Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,406 times

Advertisements

hey all just moved to Naples and looking at Golden gate for a mini farm, lots of people are pissed about FEMA's new flood hazard maps...still cant find a good one on-line. Everything I find is very cryptic and hard to read....thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
It seems nobody can get an actual map. However, if it is true what they say that ALL of Collier County is now considered a flood zone, who needs a map? It used to be east of I-75 was not considered a flood zone before; too far away from the coastline. That is what we were told when we bought in East Naples 3 years ago. We weren't considered to be in a flood zone either. So even Immokalee is now a flood zone? The farms are going to love that one. Imagine insuring those farmlands.

Did "somebody" make a deal with the insurance companies????

Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,406 times
almost sounds like the insurance people made a deal with FEMA.....

I am REALLY curious about this "new" map

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Here is the link, pasted below...

Plug in your address, zoom it if you have to, and take a look.
The site is not hugely informative on their ratings, it is tagged
"preliminary, and that blue 500 X area is hugely theoretical, imo.

We are in the "good" color and, no mort. so, it is what it is.
Our western NC house is at 5,000 ft so that one is out of any flood zone, ;>)
GL, mD

http://maps.colliergov.net/websites/dfirms/femaprelimdfirmviewer.html (broken link)

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM

228 posts, read 536,360 times
If you want the real FEMA FIRM maps going here and select a community and proceed to find the area you are looking for.

FEMA Map Service Center - FEMA Issued Flood Maps

Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
FL this is the message I get when I type in my area:

Sorry there are no items to display for this State, County and Community.
Please check the Future or Historic Maps for available panels.

Thanks anyway.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
motordavid, yours worked. Thanks. I already knew the bad news and have been paying thru the nose for 11 years. I guess I'll be paying more now. What else is new.
Ah, paradise!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I finally got on to a FEMA map. I live in East Naples just west of I-75. I was in an "x" zone before and I am still rated as an "x" zone.

I really don't understand why they rated the Estates as a Flood Zone. They are actually even farther way from the water than I am.

Does it have to do with the developmemt you live in or perhaps the elevation of the particular area you live in? The roads where I live drain off very quickly and my devleopment never floods with heavy rains.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

15 posts, read 55,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I finally got on to a FEMA map. I live in East Naples just west of I-75. I was in an "x" zone before and I am still rated as an "x" zone.

I really don't understand why they rated the Estates as a Flood Zone. They are actually even farther way from the water than I am.
I have heard the Estates are a Flood Zone because of sheet flow. Despite the greatest efforts to drain the Everglades there, there is still risk of flooding during heavy downpours. I guess on one hand it's a sign of nature's resiliency.

The other ironic thing is that while the majority of a lot may be subject to the sheetflow flooding, the house itself may be elevated 3-4 feet on an artificial "hill," making it safe from flooding. Some people out there want adjusters to come out and take this into account- which is only fair if it is less of a risk than a house flush with the ground. But for now it's based on the maps.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 PM

225 posts, read 493,770 times
What's the difference between AE and X zones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples