Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 AM

6 posts, read 13,243 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I've got a few questions about the Naples area. I'm searching for a Tropica/subtropical area to start a small farm of 4-10 acres, which has been an interest of mine for years. I want it to be a small business for me. However, my main business is working on the internet, so I need a place that can get a high speed internet connection at a fair price. I don't think satellite will work.

Searching on the internet turned up some reasonably priced properties on the outskirts of Naples, most in the region of Golden Gate BLVD.

The land looks promising, and I may come down to check it out, but I've got a few questions.

1) Any way to get a decent high speed internet connection near Golden Gate Blvd, on streets such as Immokalee Road, Rock Road off Immokalee, 56th avenue NE. Also: Dove Tree St. in S Naples.

2) Are the properties near Golden Gate BLVD prone to flooding?

3) Are there any agricultural areas that combine reasonable prices with likely access to the internet that you can suggest?

4) Anything you think I should be aware of?

5) Can you tell me about the area I'm talking about in general? Is it all strip malls? Pretty rural? Big problem to get to downtown Naples?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday2006 View Post
Hi.

I've got a few questions about the Naples area. I'm searching for a Tropica/subtropical area to start a small farm of 4-10 acres, which has been an interest of mine for years. I want it to be a small business for me. However, my main business is working on the internet, so I need a place that can get a high speed internet connection at a fair price. I don't think satellite will work.

Searching on the internet turned up some reasonably priced properties on the outskirts of Naples, most in the region of Golden Gate BLVD.

The land looks promising, and I may come down to check it out, but I've got a few questions.

1) Any way to get a decent high speed internet connection near Golden Gate Blvd, on streets such as Immokalee Road, Rock Road off Immokalee, 56th avenue NE. Also: Dove Tree St. in S Naples.

2) Are the properties near Golden Gate BLVD prone to flooding?

3) Are there any agricultural areas that combine reasonable prices with likely access to the internet that you can suggest?

4) Anything you think I should be aware of?

5) Can you tell me about the area I'm talking about in general? Is it all strip malls? Pretty rural? Big problem to get to downtown Naples?

Thanks for your help.
1. Check with Comcast and CenturyLink for those specific areas for internet service. In general there is internet service but there may be pockets like Dove Tree where you might have a problem.

2. Some properties are prone to flooding but not many. You need a survey to determine this. Talk to the neighbors.

3. The only ag area in that part of the county is Corkscrew all the way to Immokalee. I doubt there is cable there on the farm properties. You might get DSL. No idea about prices.

4. Need to be more specific.

5. The area is rural or semi-rural. There is little shopping in GGE. You have to go West. It can be a brutal commute to downtown Naples (5th AV area), especially at rush hour during season.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 AM

256 posts, read 745,420 times
A 4g card in your computer will give you great private access with lots of speed anywhere in the area.

Beth

Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
This is not correct.

Ther is no 4G anywhere in Collier. The card idea is a good one, but the OP needs to pick a provider wisely. Cell service is bad in some parts of GGE and the problem areas vary among the carriers.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM

I apologize. I thought verizon was up and running. I've used their 3g for several years.

Beth

Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 13,243 times
So how much does a 3g connection cost for a computer cost? Is it a flat fee per month or do you have to pay by the amount of data you upload and download?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Mine was $60 a month unlimited but I think that's changed. You can check verizon's website by zip code. It will tell you what they have available. You might use google earth to look at agricultural land here. You can also check with the local agriculture agent.

I would think that the Immokalee corridor would have comcast and cable modem along it. You can check Comcast's website.

Hope that helps you. Good luck in you search.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
You have to check Collier ordinances well. Lot's of rules.

Check comcast, as mentioned on 3G/4G availability also. Not sure you may find it cost effective. Unfortunately, not a lot of options w/ internet anywhere.

If you plan on selling anything agriculture I would be very careful. The new FDA rules have been hitting people all over, even in FL.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You have to check Collier ordinances well. Lot's of rules.

Check comcast, as mentioned on 3G/4G availability also. Not sure you may find it cost effective. Unfortunately, not a lot of options w/ internet anywhere.

If you plan on selling anything agriculture I would be very careful. The new FDA rules have been hitting people all over, even in FL.
Comcast offers cable and wired internet service. Cell phone carriers offer wireless 3G and 4G service for phones and computers. Two completely different animals.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Comcast offers cable and wired internet service. Cell phone carriers offer wireless 3G and 4G service for phones and computers. Two completely different animals.
They are indeed different "animals". However, your info is out of date.

XFINITY® Internet 2go: Mobile Internet from Comcast (http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/xfinity/wireless-mobile-broadband.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: