U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 40,131 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Naples, from Ohio, for a 6 month position at Physician's Regional. I was suggested to look at San Marino Apartments. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. From the pictures, they look pretty nice, but I will be renting sight unseen. Please let me know if you have any info on San Marino or even other recommendations near Collier Blvd. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priestc6223 View Post
I'm moving to Naples, from Ohio, for a 6 month position at Physician's Regional. I was suggested to look at San Marino Apartments. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. From the pictures, they look pretty nice, but I will be renting sight unseen. Please let me know if you have any info on San Marino or even other recommendations near Collier Blvd. Thanks!

i have some friends who acually just left from there. they said it was nice and would recomend it

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

3,213 posts, read 7,072,961 times
It's a mixed bag in there. I would avoid it if you have other options. Naples apartment complexes are ghetto, some worse than others.

I would look for a condo to rent in any of those gated communities on Collier or off Davis Blvd. Some of the Radio Road complexes are OK.

Is it just you?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:33 PM

13 posts, read 40,131 times
I'm looking for a 2BR/2BA under $1000 unfurnished or up to $1300/month furnished. I've looked on craigslist but for the prices condos are listed for, I just expected more. But, I'm from Ohio where for $1000/month you can get an amazing apartment. I figured San Marino would be nicer since they are considered luxury apartments.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Naples real estate prices are always more expensive for what you get compared to most other places in Florida. I can't compare to Ohio.

It was that way before the boom, during the boom, and after the boom.

You should be able to find something decent for your budget.

One thing to note-a lot of rentals are seasonal which means higher pricing for those few months. You might be able to negotiate this, especially if you can pay in advance.

Look through the paper:Rentals in Zip Code 34104 - Naples News - Real Estate

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,718 posts, read 5,752,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
It's a mixed bag in there. I would avoid it if you have other options. Naples apartment complexes are ghetto, some worse than others.

I have seen the above (about "ghettos") stated several times on this forum over the year. I am trying to understand. I guess it is being used as a relative term (compared to, say, some of the luxury condo complexes)?

Having retired from a law enforcement type career and being from the North East, I have been to real ghettos. I have seen nothing like those in Naples (although I have been through what I might call a ghetto in the Orlando area).

Lets take Summer Wind apartment complex on Pine Ridge as an example (only because I walked by in on my 6 mile walk this morning). It looks pleasant and well maintained. Would this be an example of a "ghetto" apartment complex in some forum members optinion?? If so, why?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Summer Wind is ghetto but it is one of the better ones.

I am also in public safety and have been to ALL of the apartment complexes in Naples.

Why? Here is my theory....

There is not much middle class in Naples and even less middle class housing. There is just not much market for it. Naples is a service based economy. The population consist of retirees, tourists, and the wealthy who demand, and can afford, housing above that standard. The other part of the population are the service workers who traditionally are in low wage, low skilled jobs.

The only housing they can afford (maybe) is an apartment. You have all (mostly) the lower end of the economic scale living (or crammed) into the apartment complexes. There is no where else they can afford. This breeds an enviornment of crime, drugs, assaults, partying, illegals etc, all in a concentrated area. Some are income restricted (have to make below a certain amount), Section 8 etc.

This has been greatly reduced since the economy tanked but it is still there. Hosing is still expensive in Naples when you are making $10/hour. During the boom it was horrendous. There was a great frenzy to convert apartments into condos. Owners started kicking everyone out, legally or otherwise, so they could remodel and sell for a quick profit. Those displaced were forced into the dwindling supply of apartments that could now raise prices due to the short supply.

Here's an example: A few years ago a school opened in a wealthy area whose attendance boundaries would border Golden Gate. GG is a low to middle class area. A "parent group" was formed to design the boundaries for the new school. They submitted their plan. There were ZERO apartment complexes. The GG school had FOURTEEN. It was so blatantly obvious they carved out all the apartments. They didn't want apartment kids attending their school. This scheme unraveled and the boudaries were changed to something sensible.

Read this thread, post #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...-confused.html

I think it is a good summary of what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by RMD3819; 11-05-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 AM

OK, I guess I think of ghetto in terms of physical condition of the area of buildings. I know that is not the historical meaning of the word.

By your definition, as I understand it, I lived in a couple "ghetto" appartments in Northern NJ when I was first married (and could not yet afford a house). They (those appartment complexes) were not where I would want to live all my life, but they were not bad for a 21-year-old......

Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,494,011 times
Yes. There are ghettos in Orlando, so you probably saw one. Immokalee has some very scary areas, too. Naples has less scary areas than both of those places but there can still be some big problems.

Here is one of the things that I noticed, moving to Florida from the northeast. Some places are obviously scary and then there are neighborhoods that look like they are "starter" areas, or even a little better. Heck, the sun is shining, the palm trees are swaying, and most of the buildings aren't that old. Be careful of that. I learned over and over, the hard way, that just because something looks fine, it doesn't mean that it is.

In fact, I found that in Florida, often there were more criminals and con artists in very nice areas than you would expect. I suspect that has to do with the transient nature of the area and that so many "wanted" folks and grifters are attracted to the state and the wealthy but senior population.

RMD3819 knows what he is talking about.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Warning taken. Thanks.

I agree that it is a lot easier to be careful in a "scary" area and easier to avoid same then an area that appears fine.

I am doing a lot of walking and bike riding in the Naples area. So I will keep my guard up. Of course the most anyone will get is my bike. I carry nothing valuable with me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples