U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM

84 posts, read 142,863 times

Advertisements

Hopefully DH will get the transfer he's put in for...we have family in Bonita Springs...his work will be in Naples.

Are there any areas in either Naples area or Bonita Springs we should totally avoid due to bad neighborhood/crime? Does anybody have guidelines to specific areas, i.e. avoid buying between x and y from 10th to 22nd, you get the idea.

We will need a place that allows our Golden Retriever and Scotty, and are considering both condos and single family homes. I did see that Bonita has a great dog beach.

I've been looking on the net at listings for about a month. We eventually will have to go down and take a look around, I know. Trying to get all the info I can. We would also consider an over 55 community.

Any comments appreciated.....thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM

592 posts, read 1,666,097 times
I only have a comment or two and not much help, I'm afraid. Hopefully your family in Bonita will be able to help you to know where to and where not to buy in that town.

As far as Naples goes, we live in East Naples, or South Naples as they like to call it now, which, in general, isn't considered a "prime" area compared to North Naples. But, we love it here as do many others (much less traffic and very close to the beach and downtown) and there are many very beautiful neighborhoods here, too. We began living in Naples ten years ago in an East Naples condo and invested in our brand new private home five years ago in the same area. You might want to avoid the area along Rte. 41 South (called Tamiami Trail South), and west of Rte. 41 South and go a bit East of that, however, if you head over this way as far as investment purposes go. Lely Resort, Old Lely, Verona Walk, The Glades, Kings Lake, Crown Lake, Foxfire, Winter Park, and many more are all nice areas in East Naples. North Naples, to my knowledge, is very nice everywhere, but perhaps others can tell you more about that.

As so many people advise "newbies" such as yourself, although it's a nuisance, it's a good idea to rent for a year or so before you buy. It's a very big town with many, many areas. You'll really need a lot of time to check this town out properly.

In my experience I would think you're going to have a difficult time finding a condo that will allow two dogs, much less one of them being a Golden. Most condos have a weight limit of anywhere between 15-35 pounds at the most, and a lot of them only allow one pet per unit. For space and freedom you'd have to live in Golden Gate, probably. Being from the North, it took me quite awhile to get used to all the RULES everywhere in Naples!

Best of luck to you!!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
I only have a comment or two and not much help, I'm afraid. Hopefully your family in Bonita will be able to help you to know where to and where not to buy in that town.

As far as Naples goes, we live in East Naples, or South Naples as they like to call it now, which, in general, isn't considered a "prime" area compared to North Naples. But, we love it here as do many others (much less traffic and very close to the beach and downtown) and there are many very beautiful neighborhoods here, too. We began living in Naples ten years ago in an East Naples condo and invested in our brand new private home five years ago in the same area. You might want to avoid the area along Rte. 41 South (called Tamiami Trail South), and west of Rte. 41 South and go a bit East of that, however, if you head over this way as far as investment purposes go. Lely Resort, Old Lely, Verona Walk, The Glades, Kings Lake, Crown Lake, Foxfire, Winter Park, and many more are all nice areas in East Naples. North Naples, to my knowledge, is very nice everywhere, but perhaps others can tell you more about that.

As so many people advise "newbies" such as yourself, although it's a nuisance, it's a good idea to rent for a year or so before you buy. It's a very big town with many, many areas. You'll really need a lot of time to check this town out properly.

In my experience I would think you're going to have a difficult time finding a condo that will allow two dogs, much less one of them being a Golden. Most condos have a weight limit of anywhere between 15-35 pounds at the most, and a lot of them only allow one pet per unit. For space and freedom you'd have to live in Golden Gate, probably. Being from the North, it took me quite awhile to get used to all the RULES everywhere in Naples!

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks judipatooti- now a question about Golden Gate Estates....somehow husband thinks he read somewhere (he can't remember where...) that we should avoid this area at all costs. Our budget is really limited. Seems like we could find a home there that would meet our needs. However, I want to be able to take a walk down the street without worrying about getting knocked over, or have our home broken into. I know this could happen anywhere, but would you say that this REALLY is an area to avoid???? Thanks......

Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 AM

3,157 posts, read 6,872,706 times
Golden Gate Estates is perectly safe, unless, of course, you are looking for trouble-like anywhere. It is affordable there, especially now, but you have to watch commute issues.

Golden Gate City is mixed. One street decent middle class and the next street ghetto.

Judi has given good advice. Rent first. The dogs are gonna be a problem in condos.

Almost all of Naples is safe. Post some streets/developments you are looking at so we can give specific advice.

What part of Naples will hubby be working in? You have to watch commute issues no matter where you live.

I can't help with Bonita, except to say there are definitely some areas to avoid.

The dog beach is nice.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 AM

592 posts, read 1,666,097 times
I don't know much about Golden Gates Estates, only from having driven through it. From that I'd have to say that there are some beautiful areas and homes there, though, and you'd have space and land for yourself and your dogs. It's a very big area and tends to have a rural feel with a much longer drive to shopping and things like that, though. That drive would get further and further the more East you live.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM

He will be working somewhere North of Pine Ridge and west of Airport Pulling Road... I think we will have a better shot at things when he gets down there...We saw a cute home in Bonita and actually had my brother-in-law drive over to see it. It was gone before we could even make an offer. I've seen some possibilities in Golden Gate...but as you mention, some of those home are pretty far out. When I originally posted, I was pretty sure we were going to get the transfer....but we didn't actually hear officially until yesterday. I'm excited. Thanks for you help...I'll probably be back with questions.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,290 times
Anyone thinking of living in Golden Gate should look at the number of registered sex offenders in that area, especially if you have children.

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Neighborhood Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,282,504 times
Naples Manor isn't advised either. Community Policing & Neighborhood Crime Statistics | CrimeReports.com includes sexual offenders and other types of crime. Some other threads here discussing statistical tools and crime rates you can check.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,013 times
Default Realtor naples area

There is a realtor named Dennie Macdonald (sunshine realty I think) that works in Marco Island that deals with foreclosures and short sales. He find a fantastic deal for my friend and saved her $40000 and is a nice condo. I'm in an area of East Naples called Reflection Lakes just east of Collier (951) and it is a real nice quiet subdivision. There are some homes that have been on the market for awhile that are brand new. Naples is definetly a seasonal area and traffic is day and night from winter to summer. Naples Manor and areas by the Botanical Garden I would avoid. Golden Gate is quite rural and I find it difficult to navigate via gps because of creeks and some uncompleted roads. They have had some issues with wildlife being more active. Golden Gate city, I agree, to proceed with caution there. Wherever you go, a rule of thumb I found was the lower the association or condo dues, the higher the taxes. Consider your monthly costs in with your mortgage and utilities. Also Golden Gate estates is well and septic, and Golden Gate city has city water.

Tell Dennis Elke sent you if you use him. He is real easy going and very helpful. All went smooth on her foreclosure closing. I bought a short sale and it took longer. Also plenty of places to rent. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,282,504 times
The fees are important to check. You will most likely pay more for insurance, especially HO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples