Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 AM

152 posts, read 451,112 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are contemplating moving here this is my evaluation of the area. I moved here several months ago after searching Naples for a home for a few years. I watched the real estate market fall, and now the values here are excellent.

In Golden Gate Estates there are very small homes, and there are very large beautiful homes, and sometimes they are right next door to each other. You can get an almost 2,000 sq ft home for as little as $100,000. It just depends on what you are looking for. There are older homes. There are new homes. There are homes on large lots--most have at least an acre, and lots are usually very narrow, but deep. There are million dollar homes. There is something for everyone. The farther out you go from the beach the less expensive the homes become. The farther out you go the newer the houses are, however there are exceptions to that.

Are there wild animals and bugs? Yes! I haven't seen any wild animals except for a raccoon, a black racer snake, some lizards, and a few frogs. I've heard there are bears, wild boars, and panthers. I've been told that the bears will get in the trash in the summer. I've seen lots of bugs, and have started spraying. My lot is very wooded. I have put out bird feeders, and seen many cardinals, wood peckers, and blue jays. Although there are many canals in Golden Gate Estates, I do not live near one. I do not see water birds around my home.

Many of the properties are wooded lots, and many people like it that way. They enjoy the natural beauty, and the nature that comes with it. There are also many lots that have been cleared of all trees and bushes. Farther north of Golden Gate Blvd seems less wooded, where as the southern areas are more wooded. Closer into Collier Blvd is also less wooded as these homes have some age on them, and residents have had years to clear the land.

The busy roads are Golden Gate Blvd, Everglades Blvd, Wilson Blvd, Randall Blvd and Desoto, Blvd. The numbered streets are usually dead ends. The numbered avenues run east/west as a rule, and the numbered streets run north/south. At Golden Gate Blvd and Wilson Blvd there are two small groceries with one having a food court, and there is a Walgreens as well as a few other small stores. There is a proposal for another shopping center in that area, but it will be awhile before it is developed. There is a public library not too far from that area. The nearest large Publix grocery is on Collier Blvd and Pine Ridge Rd.

The area appears safe with the exception of some looting of long vacant homes. There are short sales and foreclosures that are vacant, and subject to those problems. Most of these distressed properties do sell fairly quick.

The people seem generally friendly. I have seen all age groups, and especially families with school age children. There are a number of elementary schools in the area. As one drives along Golden Gate Blvd you will see bicycle racks with bikes where children leave their bikes, and board the school bus. Many of the numbered streets are long, and since they are dead ends mostly, school buses do not go down them. Sometimes parents will wait in their cars at the intersection for their children to get off the bus. I've also seen parents on golf carts waiting.

I doubt if there are many code regulations. People have livestock of all kinds. I have seen chickens, cows, horses, goats, sheep, and llamas. There are no HOAs. If someone has junk they want to get rid of, they leave it in their driveway at the street. It may be taken, if someone finds it useful. I have seen several couches this week. Some people keep very nice yards while others let their grass grow wild.

As for services Century Link, Comcast, FPL, and Direct TV are available to name a few. Everyone that I know of has well water. The water can vary from area to area, so you may want to explore this more before investing in real estate.

I like the wilderness of GGE, but I feel like I live in a suburb. It's nice to live without so many restrictions or fees. Even though I'm far out it's an easy drive to 41 or the beach. It's quality life at it's best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM

100 posts, read 302,615 times
Wonderful, thank you so much for sharing that! When you say the water varies from area to area, could you elaborate? What should we be looking for? Thank you

Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM

The area has well water. I have heard that some areas north of Golden Gate Blvd do not have water as good as the south area. The water may have more sulfur than other areas. The water table can also make a difference. When water tables are low you can smell the sulfur. I looked at one house where that was the case. You can have the water tested. You can also put reverse osmosis on your system.

As far as housing goes I have noticed that since the end of last year, we do not see as many foreclosures. When the banks got in all that trouble with the MERS mess the banks have been more careful with putting foreclosures on the market. They use to dump a bunch on the market at once where as now they seem to trickle slowly to the market. Now, sales inventory has gotten smaller. Prices maybe going up somewhat. I would say that now is a great time to buy especially now that season is over.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
I have heard of the sulfur issue in Lee county also.

The animal thing is very interesting. I wonder what the zoning is.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM

The zoning could be agriculture. There are lots as small as an acre with more than one cow, so I know that livestock is accepted as the norm here.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Cool. Maybe the county site might have more info. The county sites aren't the easiest to use sometimes.

Collier seems to have higher taxes, though. My concern especially after seeing how things went ballistic several yrs ago. They seem to have no problem jacking rates up. The millage I find abit unclear.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,616 times
I totally agress with you.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,498 times
Hello Neighbor! Your description is very clear and is very similar to my finding and observation of GGE so far also. My family just purchased a home in golden gate estate (east and slightly south) also and love the natural quiet dead end street. There is no flooding - water gets soak up right away after even heavy rain. We are new to well system and are planning to get water filtration install at facets for drinking. The water gets a little yellow and with sediment if your pump has been off for more than a week.

I'm still trying to set up internet and phone. As for wildlife- We did see 2 deer and rabbits in our yard. One of the reason for us to move to GGE is to keep Chicken and grow our own greenhouse garden. Although the mosquito is a killer- not unexpected since its so wooded. Another insect that can get annoying is the ant (careful of the ant hills)- they bite and hurts!

+1 rep for you.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Thank you. Rabbits I have not seen yet, but hope to soon. I saw two deer the other day, and a bear walked through my yard after smelling the breakfast I had cooked. He was so cute!

There is a good product for ants called Amdro. It is a product that you spread around the ant hills. The workers take the stuff into the hill, and they all die. It works great.

I have heard planes fly over twice to spray for mosquitoes in the last few months. It's usually after midnight. With so much rain lately it's hard to keep them at bay.

As for wells whole house reverse osmosis is wonderful although rather expensive. The water is so pure.

The air is so clean in GGE. There is very little pollution.

It looks like the new shopping center at Wilson Blvd may be a reality as well.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM

256 posts, read 745,556 times
Here's a little secret regarding Amdro for fire ants. Don't pile it around the mound. spread it out evenly across the yard. They'll abandon the nest and move if you just put it around the mound, they need to find it and bring it back to the nest in little bits.

That way your whole yard will be free of them.

Look for marsh rabbits early in the morning. Sometimes going across the alley you'll hundreds of them eating grass in the ditch next to the swamp.

Beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples