Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 AM

57 posts, read 111,717 times

Advertisements

I disagree. Naples is covered in parks for young children, we have places like My Gym, Jymboree, indoor playgrounds MANY pools, YMCA, ice skating, baseball a hop skip up to Ft. Myers, parades, beach, bowling, skate park, ballet studios, gymnastic stuidos, fishing competitions at the pier, summer camps that are filled WAY before the summer and year round warmth so the kids aren't stuck inside during the holidays we have holiday concerts, parades, neighborhoods thats are STUNNING with decorations that u literally wait in lines to drive through where EVERYSINGLE house is decorated with people sitting outside handing out candy and waving, same goes for Halloween . We have pottery stores that offer kids classes or they can come in and paint pottery for as low as $10. I ..shall i keep goin?.

Do you even have young children TanNaples? Cause if you don't I highly doubt ur out looking for things for young children to do and wouldn't really know how child/family oriented it is. I have a child and I'm constantly finding things to do with her, and she's only 7 months old so I'm limited by naptimes and feedings. If she was older I doubt I'd be home at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM

146 posts, read 335,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanamist View Post
Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to Naples from South Florida and would like to get some input from locals or those who lived there on whether it is a nice place to raise YOUNG children. I have a 1 and 3 year old. We are vegetarians, so a nice network of natural food stores/choices would be ideal, as well as an abundance of parks, bike paths, anything outdoors. Does Naples support this kind of lifestyle?

There is a wonderful 100% Organic market/cafe called Food and Thought near the mall. The cafe has excellent food. There is also a new Vegan restaurant, the name escapes me, near Barnes and Noble on Pine Ridge. There is a Whole Foods on 41 N. near Immokolee Rd and the Mercato.

Also, we will need to rent and are thinking about renting a 4 bedroom apartment. I noticed the prices are really good (under $1500 for a 4 bedroom in most places). We like the idea of an apartment that takes care of everything for us. Any advice on particular apartment complexes?

For your budget I'm quite sure you can find an annual house rental in a good neighborhood. Go for a house rental not a condo or apt. That way you have a yard and the kids can have other kids to play with. In a condo situation you might get too many older couples and no kids.

Crime is a concern- compared with Broward County, not sure how Lee County compares. Any personal experiences/ knowledge of this?

Naples is in Collier County, probably as safe as it gets without living in the sticks.

I would need a good preschool in Naples for the kids- any recommendations?

My kids went to Moorings Presbyterian Preschool but that was a long time ago, but it was excellent. I have no knowledge of newer schools. Seacrest is an excellent private school

Finally, what is traffic like around Naples? My husband would be commuting to his job from Naples to Big Cypress Park about 70 miles east on 75. . .is the traffic okay in the morning and evening along alligator alley?

Thanks so much!
Traffic on 75 to the alley from Naples should never be a problem at any time of the year except for the rare time there is a fire which can happen when it's a drought situation and fires happen spontaneously out in the everglades. Traffic going North between Naples and Ft. Myers can be a problem at certain times of the day. If one is going south from Ft. Myers to Naples on 75 in the morning it's a problem and going north from Naples to FM in the afternoon is a problem. But to Alligator Alley from any Naples exit should never be a problem.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 16,077 times
Does anyone live at the falls of portofino and good you describe your experience,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good place to invest for the future?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 8,499 times
The Enclave at Briars landing, or Brittany Bay, I rented at the enclave its not ghetto there, After renting you can't buy it if you like it.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 AM

124 posts, read 333,454 times
Well said fingerprint me.
Naples is a wonderful place to bring young children up.There is so much to do, I can't comment on teenagers but for younger children it's perfect. When I see my children out and about playing and getting involved with so many of the child friendly activities Naples has to offer I honestly as a Mother think that they have a wonderful childhood. Most weekends we do something exciting with the children and in Naples you don't have to go far. I think fingerprintme pretty much summed it up.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 PM

Wow.....I beg to differ. I've lived in Naples since 1976. I raised my children here who went to Naples High. Both went to college on academic and/or athletic scholarships. One child went on to be a professional ball player. They attended pre-school at Moorings Presbyterian which was excellent. They had no shortage of activities and excellent friends. I had a small house in an excellent neighborhood near Coastland Mall. They are contributing, hard working adults and never had any issues with drugs or crime or bad friends.

Both Naples High and Barron Collier are good schools IF YOU as parents participate, monitor their activities, their friends and how they spend their time. Choose a neighborhood wisely. If you choose some random apartment complex with many transient rentals, then you might put your children at risk with playmates. If you choose a neighborhood with pricey amenities and everyone there is OLD, then who will they play with? Find a good neighborhood where young families can network and get to know who their kids are playing with. Stay away from large , cheap apartment complexes. Do your homework. Go to the Fla Dept of law Enforcement and look at a map of registered sex offenders. Know where they live.

Your experience here will be equal to the effort and time you put into making the best decisions you can make for your children, not how many walk in closets a place will have or there being a huge community pool that strangers might pee in.

You are in control of the outcome.

For anyone to say it's not family oriented is just a reflection of your own choices.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 PM

91 posts, read 323,443 times
Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to Naples from South Florida and would like to get some input from locals or those who lived there on whether it is a nice place to raise YOUNG children. I have a 1 and 3 year old.
>>>Naples is fine for young children. They have good schools but I think it is a terrible place for school aged kids. Terrible culture.

We are vegetarians, so a nice network of natural food stores/choices would be ideal, as well as an abundance of parks, bike paths, anything outdoors. Does Naples support this kind of lifestyle?
>>>> Then Naples is may NOT be the city for you. It is not a bike friendly city at all. When we lived there I witnessed a huge battle over a neighborhood by the beach not wanting folks to ride bikes in their area... fighting bike paths. You can hardly take your dogs to any parks. The old privileged people are largely afraid of young people and poor people. I am oldish and privileged myself and don't understand the old grouchy people in Naples. They are really rude I think.

Crime is a concern- compared with Broward County, not sure how Lee County compares. Any personal experiences/ knowledge of this?
>>>> Stay out of the Golden Gate area.

Finally, what is traffic like around Naples? My husband would be commuting to his job from Naples to Big Cypress Park about 70 miles east on 75. . .is the traffic okay in the morning and evening along alligator alley?
>>> Traffic is not an issue. But they are aggressive drivers. During season when the snowbirds are there I was frequently flipped of by grouchy drivers who CUT ME OFF, WERE DRIVING DOWN THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, ETC!!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM

yes....season brings a few too many grumpy ones, but guess what they bring lots of $$ to feed the economy here, so try to maintain a patient attitude...you might end up being one of these grumpy people yourself one day.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM

124 posts, read 333,454 times
Just make sure that you chose a family orientated community and that most of the residents are full time. It's a wonderful place to raise small children, I should know I work part time in a local pre-school. So I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by youngsters and their energy most days, not to mention that mine are both in elementary school. Every weekend we have fun as a family and being in a great community can make the world of difference. My children have made great friends with other children that live in our community, it's nice to have that neighborly feel. There are many great organic local food stores and as for parks, they are everywhere. Like someone mentioned earlier" For anyone to say it's not family oriented is just a reflection of your own choices."
Good Luck...

Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 29,082 times
I thought Brittany Bay was a place to stay away from? I live in a 2bdr in what I think is a so so(across the street from Golden Gate Community Park) area and I pay more than what Brittany Bay charges for a 4 bdrm.

Decent organic stores in order: Food and Thought, Whole Foods, Trader Joes. Fabulous farmers markets on Saturdays on 3rd Street and Vanderbilt Beach road. The vendors in each are are awesome, Nick Batty of Inyoni farms has a stall at each and his greens are pretty great.

I can't comment on activities for children because I do not have children and most likely never will. My husband and I are in our early/mid 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples