U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM

320 posts, read 1,048,245 times

Advertisements

Yeah, make sure you find a job first.

There are young people here too. There are a few colleges (FGCU, Ave Maria, etc.) that bring them here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,782,443 times
Erin,

You sound very independent and open-minded, willing to explore your dreams. I give you many accolades for that, but being from a different generation, I do not understand your logic. You are moving to an area devoid of many jobs and of true opportunity. Not sure what your degree is in, but I cannot help but think that bar tending and/or Starbucks will not expand your experience base (making you more appealing to a future employer). You are no longer 17 years old looking to a bountiful future, but you are not middle age either. When will you feel that it will be important enough that your career takes a higher priority than the club scene and/or the weather? There will soon be a time that you may need to make enough money independently to pay those medical bills, buy a decent home/vehicle, and/or save for your retirement (in beautiful Naples?). Sorry to be so blunt, but your greatest challenge as a 30 year old adult needs to shift beyond the immediate gratification to long-term commitment to your future. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM
miu

17,616 posts, read 36,616,701 times
My boyfriend grew up in Naples, and for the last seven years, he's been up in Boston, MA with me. I've gone down to Naples several times over the years with him to attend family events. This weekend he's back in Naples for a wedding. My boyfriend turns 30 at the end of June.

Our thoughts on Naples and Florida... it's extremely hot and humid in the summertime. Over the years, the rush hour traffic gridlock has gotten much worse. Maybe it's because the traffic lights aren't timed well. The job market is very challenging. One sister is a lawyer and does well, however her husband in the mortgage business was out of work for two years. The other sister teaches, but is going back to school. Her husband is an architect major who couldn't find work, then went into real estate sales and has sold only one house this last year, albeit an expensive one. But his family has money so I guess my boyfriend's sister has no worries. Of my boyfriend's friends, one still lives in Naples but works in Ft. Myers as a mechanic, the rest of his buddies have moved out of state to places like NC and Washington, DC.

And I know one family that moved to Boca Raton on the wife's insistence. I guess she thought that it would be glamorous and exciting to live in Boca instead of Wellesley, MA. But every summer, they escape the heat and stay with family in New Jersey.

I don't think that we will ever move to Naples. I know that my boyfriend doesn't miss it at all. He loves the live music scene in Boston and the quality of the museums. He doesn't miss the hot summer weather of Florida.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My boyfriend grew up in Naples, and for the last seven years, he's been up in Boston, MA with me. I've gone down to Naples several times over the years with him to attend family events. This weekend he's back in Naples for a wedding. My boyfriend turns 30 at the end of June.

Our thoughts on Naples and Florida... it's extremely hot and humid in the summertime. Over the years, the rush hour traffic gridlock has gotten much worse. Maybe it's because the traffic lights aren't timed well. The job market is very challenging. One sister is a lawyer and does well, however her husband in the mortgage business was out of work for two years. The other sister teaches, but is going back to school. Her husband is an architect major who couldn't find work, then went into real estate sales and has sold only one house this last year, albeit an expensive one. But his family has money so I guess my boyfriend's sister has no worries. Of my boyfriend's friends, one still lives in Naples but works in Ft. Myers as a mechanic, the rest of his buddies have moved out of state to places like NC and Washington, DC.

And I know one family that moved to Boca Raton on the wife's insistence. I guess she thought that it would be glamorous and exciting to live in Boca instead of Wellesley, MA. But every summer, they escape the heat and stay with family in New Jersey.

I don't think that we will ever move to Naples. I know that my boyfriend doesn't miss it at all. He loves the live music scene in Boston and the quality of the museums. He doesn't miss the hot summer weather of Florida.
Yes, we have hot summers but it sure beats the cold winters of Boston and NJ.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
Yes, we have hot summers but it sure beats the cold winters of Boston and NJ.
Actually.... no. My boyfriend came home yesterday from the wedding and he announced that he much prefers a MA winter to a FL or even NC summer. He likes being outside, and hates having to stay inside air conditioned buildings in order to feel comfortable. He doesn't like the FL heat which is humid and very oppressive to the body. He doesn't want to have to surround himself in an air conditioned bubble. He said that at least when it's cold, it's no big deal to bundle up appropriately and be happy outside. And we really don't have too many days of severe cold or snowstorms. But in FL, every day in the summertime is hot and humid.

And our dogs love playing in the snow!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Erin,

You sound very independent and open-minded, willing to explore your dreams. I give you many accolades for that, but being from a different generation, I do not understand your logic. You are moving to an area devoid of many jobs and of true opportunity. Not sure what your degree is in, but I cannot help but think that bar tending and/or Starbucks will not expand your experience base (making you more appealing to a future employer). You are no longer 17 years old looking to a bountiful future, but you are not middle age either. When will you feel that it will be important enough that your career takes a higher priority than the club scene and/or the weather? There will soon be a time that you may need to make enough money independently to pay those medical bills, buy a decent home/vehicle, and/or save for your retirement (in beautiful Naples?). Sorry to be so blunt, but your greatest challenge as a 30 year old adult needs to shift beyond the immediate gratification to long-term commitment to your future. Good luck!
^^^ These are all really good points. My boyfriend left Naples to find a career. There were no good opportunities for him there.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM

103 posts, read 402,379 times
miu- fortunately people find comfort and beauty in very different things in life, or we'd really be in trouble. There is a climate to suit everyone!

And as jobs in Naples go...there are many good ones. Naples isn't the only place with a troubled job market... that's all I hear about in the news...the situation is unstable everywhere. So I would say that no matter where a person is thinking of moving to, this should be a concern. THis is not just a Naples issue.

And to add to that-there hasn't been a better time to buy a home in Naples in years. Housing prices are quite affordable now. And fortunately with our homestead exemption, our property taxes are affordable!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM

5,359 posts, read 4,976,986 times
I face the same dilemma as the OP. I may move there for a job, albeit a money management job with an international bank. However, I'm 42 and worried that I won't find someone there to settle down with. I want that so much. I went through a divorce 2 years ago which crushed me and now wonder if I'll have the chance to have a family. Anyway, it sounds like a very dull place. I grew up in West Palm, and while I wouldn't want to go there, it might be more desirable than Naples. I also love Tampa, but the job isn't there. I have to go where the job is, as I'm unemployed. Such a hard decision.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 PM

693 posts, read 1,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually.... no. My boyfriend came home yesterday from the wedding and he announced that he much prefers a MA winter to a FL or even NC summer. He likes being outside, and hates having to stay inside air conditioned buildings in order to feel comfortable. He doesn't like the FL heat which is humid and very oppressive to the body. He doesn't want to have to surround himself in an air conditioned bubble. He said that at least when it's cold, it's no big deal to bundle up appropriately and be happy outside. And we really don't have too many days of severe cold or snowstorms. But in FL, every day in the summertime is hot and humid.

And our dogs love playing in the snow!
I have lived in both Connecticut (about an hour and a half from Boston) and the Naples area for about 8 years each. I just spent the past year in Connecticut, but have fortunately made my way back to Florida. Anyways, I spent last summer and winter up there. There is no way you can honestly tell me there aren't many severely cold days or snowstorms in Boston. This past winter we got absolutely destroyed with snow, not to mention there were days where the windchill up in Boston was well below -10. I would also like to point out the heat wave we had last summer, it was like 95 for 2 weeks straight, in which there were 3 straight days of 100 degrees, one of those days it got to 103 in Hartford, CT. It's never gotten that hot in Naples, since they started keeping records in the early 1900's. It's just as hot and humid for the majority of the summer in Boston as it is anywhere in South Florida. Yes it gets hot in Florida for basically 4 months straight, but after that first year, you get used to it. Get a place with a pool and spend some time on the some of the best beaches the country has to offer where there's a nice breeze and you're fine. At least when it's hot you aren't literally trapped in your house without power, because there is 3 feet of snow covering the roads like up North.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
I have lived in both Connecticut (about an hour and a half from Boston) and the Naples area for about 8 years each. I just spent the past year in Connecticut, but have fortunately made my way back to Florida. Anyways, I spent last summer and winter up there. There is no way you can honestly tell me there aren't many severely cold days or snowstorms in Boston. This past winter we got absolutely destroyed with snow, not to mention there were days where the windchill up in Boston was well below -10. I would also like to point out the heat wave we had last summer, it was like 95 for 2 weeks straight, in which there were 3 straight days of 100 degrees, one of those days it got to 103 in Hartford, CT. It's never gotten that hot in Naples, since they started keeping records in the early 1900's. It's just as hot and humid for the majority of the summer in Boston as it is anywhere in South Florida. Yes it gets hot in Florida for basically 4 months straight, but after that first year, you get used to it. Get a place with a pool and spend some time on the some of the best beaches the country has to offer where there's a nice breeze and you're fine. At least when it's hot you aren't literally trapped in your house without power, because there is 3 feet of snow covering the roads like up North.
:goodposting:

And besides, when it's sunny and in the 90's, you can still be outside enjoying the weather. You just need to dress down and drink plenty of fluids. Sunny and 90's is a great beach day or laying out by the pool....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples