

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,808 times
Heaven's sakes..people posting crap like southeners don't like northerners should be ASHAMED of yourselves! You are IGNORANT! I'm born and raised in the south and lived in NH the past 18 years, NEVER have I've been treated rudely from either side and I'm in SC and NE ALOT! Sc people are FRIENDLY as New ENglanders.. if you run across a rude person it doesn't represent the WHOLE STATE! you run into rude people wherever you are! Conway is lovely and has alot to offer, If you want to move here all is welcomed.. Don't listen to these negative ninny's..

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM

540 posts, read 1,673,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyneth5 View Post
Heaven's sakes..people posting crap like southeners don't like northerners should be ASHAMED of yourselves! You are IGNORANT! I'm born and raised in the south and lived in NH the past 18 years, NEVER have I've been treated rudely from either side and I'm in SC and NE ALOT! Sc people are FRIENDLY as New ENglanders.. if you run across a rude person it doesn't represent the WHOLE STATE! you run into rude people wherever you are! Conway is lovely and has alot to offer, If you want to move here all is welcomed.. Don't listen to these negative ninny's..
This post is really old...some of the stores ppl quoted as being in Conway have gone out of business.

I'm sorry to tell ya Gwyenth, not everyone is like you, sadly. While many ARE, there are about as many who aren't. I think it's like that mostly in the schools, tho, at least that's what my kids say. In general, in our development, we are 90% northerners so we all get along just fine.

I'm wondering if some of it may have to do with a language barrier (I'm assuming that since I can't understand some of the heavy southern speak, they may not understand what I'm saying either), or if we are looked upon like we are taking jobs.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM

14 posts, read 44,310 times
[b][color="DarkRed"]As of 2010, Conway's population is 13,701 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 16.26 percent.

The median home cost in Conway is $123,260. Home appreciation the last year has been -5.89 percent.

Compared to the rest of the country, Conway's cost of living is 13.30% Lower than the U.S. average.

Conway public schools spend $4,995 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $5,678. There are about 11.3 students per teacher in Conway.

The racial makeup of the city was 55.82% White, 41.85% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.74% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.64% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. Mexican/Latino were 1.87% of the population and growing.

The unemployment rate in Conway is 15.10 percent (U.S. avg. is 10.20%). Recent job growth is Negative. Conway jobs have Decreased by 1.61 percent.

Crime is shockingly high considering its small size+ low population.

Conway scored 9 out-of-10 for Violent Crimes (opposed to the U.S. average of 4)

Property Crime: 10-out-of-10 (U.S.average of 4)

Last edited by Wave Rider 1; 05-11-2011 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,003,832 times
As a lifelong Myrtle Beach resident (except for my five years away at college), Conway is NOT an extension of Myrtle Beach and The Grand Strand.

Conwayites and the rest of the state look at Myrtle Beach like we are carnival people and always have.

Conway is a snobby little southern town and nothing is going to change that. You move there from somewhere else and you'll always be an outsider. It is a very tight knit, closed community. The locals will be nice to you but unless your grandmother was born in Horry County or you married into an old family, you'll probably never get an invite to their homes.

There is a lot of old money in Conway.

I'm not saying this to steer anyone away from Conway, I'm just stating fact.

Unless you are from the south, you'll never get this.

The Grand Strand is a much better place for newcomers because 90% of our population is from somewhere else.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,737,163 times
OP is old but to comment on blueherons - sorry but I disagree. I moved to Conway from NJ and have never felt it was snobby or unwelcome. People are very friendly and why would it be snobby? It's mostly rural with large areas of low income. There are some nice sub-divisions and the downtown area is nice but not upscale. I will say if you move from a metro area it's a big change but very friendly and welcoming. You get what you put out - be friendly and you'll get friendly in return.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
OP is old but to comment on blueherons - sorry but I disagree. I moved to Conway from NJ and have never felt it was snobby or unwelcome. People are very friendly and why would it be snobby? It's mostly rural with large areas of low income. There are some nice sub-divisions and the downtown area is nice but not upscale. I will say if you move from a metro area it's a big change but very friendly and welcoming. You get what you put out - be friendly and you'll get friendly in return.
I didn't say Conway wasn't friendly, quite the opposite. It is a very friendly little town and the people are very warm and gracious. However, I'd bet money that you've never been invited to the home of a local that wasn't a large party.

I'm not saying this to be mean but the fact is that you are an outsider and will always be an outsider.

If you don't mind me asking, do you live in the city limits of Conway or one of the new subdivisions outside the city limits.

Yes, I know this is an old post but the people of Conway haven't changed in 100 years. Unless you are or related to a Burroughs, Shelley, Floyd, Chapin, etc, you aren't a local.

There are some very nice large houses back in Lakeland Drive area and very expensive. Don't be fooled by what is on top, there is a lot of old money in Conway.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,737,163 times
Yes, I have been invited and people born and raised in Conway have been to my house many times. I don't live in a sub-division, I live on a street with only 15 houses with mostly natives to Conway and SC. We help each other when needed, send/share food back and forth and talk almost everyday. My next door neighbor, born and raised here is one of our best friends. I know most of the shop owners downtown and I'm involved with several local organizations that involve people from elsewhere but also people form here....never once a problem. Three yrs ago I walked into a salon downtown and the girls working there were not that friendly but that can happen anywhere...needless to say that shop is now out of business. Did they have an attitude because I'm not from here? Don't know, women can be strange like that sometimes to other women anywhere. I prefer to think positive, have a smile on my face even when someone else is not as nice back and 9 times out of 10 they come around. Is there a click here? Maybe, but anywhere you go there will be people that have known each other their whole lives and it may not be so easy to join their group. If that happens, I start my own "group" and not worry about it. To say anyone interested moving to Conway will have any problems with making friends is not true. If a person has their mind set on only making friends with wealthy natives then they have other problems that have nothing to do with Conway. All this being said, many old timers to CD know I have complaints about Conway and my experience here but I would never say it's hard to make friends here or you will feel left out and can't fit in.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 AM

No, it isn't hard to make friends there but I know Conway well. My ex fiancee, who I am still on good terms with is part of the old guard.

I'm not saying you aren't telling the truth, because I believe you are but there is no way you are in any locals inner circle. The bottom line? You are a yankee and you'll always be a yankee.

Glad you love Conway and that's awesome you've found a happy home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area