Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,862 times

Advertisements

Hi, new to forums and looking for some feedback on my relocation down to Naples. I have a job lined up in the hospitality industry in Naples that starts in August and have been reading up on the community and area in general. Just few questions about some apartments I've researched. Planning on heading down to check them out and the area in general during middle of July. Some apartment complexs that I'm seriously looking at:
-Naples 701
-Meadow Lakes
-Windsong Club
-Waverly Place
-Whistler Cove
-Summer Wind

I'm late 20s moving from up north (New England) but have vacationed in Florida for many years so weather shouldn't be problem. I know that Naples is known for retired rich but other than that, any other community features and descriptions that come to mind. I'm low key and love the ocean so lack of nightlife is not a buzzkill. I've noticed gas prices are lower than up north; how's grocery bills? taxes? water bills? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:09 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
I don't want to be a buzzkill, but here goes...

All apartment complexes in Naples are ghetto, some more than others.

Naples 701 changed its name from Cricket Lake when they went condo. It is in an undesirable part of town, although it is improving. Their website lists condos starting at $59,900, which is unheard of in Naples. There is a reason for that.

Meadow Lakes-ghetto

Windsong Club- so-so. Directly on Immoaklee Road which has tons of traffic.

Waverly Place and Whistler's Cove-Both in Golden Gate City. Ghetto.

Sumnmerwind-On Pine Ridge Road which is busy but this is a convenient location. They are also so-so. I would pick this one if I was forced to choose from your list.

I would consider renting a private condo if I were you.

Where will you be working? The commute can be a killer in the wintertime. I would factor this into your selection.

I've lived here so long I can't really compare prices for you. I will state that Naples usually has high gas prices because they charge the maximum local option gas tax.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 AM

340 posts, read 1,045,929 times
Dead on correct with the apt. info,
Look for a condo to rent if you can, or a house you could split or share with someone.
most of the places you mentioned are very small in size, if you have a king bed or a large entertainment center they will not fit.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM

16 posts, read 50,017 times
River Reach and Wild Pines are very affordable, convenient, in the middle of town, and not "ghetto" - just working class. What's wrong with that? Working people? Sheesh. You won't find much entertainment, but the Mercato area is where young people chill. Lot of snobbery in this town, be warned.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM

57 posts, read 111,654 times
just about all those apt complexes are ghetto or section 8 housing

if the apartemnts are under $900 they're ghetto pretty much or section 8 housing. U can try The Oasis they're okay if you must have an apartment but u'd be better renting a condo or a house.. don't expect to probably pay under $900 for anything halfway decent at all. Its not like New England down here. In New England I rented an entire cape house for $850.. down here that'll get u a so so one bedroom apt.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflchick View Post
River Reach and Wild Pines are very affordable, convenient, in the middle of town, and not "ghetto" - just working class. What's wrong with that? Working people? Sheesh. You won't find much entertainment, but the Mercato area is where young people chill. Lot of snobbery in this town, be warned.
I'm starting to think that everyone of these posters that say blanket statements like "every apartment in Naples is ghetto" is an old person who is too used to paying someone else to mow and manicure their lawn.

It's really not that bad, people. Jeez.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
There are a couple apartment complexes along Airport Road in North Naples I see when I ride my bike to Lowes/Costco. They look ok to me.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:16 PM

57 posts, read 111,654 times
No I'm not old, rich or have people mow my lawn but I've lived here long enough to see what a nice apt complex looks like and a "ghetto" / dirty one looks like... Waverly Place, Whistlers Cove and Windsong are section 8.Tuscan Isle is another last year a teenager was stabbed and killed in the parking lot. Brittany Bay is another, the kid was shot and killed. Those are all within the price ranges you are looking and are all Section 8. Waverly place and Whistlers Cove frequently have police patrols and numerous calls to the police made from them.. IMO North Naples would be the best bet to get something decent and nice..or maybe Kings Lake in East Naples. You can try Positano (sp?) place is not bad either...

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I'm starting to think that everyone of these posters that say blanket statements like "every apartment in Naples is ghetto" is an old person who is too used to paying someone else to mow and manicure their lawn.

It's really not that bad, people. Jeez.
I'm one of those people who says apartments in Naples are ghetto-some worse than others. I am under 50 and mow my own lawn.

Why do I say that? Because, in my opinion, it is true.

How can I say that? Because I have been to every single one. My job takes me there.

OTOH I give swflchick credit since she lived in Wild Pines and has the perspective having actually lived there. I would never suggest anyone move there (or River Reach either).

Fingerprint_me is right on target.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,729 times
Hey was just researching Naples myself because I'm in the same boat and came across your posting. Just got a job down there which also starts in August. I also will be moving down from New England, grew up in RI, went to school and have been working in NH the past two years. Was planning on getting a cheap 1 bdrm apartment for myself but it sounds like it would be easier to get a nicer spot with a roommate. Not sure if you were considering having a roommate but if you are I would be willing to try and make something work. I'm in my mid twenties, will be working for the Florida Forest Service and will be trying to get accustomed to living in Florida. Figured it may be easier to live with someone who was also coming down from New England. Let me know if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples