U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 AM

181 posts, read 420,828 times

Advertisements

I will have about 2 days to travel from Maimi to Punta Gorda and would like to get to know the areas inbetween somewhat better.

Are there any interesting shopping, beaches or city life places you can recommend I visit en route to Punta Gorda?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 AM

256 posts, read 684,494 times
It's a morning drive from Miami to Punta Gorda. If you take the alley, there's not much to see except swamp. If you'd like to go a little slower, take hwy 41 from miami to Naples.

There's many places to see a bit of nature and several places to stop and do tourist things. Check out the Everglades City Hotel Lodging and Restaurant - Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City for lunch.

When you come into Naples on Hwy 41, where it turns North, go straight down 5th Avenue. You're nine blocks from the beach and in the heart of Naples. Check out the pier, 3rd St South and cruise Gordon Drive S to the end, look at a little Naples architecture.

If you are looking for a little more beach party, go N on 41 to bonita beach road and turn left. That will take you to Ft Myers Beach. Most of the tourists and the party are on the N end.

Have fun drive safe

Hope this helps you

Beth

Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 AM

592 posts, read 1,675,893 times
Excellent post above me here ^^^ by "Beth". I couldn't have said it better myself. If you do your trip according to that advice it will be a loooong day, but by the end of it your head will be filled with beautiful scenes of FL, both natural and man-made.

If I were you, however, after seeing Ft. Myers beach I would probably head back to I75 to finish your trip to Punta Gorda because staying on Rte 41 will probably take a lot longer. There are traffic lights and you'll go through more towns (North Ft. Myers, past Cape Coral, Port Charlotte) before you arrive in Punta Gorda.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,331,096 times
For shopping try Tin City Waterfront Shops in Naples, 1200 5th Ave off of Tamiami Trail. It has an old Florida charm and historic feel. There are over 30 shops and 2 restaurants. Another place that might be of interest is The Shell Factory in North Ft. Myers, 2787 North Tamiami Trail (Rt 41). It has the world's largest collection of sea shells. It also has a Christmas shop, Subway, select a pearl, a fun park, a nature park, a restaurant, and dancing waters in the evening.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks to you all...

Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 AM

Is there any 'must see' in Cape Coral?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:09 AM

3,634 posts, read 6,331,342 times
the road out ??

Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 AM

592 posts, read 1,675,893 times
Cape Coral? No. But, you could go through it to Matlacha, which is a quaint fishing/art village with casual waterfront restaurants. There's also the side trip of Sanibel, which is west of Ft. Myers in the Gulf.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 PM

256 posts, read 684,494 times
If you decide to go to Matlacha and you're a fisherman. Check out the Tarpon Lodge on Pine Island. It's a 5 star restaurant with an incredible menu. It's where they caught the first tarpon on a fishing rod.
You can take their launch over to Cabbage Key and Cayo Costa.
If you're a Randy White fan, he lives across the street from Tarpon Lodge.

Cayo Costa is a barrier island state park. Cabbage key is a great resort.

Have Fun

Beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples