Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksm View Post
I grew up in Clearwater and have lived all over this country. I always loved Naples and I would love to pick up a condo down there. But living 3000 miles away wouldn't make for a quick get-away. So I'm snooping around the Palm Desert area in Cali as it makes more sense. I can be there in 2.5 hrs and I love the desert. Some thoughts about some of the common gripes I've been reading on this forum:

1. Weather: I'll take 2.5 months of muggy heat and 9 months of beautiful, tropical (sub-tropical I believe) weather anyday over the 8 months of gray, wet crap we get here in Seattle. It's like living in a moldy cave.

2. Traffic: Avg bad in Naples but not that bad. We're the 3rd worst in the country so almost anywhere would be an improvement for me.

3. Old people: I'm not too old.... (40's) but I like the elderly. They aren't the ones committing the crimes, or causing trouble. They are generally nice, law abiding citizens who pay their taxes and mortgages. They play a vital role in keeing the economy going by spending thier retirement dollars. Sure, most suck at driving but big deal. As long as they don't hit you!

4. Rude Rich people: Be glad for the rich people. They support the arts and communities in the area. Generally where there are rich people, there are better police and fire depts and overall general security. And if they are rude, . Don't be intimdated and hand it back to them and move on. There are rude people everywhere.

5. Boring, nothing to do: Maybe for a 20 something single seeking the nightclub scene. Sure, if I was 20 again, Ft lauderdale is where I'd go. But for me Naples has the beach, diving, fishing, golfing, boating. You're a straight shot over the east coast if you want to get into that scene and really not that far from the Keys.

6. Crime: Not sure what its like now but crime in Florida has always bothered me. Where I live the bad areas are separated by counties and many miles. Florida, it feels like its all around you and the good/bad areas are closely intermixed throughout the state.

Sorry for the long post. Hope to be back in the Sunshine state again someday!!
Its hardly 2.5 months. Its been in the 90's since April or may.. Todays heat index was 96.. Currently at 5pm its 93 with 84% humidity.. summers heat index will be triple digits, by summer I mean June till sometimes Sept. By beautiful do you mean 85 on Christmas? You usually don't turn off the A/C till about Jan here SOMETIMES we get an odd winter where its cooler a little ealier but I wore a tank top the last 2 X-mas

We do have pretty bad traffic in season. Don't be surprised to sit through 3 or more red lights on a rush hour day. Its become harder to tell when season is vs. when season isn't with the traffic.

We had 3 murders in a week here about 3 weeks ago or so then the ice cream shop was robbed with a sub machine gun.. Our crime rate is up, especially violent crimes. Ft. Myers just had their 20th murder of the year Naples is NOTHING like it was in years past. Its becoming over crowded and over rated. My husband works for the sheriffs here. LOTS of break-ins drive bys as of late. We also have a lot of sexual predators, lots of registers sex offenders.

I suppose as long as you don't have kids you'll have an easier time justifying it, myself though wouldn't dream of raising my kid here. We're out by May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
This is our third year spending a good part of the year in Naples and I still love it. I love the heat (instead of cold). I love the weather even when it rains every day. I don't mind running the air (must better then having the heater running). I have no problem with the traffic. Never close to as bad as it is in Jersey all the time.

Love it or leave it..... I am staying!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM

112 posts, read 308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
This is our third year spending a good part of the year in Naples and I still love it. I love the heat (instead of cold). I love the weather even when it rains every day. I don't mind running the air (must better then having the heater running). I have no problem with the traffic. Never close to as bad as it is in Jersey all the time.

Love it or leave it..... I am staying!

Since I am moving from NJ to Naples next month, I read this three times. Thanks.

Maggie

Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 PM

47 posts, read 154,062 times
I am working on leaving Naples for the Seattle area, I can't wait to leave here. Naples is very artificial, from the landscape to the people. I can't stand the heat, bugs, seasonal increase of rudeness and terrible drivers.

Love it or leave it.....I'm leaving.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra1981 View Post
I am working on leaving Naples for the Seattle area, I can't wait to leave here. Naples is very artificial, from the landscape to the people. I can't stand the heat, bugs, seasonal increase of rudeness and terrible drivers.

Love it or leave it.....I'm leaving.
2 1/2 more years for me.......

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM

"Different stokes for differnt folks......". We may have arrived here from outer space, but from different planets!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
"Different stokes for differnt folks......". We may have arrived here from outer space, but from different planets!
Unfortunately, my job might as well be on another planet. I'm dreading the commute this season.

It's already noticeably worse, and it's still October.

Heck, it's already getting bad around town, too.

I almost got creamed on the drive home from Comcast (the 2 week old "Comcastic" DVR is not working right..... again) by a moron (making a right on red) that stopped, looked right at me, waited about 5 seconds, and then went (there wasn't room).

Not to mention the maddening "parade" driving styles that make it damn near impossible to change lanes because they drive right next to each other, well below the limit. Add in the ever present lane change (without looking) maneuver, and it makes driving around here like doing battle.

It's even worse on the bicycle. I almost t-boned a lady (I had right of way) that MADE EYE CONTACT with me, waited until I was about to pass in front of her, and then pulled out in front of me. I'm gonna have to start riding late at night again.... The drunks and texters are more predictable than the snowbirds.

Oh, and I didn't even get the DVR box changed out, because I refuse to wait 45 minutes to an hour.... Again.....

2 1/2 more years.............

Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM

47 posts, read 154,062 times
Tripower455,

You pretty much nailed it, it's amazing how clueless these drivers are. Since this is a Seattle ---> Naples thread, I must say that I've driven in Seattle (I-5) and neighboring areas a few times. Yes, it does get congested BUT, drivers there see you, they know you're there. When you need to change lanes, they let you in, the traffic is heavy but it moves along. I thought it was just a coincidence, but it was smooth everytime. Here, they don't see your indication to move into their lane, at traffic lights, they leave so much space between cars that you could fit 2 or 3 more cars. They pull out into your lane, travel half way between the right lane and the bike lane...unbelievable.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Tripower55:

Two Comcast tips - Take back the DVR and get a Tivo Premiere ($130 from Amazon, although depending on your home network setup you might want to add a wireless adaptor or a MOCA adaptor). Much, much better than any DVR Comcast will give you! Oh yeah, you need to get an "M" cable card from Comcast to stick in the back of the Tivo.
Also, try to hit Comcast before 9 in the morning. I went there (Livingston and Pine Ridge) Tuesday to pick up my cable card and the place was empty (to my shock and supprise).

Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Tripower55:

Two Comcast tips - Take back the DVR and get a Tivo Premiere ($130 from Amazon, although depending on your home network setup you might want to add a wireless adaptor or a MOCA adaptor). Much, much better than any DVR Comcast will give you! Oh yeah, you need to get an "M" cable card from Comcast to stick in the back of the Tivo.
Also, try to hit Comcast before 9 in the morning. I went there (Livingston and Pine Ridge) Tuesday to pick up my cable card and the place was empty (to my shock and supprise).
I went back this afternoon and the wait was about 20 minutes. I got the thing changed out.

As a die hard "PM" kind of guy (I routinely get home from work at 2-4AM), I'd rather wait 20 minutes at 3:00 PM than even think about getting up in time to be there at 9:00!

Thanks for the Tivo tip, but as I was "activating" the new, new cable box (the one I just returned was 2 weeks old) for the second time, I decided that I am done with Comcast. The next time I have to deal with this, I think I'm just gonna go back to Direct TV.

We switched to cable years ago so my wife could get the Tennis channel (not offered on DTV at the time). When it was Time Warner (the first few years), we never had any issues. In the aftermath of Charlie, the ONLY utility in the house that worked was TW cable. We were watching TV and surfing the net via TW cable and my generator. Since Comcast took over, the service has gone way down hill. Frequent outages for no apparent reasons, and continuous trouble with the equipment. We must've had 10 cable boxes (and at least 4 modems) replaced since the switch over from TW. Heck, I'm beginning to know the cable guys by first name......

The cost of Comcast is outrageous to begin with, even if it worked like it was supposed to. The fact that there are constant issues with it, make it even more aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples