Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 56,378 times

Advertisements

Background: I am considering a move to Naples and will work in a restaurant there that on average has a very affluent, age 50+ clientele.

Previous: A few posters noted in some other threads that the rich folks in Naples are down right rude and it has to be seen to be believed.

Question: Is this a gross generalization or am I in for a shock??
...can someone give me examples of how rich people in Naples are rude (or ruder than any other people in general) Is there a particular thing about that area that makes people feel that they are better than others? Is it the city culture or what? Cuz not all rich people are rude. And not all poor people are polite. What makes this area different? Or maybe the posters meant, it was more because I will work in the hospitality industry?? Is there no hospitality to be had in Naples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Where are you from currently and I can better answer your question because someone from NYC or Northern NJ would find things here to be Status Quo. Naples is more of the same, but more of a Deep Dish Pizza thing going on.

Depending on your experience and where you come from, you may find the attitudes to be acceptable.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 56,378 times
I'm from Philly originally, but spent the last 12 years in Virginia Beach and Raleigh Durham.

I'm basically wondering if I will be running around comp'ing meals and getting my butt chewed nightly or what. Our restaurant will be serving items in a very reasonable price range, everything made fresh daily, seafood/chicken/steak $9-17 for really nice portions, however at Waterside, which has affluent shoppers.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
I don't think you will have any problems, it's typically the $35+ with steak tata and caviar places that draw the Leona Helmsley types.

You just need to have a Gordon Ramsay attitude with them if they don't like the food lol.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattegato View Post
Background: I am considering a move to Naples and will work in a restaurant there that on average has a very affluent, age 50+ clientele.

Previous: A few posters noted in some other threads that the rich folks in Naples are down right rude and it has to be seen to be believed.

Question: Is this a gross generalization or am I in for a shock??
...can someone give me examples of how rich people in Naples are rude (or ruder than any other people in general) Is there a particular thing about that area that makes people feel that they are better than others? Is it the city culture or what? Cuz not all rich people are rude. And not all poor people are polite. What makes this area different? Or maybe the posters meant, it was more because I will work in the hospitality industry?? Is there no hospitality to be had in Naples?
Naples has the noveau rich. They lack class among other things. Very much the attitude of "the shiner & bigger the better". Tacky.

And then it has the tourists who are pretending they are rich as they max out their credit cards & have no way to pay them off.

And the retirees.

You are always going to run into attitude. If you like that line of work & will move for a job in that line of work, just be prepared for the good days & bad days as there is in life no matter where you live.

Good luck.

Last edited by 121804; 03-09-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Yes, I lived in Naples and it is full of rude, snobby people. I never liked Naples, of all the places in Florida I lived, it was the very least favorite place I was in. 121804 is right, they like to drive thier Aston Martins, jags, and push you off the road because THEY OWN IT. As far as the high falutin' restaurants go, I would not know, because I wouldn't go to one, why pay $40 a plate for a meal I can make myself, I would rather go to Dennys and eat with the rest of us commoners....LOL...

Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 13,917 times
Smile Should my family relocate ?

My husband was offered a job in Ft. Myers. We have 2 kids (ages 5 & 6), cat and dog. We are very happy now in Setauket, Long Island, in most ways except for my husband's job. His working hours are horrible, for 4-7 weeks, four times a year he works 16 hour days, including weekends. During this time, I feel like a single parent. From an objective 3rd party, the job in Ft. Myers will mostly entail working 8-4 or 9-5, for the same money. My father has rented in Naples for 4 years and thought we would like Naples better than Ft. Myers, and heard that some of the schools are better there as well. It seemed like a no-brainer to relocate, but I have noticed on these forums that many people are very unhappy with Naples, especially for children. Can anyone give their experiences with this area, in terms of quality of schools and family life. When we visited, there were certainly lots of retired persons, but we were directed to some gated communities that have many families. The obvious downside to me is there are no back yards, and we are coming from a big beautiful home on 3/4 acre in a safe neighborhood with good schools. Though it's not the only job he could ever land, a bird in hand is worth two in th bush, and the company is known for work/life balance. Any advice on relocation or suggestions as to how to make it work for us ?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

My daughter went to Naples Park Elementary, and it was a very good school. I don't think the schools are bad there. I think Naples is WAY overpriced, and also way , way, way overrated.(NO offense Tarastomsgirl) I see no reason that Naples is better than any other city here in FL. I would live in Estero before I lived in Naples. Bonita springs is ok(half of it). Fort Myers has many undesirable areas. I am in Cape Coral. There are a few streets in the cape I would not live on.

Gated communities mean nothing here. I worked and lived at a gated property in Bonita that was hit one night by a mexican gang from Immokolee, 8 cars stolen, 23 broken into. The gates meant nothing to them, all it did was attract them to the place, of course when you see dodge Vipers, corvettes, cadillacs, lexus', and every other high class car it makes them want to steal and rob.

Check out estero. Or Cape Coral, here we have a nice yard, nice house. VERY quiet neighborhood. And my daughter is in an "A" school...

Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
I think people are nicer in Philly, Va Beach and Raleigh Durham than Naples in general. That's not saying all people are rude here in Naples, not at all. Many are nice but it's the instances of rudeness that stand out whether being cut off while driving or pushiness elsewhere.

And yes I have noticed it more in the wealthier areas near the beach than elsewhere. I dunno why but Mercedes drivers seems ruder than most, followed by Escalades.
I have also noticed that some older people (70's-80's) here tend to be self-centered and me-first, almost child-like. I try to make allowances. I know some people will think I'm being bigoted in these remarks but I'm relating what I have experienced.

Don't worry about moving to Naples. You will love it. It's low-crime, beautiful beaches and city. Lovely shopping and restaurants. I'm sure everyone would rather having someone be rude to them than experience crime no matter how small.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Just stay out of the southeast Naples area... NOT a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples