Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,294 times

Advertisements

I have a great job lined up and am scheduled to start on June 7th. I have a small animal rescue: parrots, tortoise, potbelly pig, tropical plants like bird of paradise, canna, banana and plan to attain an agricultural exception through ornamental plant production and fruit/egg sales. I was driving trough Golden Gates and the surrounding area and prices and housing look very good for my purposes. I grew up in the rural tropics of Africa, Brazil and Hawaii and am used to tropical living without electricity. I was curious about costs in reference to well systems and insurance. Either I shall buy a home on a few acres or build on a large plot of 5 plus acres, still weighing my options. I have been researching Miami for a few years but Naples called me first. Thanks everyone...G

In Miami insurance costs go down dramatically the further inland you go and an agricultural exemption results in much lower property tax. Well water is better the deeper you drill but it costs a bit to set up....Curious about water quality for animals and humans alike....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Don't know anything about Miami and very little about the rural Naples area, but the only rural areas I can think of near Naples are: Immokolee (probably the most rural of them all with lots of groves and farms), Golden Gate and north of that is Lehigh Acres. There are some amazing housing bargains in Gold Gate right now. I think you should contact a few realtors in the area and explain your situation to them. Perhaps they can show you a few properties that will fit your needs or at least tell you where to look. Good luck with what sounds like a very interesting life.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
The well water is fine as long as you are not cheap with the setup.

Dig a quality sulphur well and add the water system to match it. Don't be cheap here, you will regret it.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM

tell me what I need for a quality well....in South Africa it was all about depth, my aunt has a place in Venice FL and the water is horrible, she is only a few miles from the beach. I have been told the further you are from the ocean the better the quality of ground water.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Dig a sulphur well and attach a softner and possibly an under sink reverse osmosis system.

See what the neighbors have as far as options. You can add carbon filters and a bunch of other stuff depending on your budget and specific water quality.

If you can afford a whole-house RO system that would be best but they are very expensive.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM

I hear the area may get forced to go on city water. I need to do some research on the cost benefit situation, perhaps I will just haul water until I get the info on that. We collected rain water in Hawaii and it was quite nice.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 AM

It will be decades, if ever, that the Estates will be forced to go to city water.

The cost will be in the zillions because it is so large.

Don't worry about that.

I'm not sure you could get a permit/certificate of occupancy for a house without a water supply.

No one hauls water unless they are squatters and living off the grid.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM

thanks bro, I found a nice property that has had its well equipment looted, I will call some companies on monday and see what equipment will cost.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,724 times
Hello Boer, I have notice that it has been sometime since your posting. Just wondering if you have settled in Naple or if your still looking for property in the Golden Gates Area? I happen to have a lot in Golden Gates for sale.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM

I will be in Naples in the first week of June, my primary concern is water quality for my animals, I will be aggressively looking for rural or semi rural buys as close to the zoo as possible, its a crime you cant use 75 to transit from Naples to the rural areas....kinda odd since the infrastructure of Naples seems so well designed. I may have 30k to use as a down payment, still sussing out the details on a re-fi here in Ky.

Last edited by Boer; 05-24-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: misprint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples