U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
 
13 posts, read 46,190 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Is mold common in condos close to the water? Just had inspections done and was told that there is a little mold on a few interior doors and in a closet, but this is very common here and can easily be taken care of.

I have a child with asthma and have allergies myself and am very scared that it can't be removed or can come back.

Please help! Should I buy? Can it be removed permanently?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
 
102 posts, read 242,190 times
Reputation: 57
Mold is not all that common. I've heard about a few cases where mold was the result of a snowbird going up north for the summer and leaving the AC OFF. It's really hot and humid in the summer, with no climate control mold will grow. It's not easy to fix. The couple I know who unknowingly purchased a moldy unit finally just sold it because they were sick all the time even though everything was cleaned. I'd forget this one and find another unit, just my 2 cents! Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
 
46 posts, read 99,563 times
Reputation: 19
Mold will continue to be active if the humidity is above 65-70%. Below that, and the spores will die. Since Florida has high humidity, I would assume it may be a problem. Best thing to do is find the water source where the mold is growing such as windows or doors not being sealed, and do what you can to seal the water off.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
 
16 posts, read 42,423 times
Reputation: 17
The EPA has an entire section on mold and moisture. It's a US government site (not a business site), so I posted link: epa.gov/mold Use vinegar or a commercial mold killer product (not mold STAIN remover). Then use bleach (if it's a hard surface) to get rid of any stains. .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
 
592 posts, read 1,667,276 times
Reputation: 538
IMO...Run for the hills! I've been here for 10 years, and no, mold is not common in any home, condo or otherwise, that has been lived in and taken care of properly. It's a good sign that someone, for some reason, left the a/c off for a long time during summertime (as another poster here already indicated).

If the condo was ever in foreclosure that would mean the condo had no a/c while the bank owned it. Or, the a/c broke or some such thing while the owner was up North, it was summer, and mold does grow then, very quickly if the place is not aired out.

IMO, if I had a child with asthma, I wouldn't even consider getting involved with that place. There is such a glut of condos for sale on the market, surely there are others that don't exhibit this problem and would be safe for your child and much less hassle for you.

Only my opinion, it's certainly up to you in the end. But, best be warned what you may be getting yourself into.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
 
181 posts, read 424,082 times
Reputation: 47
Having just gone through this issue much further North in VA, I can tell you that MANY residents here, think mold problems do not exist. Clearly it does. The house I wanted to buy had black mold. This is one the worst types to find. It was a $13,000 fix. We did not purchase the home. I too, have asthma and allergies. If the problem does not get fixed properly, it will grow back. Bleach in some instances is a temporary fix. Ventilation is a key component to correcting the problem. A professional environmental specialist should be consulted. I understand that home inspectors in Florida do not have to be licensed.....(at least thats the way it was a few years ago.) If the mold is not removed in the proper fashion, the spores can become airbourne and adhere to other spaces and grow.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top