U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,567 times

Advertisements

I just read the following article, and am a little bit troubled. Looks like serious issues for the real estate market here for several years to come. I am a homeowner who wants to sell, but homes don't seem to be moving very fast. If foreclosures continue to flood the market, housing prices will continue to drop. This is very troubling. With the recession and the gulf oil spill keeping visitors away I too have noticed a downturn in the season visitors.

Foreclosure crisis hits home for all - Real Estate News - MiamiHerald.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM

256 posts, read 684,010 times
I'm a bit more optimistic than that for 2011. My business is doing very well compared to 2009 and 2010. I'm seeing lots of upturn indicators in Naples.

Believing the Miami Herald is like believing the NYT.

Beth

Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM

The problem is that there are going to be more foreclosures to come on the market. That will probably drive prices down even more.

I'm glad your business is doing well.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM

I think there's another side to it. Naples attracts retirees, most of whom have done pretty well and have investment income. Market is up a bit, house prices are down and the retirement statistics continue to grow.

I think our greatest advantage is our climate, it sets the stage for everything else that happens in Naples.

I wish you luck selling your house. I'm hoping 2011 starts looking better for everyone.

Beth

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM

48 posts, read 175,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Mone` View Post
I think there's another side to it. Naples attracts retirees, most of whom have done pretty well and have investment income. Market is up a bit, house prices are down and the retirement statistics continue to grow.

I think our greatest advantage is our climate, it sets the stage for everything else that happens in Naples.

I wish you luck selling your house. I'm hoping 2011 starts looking better for everyone.

Beth

Well, We have been looking to buy a property in naples but we changed our minds. Some areas are still very pricey (over priced) even with all the forclosures and we have heard the same thing about the real estate in naples being risky so I think we are either going to wait a few year or just look other areas.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM

18 posts, read 47,006 times
Default overpriced, indeed

I definitely agree many properties in Naples are overpriced, but do you think it is worth making an offer if considerably below the asking price?
Or is this just adding insult & considered poor taste?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM

I think you'll find that it's not as overpriced as you think for that area in the City of Naples. It's all location location location. The same house just a few blocks S and W would be double that. Even farther S into Port Royal it would double a couple more times. It's land value.

I think a lot of people confuse the City of Naples with the greater surrounding area. The City of Naples is only 23000 people. It is built out and has been for many years. It's a jewel on the sea surrounded by a swamp.

Property values in Naples have always been much higher in comparison than the surrounding communities which call themselves Naples.

Beth

Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM

592 posts, read 1,674,297 times
I'm with you SamFL. Last night on the tv news they said Naples has come back big time and they painted a glorious picture of our "recovering" market statistically. They failed, however, to mention that house prices have never stopped coming down in Naples which is why Europeans and Americans, for that matter, are purchasing our homes at the rate they are doing so. So, is this really good news? I'm not impressed!

Last year our house was worth approximately $479. This year it would sell (if it sold at all) for $405 if we were lucky. I only wish there were a law that builders couldn't build new houses in the area until the pre existing inventory got to a normal amount. The last thing the rest of us who already bought in Naples, but want to sell their homes, need is more competition on the market. I, of course, do understand why builders are allowed to build new homes. They have to eat, too.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM

The problem is that there are still many more houses to come on the market this year due to foreclosure. That is trouble for future home prices.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM

48 posts, read 175,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnurse View Post
I definitely agree many properties in Naples are overpriced, but do you think it is worth making an offer if considerably below the asking price?
Or is this just adding insult & considered poor taste?
Well, I think that depends on how much below the selling price your offer would be. If the property have been on the market for a long time 1-2 year then I would say it worth making a much lower offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples