U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 AM

4 posts, read 26,819 times

Advertisements

We are planning to finally move back to Florida. I used to live in Ft Lauderdale, but I have always had a soft spot for the gulf coast. After the recent passing of a dear friend who had moved to Bonita Springs years ago, we decided it was time to make our dream a reality. We are starting a family, so we are looking for a safe area with good schools. I would say that safety is the most important factor to us and would ideally like to be in a gated community, since it will not be our full time residence at first. For the next few years we will be living between DC and FL.

Could anyone please offer any insight in Naples vs Bonita Springs (or another area)? Ideally we would like to be as close to the beach as possible while still remaining in a safe, friendly environment with good restaurants. I know this is a broad request for info, but I know there is someone out there who can help me.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,857 posts, read 6,014,605 times
We considered both. We settled for a place in N. Naples. I am far from being an expert on Bonita Springs, but it does look nice. However I believe there is more of a range of housing options in the Naples area and, from what I know, I perfer Collier to Lee county. I would say that if you can find housing in either place that suits your needs, you won't be making a mistake.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 26,819 times
That is what I have thought from our limited visits to both areas in the past, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask questions. I do not know much about either Lee or Collier county, although I would say I know a bit more about Collier. One reason for moving to the Gulf Coast vs. the Ft Lauderdale area is a slower more relaxed pace of life. I just hope we can find a place near nice shops and restaurants and not too much of the hustle and bustle we are excited to escape in DC.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,620,683 times
It depends on what you want. I would suggest renting first. You want to make sure you get in an area in which you are comfortable. There are some threads here on costs and crime rates. If you are looking at things on a map, using google map can also help give you an idea what an area looks like.

May want to also consider traffic and travel costs due to the way things are planned out and traffic can get really bad during high tourist season. Collier appears to have an affinity for high cost of living. Though since the bubble popped it is much better.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,604,938 times
Both Naples and Bonita Springs are very nice. Big difference in property taxes between Collier and Lee counties. Look at real estate in both towns, but make sure you compare the taxes.

That's what we did and found Collier county to be more reasonable for comparable properties. We bought in Naples and LOVE IT!

Just one thing to think about. Aside from this, you can't go wrong with either; they're both great! Good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM

340 posts, read 989,460 times
I agree, try North Naples first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples