Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM

458 posts, read 593,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermomlol View Post
Naples is a very beautiful area with beautiful beaches. It has also changed overall though. With all the expanding roads, now a very lovely (cough)
overpass, The high rise office buildings. Yep, Naples is a peach.
Sure all towns change. It is not the town I moved to 30 years ago, and wanted to move to. You want it you can have it.

As far as money people here and choosing to spend it here. If Naples continues on the path it is on, this will change. As far as growth, well don't believe everything you read. I know plenty of people who have been laid off their construction jobs they have had for years. Why? Because there is no work. Anything you see now is all old permitting. Nothing new. I know this because I live in the real world of Naples. Not the, "I live in Pelican Bay", come here for 6 months out of the year and go to the "tennis school". Give me a break!

You are sick of Naples bashing. Well I am sick of Naples. I have lived here and have put up with enough bull long enough to have the right to bash it. Period!
I appreciate the info on Naples...but I think you mixed two posters in together. I posted the original, saying we are trying to choose between Naples and Boca as our daughter will be attending a tennis academy, we would be full time residents. Another poster defended Naples saying they were tired of the bashing, they said they lived in Pelican Bay. 2 different stories and people.

So there is no one saying they "live in Pelican Bay and come for 6 months to go to tennis school".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 60,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
I appreciate the info on Naples...but I think you mixed two posters in together. I posted the original, saying we are trying to choose between Naples and Boca as our daughter will be attending a tennis academy, we would be full time residents. Another poster defended Naples saying they were tired of the bashing, they said they lived in Pelican Bay. 2 different stories and people.

So there is no one saying they "live in Pelican Bay and come for 6 months to go to tennis school".
Actually I was refering to 2 other posts when I made that comment. Not yours though. Shevesky31 about living in Pelican Bay and florida1 sick of the bashing and the tennis school.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,359,535 times
I find it quite interesting that the people defending Naples are the 'visitors' or the ones that live in a very affluent gated community that shelters them from the reality of what the rest of Naples is like. And yet the ones telling you how bad it's become, regardless of clean streets and gorgeous beaches are the ones that have lived there for a very long time and seen the changes for themselves first hand.

Yep, if I could live in Pelican Bay or Bonita Bay (though BB is technically Lee County) or Naples Cay or Quail West for a few months of the year I might consider it. But as a full time middle-class resident, I'd never recommend it to anyone.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:37 PM

124 posts, read 813,589 times
Hahaha. I love this post and will come back to read it often. We just bought a home up north and are leaving Naples next week after living here for 17 years. At times I am questioning myself if we made the right choice or not. But when I read your posts about the overload of illegals, crowded roads, expensive housing, pitifully small lots closer in to town, and the "have" and "have not" mentality we all know so well around here.....not to mention all the little mommies who took lines of credit out on their homes to afford the big ole Hummer or Suburban to cart around one little kid (that kills me lol). Oh yes, thank you all, you have reminded and reaffirmed in my my that Naples is not a place I want to raise my family!! Buh-bye!!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 22,075 times
If Naples continues on the path it's on supermom, people will spend just as much if not more money. It's still the most desirable location in Florida and will always stay that way. Now with the looming recession, the country as a whole will slow down.
If you don't like the estates, try looking at Pelican Marsh. You can find some nice stuff there in the mid to upper 300's which is a bargain.
I've been coming to Naples for 9 years now (and only stay for weeks at a time), and everyone I know agrees that the area has and is changing for the better. Better restaurants, stores, activities, and like always, friendly people.

I hear Utah has a lot of white people. Maybe the Mexicans haven't heard about it yet.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevsky31 View Post
If Naples continues on the path it's on supermom, people will spend just as much if not more money. It's still the most desirable location in Florida and will always stay that way. Now with the looming recession, the country as a whole will slow down.
If you don't like the estates, try looking at Pelican Marsh. You can find some nice stuff there in the mid to upper 300's which is a bargain.
I've been coming to Naples for 9 years now (and only stay for weeks at a time), and everyone I know agrees that the area has and is changing for the better. Better restaurants, stores, activities, and like always, friendly people.

I hear Utah has a lot of white people. Maybe the Mexicans haven't heard about it yet.
Ya know, I'm glad you love Naples. Someone has to. But please understand, for those that have lived there for many years and saw what a beautiful, natural, untouched place it used to be, what it has become is undesirable. I could care less about restaurants, stores, and the like. That's not what's important to me anymore. I grew up and have moved past the material possesions phase of my life. What's important is family and their safety. And to many people that read this, calling the upper 300s makes you sound like a real pompous jerk. I'm not saying you are, just saying that statements like that may lead one to feel that way. And the fact that you yourself have stated you only spend weeks at a time there, you have no clue what Naples is all about - just what it's become.

Again, I'm glad you like your vacations there. That's wonderful. But for those of us that grew up in the area, we'll always long for it to return to a sleepy little fishing village and will be sad knowing it can never be that way again.

And they call it progress.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ya know, I'm glad you love Naples. Someone has to. But please understand, for those that have lived there for many years and saw what a beautiful, natural, untouched place it used to be, what it has become is undesirable. I could care less about restaurants, stores, and the like. That's not what's important to me anymore. I grew up and have moved past the material possesions phase of my life. What's important is family and their safety. And to many people that read this, calling the upper 300s makes you sound like a real pompous jerk. I'm not saying you are, just saying that statements like that may lead one to feel that way. And the fact that you yourself have stated you only spend weeks at a time there, you have no clue what Naples is all about - just what it's become.

Again, I'm glad you like your vacations there. That's wonderful. But for those of us that grew up in the area, we'll always long for it to return to a sleepy little fishing village and will be sad knowing it can never be that way again.

And they call it progress.
mrs1885- you are my new best friend! LOL
you took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM

103 posts, read 430,628 times
Yes- take Naples off your list. It is really a beautiful, clean, manicured town with lots of dinning, and shopping- but you won't want to be here during season. Everything is so crowded(restaurants, shops, roads) that you will avoid leaving home. Also- I find that the snowbirds(most very wealthy) are very rude-it's all about them. If you are wealthy then you might like it. I was born and raised in Naples and my husband and I are looking to get out of here. Large numbers of illegal immigrants. Are you fluent in spanish? Go to walmart supercenter and you will feel like you have crossed the border. So if you are very wealthy and can afford to live in the elite areas of town, then you may only run into mexicans when they are manicuring your lawn, if you are middle class, you will have trouble finding an affordable place to live. It's really quite sad. Off season is pretty nice as crowds go-if you don't mind several months of sweltering heat and threat of hurricanes. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicilyb View Post
Yes- take Naples off your list. It is really a beautiful, clean, manicured town with lots of dinning, and shopping- but you won't want to be here during season. Everything is so crowded(restaurants, shops, roads) that you will avoid leaving home. Also- I find that the snowbirds(most very wealthy) are very rude-it's all about them. If you are wealthy then you might like it. I was born and raised in Naples and my husband and I are looking to get out of here. Large numbers of illegal immigrants. Are you fluent in spanish? Go to walmart supercenter and you will feel like you have crossed the border. So if you are very wealthy and can afford to live in the elite areas of town, then you may only run into mexicans when they are manicuring your lawn, if you are middle class, you will have trouble finding an affordable place to live. It's really quite sad. Off season is pretty nice as crowds go-if you don't mind several months of sweltering heat and threat of hurricanes. Good luck.
You forgot to mention when they say "well up north ....." or we do it like this where we are from ......."

Old 07-27-2007, 09:49 AM

458 posts, read 593,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicilyb View Post
I do appreciate all the info. on Naples. We were leaning that way several weeks ago....the right teaching style tennis academy...Golden Gates Estates looked like nice sized lots, which we like.

But we are also into our dogs...not many dog friendly parks in Naples. Golden Gates Estates sounds like you could have nice house, right next to a mess of a house. And it does not sound like the most kid friendly area.

Anyway, Parkland/west Boca is looking like our choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples