Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM

13 posts, read 49,494 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to Naples from South Florida and would like to get some input from locals or those who lived there on whether it is a nice place to raise YOUNG children. I have a 1 and 3 year old. We are vegetarians, so a nice network of natural food stores/choices would be ideal, as well as an abundance of parks, bike paths, anything outdoors. Does Naples support this kind of lifestyle?

Also, we will need to rent and are thinking about renting a 4 bedroom apartment. I noticed the prices are really good (under $1500 for a 4 bedroom in most places). We like the idea of an apartment that takes care of everything for us. Any advice on particular apartment complexes?

Crime is a concern- compared with Broward County, not sure how Lee County compares. Any personal experiences/ knowledge of this?

I would need a good preschool in Naples for the kids- any recommendations?

Finally, what is traffic like around Naples? My husband would be commuting to his job from Naples to Big Cypress Park about 70 miles east on 75. . .is the traffic okay in the morning and evening along alligator alley?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Naples is not a young person's town. It is primarily a wealthy retirement town run by wealthy retirees. The economy and political machine reflect this. Wealthy retirees don't want to spend their money on kid things since their kids are grown. The indoor roller skating rink closed down and a bingo hall opened in its place.

That said, there are plenty of families here and plenty of decent places to live. You just need realistic expectations.

A vegan restaurant just opened here, which surprised me. I have no detailed knowledge of the health food store network here. There are plenty of outdoor things to do.

I don't know the crime stats but nearly all of Naples is relatively safe. There are pockets to avoid.

Preschool-My kid went to Grace Community but that was long ago.

Traffic: Hell in the winter, deserted in the summer. The alley will be OK but it is the commute between your house and the alley will be the challenge.

I strongly suggest renting a house or condo. Apartment complexes in Naples are all ghetto, some worse than others.

If you post street names or complex names we can give better advice.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Thank you for the response. Currently we pay 1400/month for a 2 bedroom, so I was looking at paying 1500-1600 for a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment in Naples. When I searched for rental apartments I found the following two- in our price range and seemingly really nice. Can you provide insight?

Thanks so much!

Falls of Portofino

7047 Ambrosia Lane (Clubhouse) Naples, FL 34119

and

Malibu Lakes

2115 Malibu Lake Circle Naples, FL 34119-8718

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
The Falls:
-Condos, not apartments-this is a plus.
-Nice area near shopping center
-Further south that Malibu but further from the Interstate
-Overall I would say good.

Malibu Lakes:
-Apartment complex. I thought these went condo during the boom but apparently not. Rule of thumb-apartment complexes in Naples are ghetto-some worse than others. This one falls into the better side.
-Close to the Interstate and everything else.

Is your husband working at the park office on 41 in Ochopee?

Unless you really don't care about the commute I would look more south.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM

79 posts, read 289,942 times
We recently moved to the Naples area. Been here about 5 years. We have two children 5 and 2. I am also a teacher. From experience I can tell you that the schools are ehhhhh ok, the farther west you live, the better off you will be. Once you head over 75 youll run into a worse crowd.. You want to find a place between 41 and 75... You will run into 90% of population is over 65.... The othr 10% is made up of 5% transplants, the other 5% locals...
Roads to stay close to for nicer nieghborhoods... Vanderbilt drive, gulf shore drive, pineridge road. Immoklee road close to 75 say 3 miles either way...
For a nice 3 bedroom home your looking at $2000+ in a nice neighborhood with a good school..
Stay away from Golden Gate...
Bonita springs has some nice parts , as well as Estero close to 41...cheaper as well
brother has a nice development $1400 for a nice house and pool etc...close to beach...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanamist View Post
Thank you for the response. Currently we pay 1400/month for a 2 bedroom, so I was looking at paying 1500-1600 for a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment in Naples. When I searched for rental apartments I found the following two- in our price range and seemingly really nice. Can you provide insight?

Thanks so much!

Falls of Portofino

7047 Ambrosia Lane (Clubhouse) Naples, FL 34119

and

Malibu Lakes

2115 Malibu Lake Circle Naples, FL 34119-8718
Both of these are OK... Very busy intersection at Immoklee rd and 75 area the one near Malibu Lakes..

Looks like your on the right track....

I would choose the Falls over Malibu just becuase of location and that is in the heart of a nice nice area..

Dont forget though... Naples area is much older in ages compared to South Florida...

We have 2 children and are leaving for younger pastures.. Everything is for the older generation.. We have one waterpark.. and thats about it...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanamist View Post

I would need a good preschool in Naples for the kids- any recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Mrs Hamricks Preschool off Vanderbilt and Bonita Beach RD north naples... 3 hours a day.. $380 a month... various classes with 5 students to 1 teacher in seperate nice classrooms...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM

wow, thanks everyone, you really have me thinking. . .not quite sure what we are going to do yet but will certainly take all into consideration, as well as read up on all the posts regarding Naples (keeping an open mind of course!).

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 50,017 times
I hear the private schools are good, but the public ones are so-so to crap. There are all kinds of tutors and retired private teachers that are famous for their art or music or whatever. The dance schools are great, as are the art classes downtown.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I agree Naples is not a family oriented community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples