Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM

205 posts, read 389,107 times

Advertisements

The housing market does not seem to like naples right now...

housing-markets-collapse-2012-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I did not buy in Naples to sell or rent. I bought to live there and enjoy. I'll let those who will benefit from my will worry about property values after I am gone......

Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 AM

256 posts, read 745,301 times
There seems to be some refutation of that in today's Daily Snooze. Realtors say Naples market stable; financial website predicts local housing collapse » Naples Daily News

Just looking around, to me, there seems less for sale in the City of Naples and along the coastal areas of Collier.

I'm betting that the value depreciation if it occurs will be East of I75.

Either way, it's still a buyers market.

Beth

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,297 times
Realtors ALWAYS say the market is stable.

1. Naples, Florida
Expected price drop: -16.6%
Median family income: $62,800 (137th highest)
Unemployment rate: 10.5%
Median home price: $225,000 (40th highest)
Projected to hit lowest level: Q4 2012
Like much of southwest Florida, Naples was one of the fastest-growing communities in the country as it prepared for the millions of baby boomers on the cusp of retirement. When the housing bubble burst, however, the thousands of construction projects for condominiums and retirement communities were halted or lost money, and home values plummeted. From peak home value in 2006, prices dropped by 55%. They are expected to keep falling through next year more than any major city in the country. By Q1 2012, home values will drop an additional 16.6%, or nearly $40,000.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Well it is hard to say. Yes, there has been less inventory available. Yes unemployment is high and so is COL compared to many other areas. The rest of the economy could easily be a mess for a long time creating systemic issues.

The unknown is how many homes are underwater. Maybe this info is somewhere. I have seen houses that are in foreclosure limbo. Meaning abandoned, but not foreclosed officially. Who knows how many. Unfortunately it takes no time of them being vacant to be trashed. I think many are still artificially inflated so if there is a correction, it only means so much.

That article isn't saying, much though.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Fwiw, the latest issue of Bloomberg Biz Week has an art. on 'debt', and per CoreLogic, the US has 23% of morts underwater...NV led with 63%, AZ 2nd with 50%+, and FL was third with just under 50%. No stats by city or 'area'.

The problem is not going away, with current high unemployment and, despair with the economy, and the various levels of gov't.

Like the poster tmozer above, I bought our joint in 2005, to spend winter seasons in, paid cash, and it may or may not be currently worth what I paid. The heirs can worry about that. But, for JoeSixPack, it is a real problem, in SW FLA, and everywhere else, imo.
GL, mD

Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah, it is surprising that so many in fl are underwater after all that has already happened.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Mone` View Post
There seems to be some refutation of that in today's Daily Snooze. [url=http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/aug/12/realtors-say-naples-market-stable-financial-websit/]Realtors say Naples market stable; financial website predicts local housing collapse » Naples Daily News[/url]

Just looking around, to me, there seems less for sale in the City of Naples and along the coastal areas of Collier.

I'm betting that the value depreciation if it occurs will be East of I75.

Either way, it's still a buyers market.

Beth
You always mention the "City of Naples" vs everywhere else. I worked in Naples for many years and even the millionaires I knew in Port Royal didn't feel the need to continually draw this line of distinction. There are many gorgeous, upscale communities "East of I-75." It's not as if a place like Fiddler's Creek is exactly a hellhole.

Anyway, there are thousands of properties on the market, including foreclosures, pretty far west of the interstate including neighborhoods in Grey Oaks, The Moorings, Pelican Marsh, Mediterra and Olde Naples. In Park Shore alone there are over 200 active listings.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Also, I noticed a dead stop on inventory of foreclosures in certain areas and then other areas listed. This happened right on season. So I don't doubt the banks have a big say so on what they put up, how fast they foreclose etc... The states are trying to make deals w/ banks to wipe the foreclosure mess under the carpet. Some banks are actually bulldozing properties in areas to reduce inventory. They get money and write offs for doing so.

Unfortunately, like many other people I think we have a long way to go for recovery and all of these markets are tied together globally w/ derivative products. So going into 2012 and down the road there is bound to be many more bumps.

With the push to kill govt benefits (ala S&P debt charade), high unemployment, huge trade gap, no job creation things are going to be a big mess for a long time.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
This month another article about Naples was published.

[url=http://www.news-press.com/article/20110821/RE/110820013/Gloomy-housing-forecast-challenged]Gloomy housing forecast challenged | The News-Press | news-press.com[/url]

"Hardest hit, he said, will be homes going for $750,000 to $2 million."

I think the report might be using the data posted by the OP. However, I am responding to the comments that imply the lower cost homes will be the ones affected by this decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: