Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 38,441 times

Advertisements

I would like real strait answer on the Naples Florida on mosquitoes, love bugs, insects etc. I live in San Diego, CA and thinking in moving & retire to The Sarasota, Naples Florida area. I hate insects, bugs mosquitoes etc. I just can’t imagine living my life spraying repellent onmy legs, arms; head to protect me from bugs & mosquitoes. In San Diego we don’t have anything like that. I take a very long walks about five miles daily in the morning and in the evening. I heard in Florida you can’t do that unless you spray yourself to avoid being biting. I like a response from people who lives in south west of Florida who experiences all of this insects bugs etc. Please give me your opinion about it. I can’t just pack and move to Florida and then hate it because of bugs. Your frankness is greatly appreciated. I also noticed that lots of homes on sale have Pons around them. Is this going to cause more problems? Should I avoid buying a home with pones or water close to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,023 posts, read 6,505,616 times
I still live in Central NJ. From May until October we have to deal with mosquitoes (your spelling, as I cannot spell either), deer/strawberry flies, greenheads, and other biting insects. I cannot walk in the woods or be out at night without being bitten alot.

We have homes in Murrells Inlet, SC and Naples, FL. While I admit that we have yet to spend an entire season in either place (although I believe we have hit all the seasons in SC and all of spring in Naples), I am amazed at the lack of bugs. No flies that bite. Few mosquitoes. I have never applied bug repellent in either location and have experienced no problems with being bitten.

Now driving through the southern states on the interstates, especially central Florida, you can expect to have to clean the bug splatter off your vehicle. Don't let it bake on. I use used drier sheets that I wet. Then I wash and wax.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
It depends where in Naples. I found the bugs were worse in South Naples than where I am now. Although, that may well be because in develoopments, especially the golf ones, they routinely spray for bugs. It could also be that the closer you are to the water, the more bugs.

I don't know but I haven't gotten a mosquito bite in about 2 years.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM

57 posts, read 110,722 times
I live closer to the beach and don't find them terrible at all. Up north they were HORRENDOUS.. Black flies, ticks, skeeters spiders etc.. Down here I rarely very rarely come across a spider and 9times outta 10 its a tiny daddy long legs. As for as mosquitoes they do come out in the summer and unless ur walking in high grassy or an open field ur typically not bothered. I mean I don't even own bug spray. They come out at dawn and dusk but during the actual daytime u won't be bit at all they're not out. We do have other bugs like moths fireflies and dragonflies, noseeums (once again dawn and dusk) and just other insects that aren't a bother. So no its not like we walk outside and we're attacked and swarmed running for our cars leaving a trail of OFF. I got bit more up north than I ever have down here.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,721,942 times
There are no bugs in Florida, what are you guys talking about? They are all in the north, i have never seen a bug in all of FL.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

320 posts, read 1,125,409 times
In general, it's not that bad. As others have stated, it'll vary greatly on where exactly you are walking. If you are in a residential area, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM

340 posts, read 1,041,052 times
Default bugs

there are a lot of mosquitos at Dusk, as it gets darker they will come out. Especially during the rainy season.(Summer)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,257,024 times
Didn't anyone tell you mosquitos are our state bird?
Didn't you here the worst times of day to get attacked are dawn and dusk?
Did you not ever hear of "no-see-ems"?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae - Cached - Similar
Did you know due to budgetary constraints-bad economy we don't hear the planes spraying in the morning anymore?

Seriously, I have friends and family on Marco I visit and critters never seem a problem.
However, I'm very close to the mangroves and it doesn't matter, day or night, bad economy or not, these man (and women) eating critters are fat and happy this year. Plus this year we've- my development has had a major attack of grasshoppers eating everything they can,(see link to view our lubber grasshoppers
www.wildflorida.com/.../Floridas_Giant_Orange_Grasshoppers.php )

and I've been here since '99, and never seen it like this year - maybe our cold, cold winter has something to do with it? Like a couple of years ago we had the attack of millions of frogs when it rained and rained.

So you can really say a whole town or county is bad. It just depend on too many variables.

Last edited by B4U; 08-11-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Actually when I was in NY last week and we were sitting outside having a BBQ, the bugs were biting my daughter like crazy. I didn't get bitten at all so it may just be me. They do seem to prefer some people over others.

My husband says it is GARLIC. Eat a lot of food made with garlic and the mosquitos don't like the smell. I don't know if that is true, but I do know when my cats had fleas I gave them brewers yeast mixed in with their food and the fleas stayed away from them. Supposedly the fleas don't like brewers yeast. Maybe mosquitos don't like garlic either. I don't know, but at least it's a tasty option!

The mosquitoes are worse in the summer during the rainy season with standing water where they can breed. Also, our condo in South Naples was near The Rookery so that may have played a factor in the bug situation there. Yet, even there the no see ums were much worse than the mosquitoes.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-11-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atassm View Post
I would like real strait answer on the Naples Florida on mosquitoes, love bugs, insects etc. I live in San Diego, CA and thinking in moving & retire to The Sarasota, Naples Florida area. I hate insects, bugs mosquitoes etc. I just can’t imagine living my life spraying repellent onmy legs, arms; head to protect me from bugs & mosquitoes. In San Diego we don’t have anything like that. I take a very long walks about five miles daily in the morning and in the evening. I heard in Florida you can’t do that unless you spray yourself to avoid being biting. I like a response from people who lives in south west of Florida who experiences all of this insects bugs etc. Please give me your opinion about it. I can’t just pack and move to Florida and then hate it because of bugs. Your frankness is greatly appreciated. I also noticed that lots of homes on sale have Pons around them. Is this going to cause more problems? Should I avoid buying a home with pones or water close to it?
As a 20 plus year Southern CA resident now in Florida let me just tell you will not be doing 5 mile morning and evening walks here.

CA has cool mornings and evenings even in the summer with maybe the exception of August and Sept.

But between the heat and the humidity you will not be walking like that. It isn't just the bugs it is the horrific heat with the exception of the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples