U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,116 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both are professionals and we have two young children. I have to make a decision as to whether to move to Naples or the Ft. Lauderdale area (Boca, coral springs). I have seen the posts regarding Naples but they are all older. I am wondering what Naples is like for a young family in 2012. Would you recommend moving there?

Our job situation in Naples is great and the people we work with would have young families. However, I'm trying to get an idea of what the overall feel of the area is.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM

3,744 posts, read 7,151,908 times
I have a 2 year old and I find plenty to do. Luckily they are opening a fantastic children's museum this month it looks like it's go na be so much fun for the kids with plays and mazes etc. Just google Naples Children's Museum. It's also rights across the street from our water park . If that's not your thing we have Germaine Arena right up the road in estero (15mins highway drive) where they frequently put on Disney on Ice, The Wiggles, Sesame Street Live etc. Also it hosts various concerts for adults including Elton John who is making his second visit shortly. Ft. Myers has the imaginarium . Naples also has the Naples zoo which hosts a variety of animal shows, nature walks and the first Sat of every month is free to Collier Residents. Across the street from that is an extremely large multimillion dollar skate park that hosts skate shows (incase you have a boy who would be I treated in that) if all else fails we have the beach, free concerts in Cambier Park, the snow festival, fourth of July parade etc. This weekend is the Greek festival, last was the German festival . Ft. Myers also hosts the sand sculpting festival. Oh and the Conservancy has lots of boardwalks and a children's touch tanks, and the Naples botanical gardens have a children's water play park and butterfly house.

If all else fails there is the beach free to collier residents who get the parking sticker at the DMV all others pay. The gulf is much much nicer than the Atlantic our eaters sptrnd to stay MUCH warmer ( it's in the 70's ish right now) and tend to stay calmer which makes for easier swimming for the tiny ones.

I find Naples to be VERY clean our medians are well kept and overall safe. ( of course there is crime everywhere) m not sure where you will be working but I recommend North Naples. We have plenty of shopping of all sorts ( just opened the first Trader Joes in Fla today) and lots of restaurant options. A lot of people want to trash Naples ( I did at one point and realized I was just being an unhappy person) but honestly you can't beat it IMO. I avoid the east coast if at all possible it's a very different feel .

We do have traffic build up in the winter months but honestly that's all of Florida because it's winter up there and perfect down here. I would highly consider it from on parent to the next. We also have a lot of options for schooling private public and montessori. I'm sure the kids would love to be water babies year round mine practically lives at the beach in winter and water park in summer. Gl with your choices

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM

47 posts, read 146,964 times
youngfamily1,

I agree with Sweetbottoms that there are some nice things for children, but how many times can you go to the zoo or the Germain Arena to watch a Sesame Street show? Not many and not too often. We have very nice parks, but forget going during the summer, I have a two year old and in no time, she's as red as a beet. The temperatures/humidity are unbearable, so summers are spent inside with nothing much to do. I don't think the beaches are as beautiful as people say, I've seen much nicer in Europe or in Clearwater/St. Petersburg (near Tampa), besides, the summer temperatures will make you stay away.

The Naples mentality is something else, I think everything is catered to the rich, seasonal people that come and stay here between October and April. They congest our roads by going 20 mph under the speed limit, in the left lane, pointing out every palm tree or shopping center. Forget going to Costco unless you go when it opens or just before it closes. Every blue hair leaves his/her cart in the middle of the isle and crowds around the free sample stand. I very rarely find friendliness in doctors' offices, you're treated like a number not a patient.

What they call "Naples Ambiance" is very artificial, there is not much natural beauty around. Most medians, lakes (in community developments) are pretty but man-made.

Naples is pretty much geared towards vacationers, retirees and wealthy residents. The concert at Cambier Park (mentioned by Sweetbottoms) was populated by nothing but old people. So, everywhere you go, the median age is probably about 60. These people do not appreciate children, hence their "no children allowed" communities and dirty looks at restaurants.

I've lived in Naples since 1995 and can't wait to get out of here. I hate to sound negative, but it's my opinion. I'm sure you'll like it after you first move here, but you may get tired of it very quickly. I wouldn't buy a house right away, rent and make your decision once you've lived here for a while.

Best of luck.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra1981 View Post
youngfamily1,

I agree with Sweetbottoms that there are some nice things for children, but how many times can you go to the zoo or the Germain Arena to watch a Sesame Street show? Not many and not too often. We have very nice parks, but forget going during the summer, I have a two year old and in no time, she's as red as a beet. The temperatures/humidity are unbearable, so summers are spent inside with nothing much to do. I don't think the beaches are as beautiful as people say, I've seen much nicer in Europe or in Clearwater/St. Petersburg (near Tampa), besides, the summer temperatures will make you stay away.

The Naples mentality is something else, I think everything is catered to the rich, seasonal people that come and stay here between October and April. They congest our roads by going 20 mph under the speed limit, in the left lane, pointing out every palm tree or shopping center. Forget going to Costco unless you go when it opens or just before it closes. Every blue hair leaves his/her cart in the middle of the isle and crowds around the free sample stand. I very rarely find friendliness in doctors' offices, you're treated like a number not a patient.

What they call "Naples Ambiance" is very artificial, there is not much natural beauty around. Most medians, lakes (in community developments) are pretty but man-made.

Naples is pretty much geared towards vacationers, retirees and wealthy residents. The concert at Cambier Park (mentioned by Sweetbottoms) was populated by nothing but old people. So, everywhere you go, the median age is probably about 60. These people do not appreciate children, hence their "no children allowed" communities and dirty looks at restaurants.

I've lived in Naples since 1995 and can't wait to get out of here. I hate to sound negative, but it's my opinion. I'm sure you'll like it after you first move here, but you may get tired of it very quickly. I wouldn't buy a house right away, rent and make your decision once you've lived here for a while.

Best of luck.
Can't say I've EVER had an experience of someone telling me to leave a resturant or give me dirty looks with my daughter. I do frequently have old people come and chat about their grandchildren while playing with my daughter. So what if the concert had old people very rarely do I come across one that is completely rude but thats every city that you find rude people. The traffic is annoying sometimes yes, however I just recently drove back from Jacksonville through I4 and hit orlando at rush hour. Forget it we were dead stop on I4 for at least 25 mins before we rolled barely over 35 for another 20 after that just to get past the city.

How many times can you go ice skating, see shows, beaches, pools, parks etc? I dunno how much does your child enjoy it? My daughter greatly enjoys the parks, the water, the beach etc. I go for her enjoyment not mine as long as she enjoys it I go. I'm very excited about the new children's museum opening its going to have lots of activities for the kids. How many times can you go to the zoo? I dunno I go once a month when Collier residents get in free. We enjoy the shows and get our fill of lions and tigers.

What makes going to the zoo or seeing a show in Orlando different that Naples? Will they get sick of the zoo less in Orlando than in Naples? Perhaps Sesame Street will be better seen 3 times in Orlando before it gets old as opposed to only being seen once in Naples before its old.

Everything you've mentioned about croeded parking lots, leaving carts in the aisles etc are all problems of ever city, you have yet to really point out anything specific just to Naples that they won't encounter in Orlando. You think tourists are bad here? HAAAA! Whats in Orlando? Disney, Universal , Sea World. You'll be fighting tourist traffic year round there. Think they're not lost on I4 there trying to point out palm trees and Mickey? You're outta your mind if you think that just happens here

Everything is artificial and man made? Do you think Orlando "ambiance" was just laid out like that with nature knowing it'd be the EPICENTER of tourism for Fla? How real can ambiance get dining with a mouse?

I've been here since 83, can't wait for the people who hate it to leave so they can stop b****ing about things that are relevant to every city in america but wanna only blame naples..

Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM

47 posts, read 146,964 times
Sweetbottoms,

Relax, I wasn't attacking your comment, I was simply expressing my opinion about Naples. I really don't care what happens in Orlando, the topic of the thread is Naples.

I'm glad you like living in Naples, unfortunately it's not for me for many different reasons.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM

100 posts, read 281,920 times
My wife and I moved to Naples (Golden Gate Estates specifically) not too long ago and absolutely love it (we're in our early 30's). There's plenty of younger folks here and lots to do. We use meetup.com a lot to find people our age who have like interests. We looked at moving to the east coast of Florida and there was no way I'd raise a family there.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
My wife and I moved to Naples (Golden Gate Estates specifically) not too long ago and absolutely love it (we're in our early 30's). There's plenty of younger folks here and lots to do. We use meetup.com a lot to find people our age who have like interests. We looked at moving to the east coast of Florida and there was no way I'd raise a family there.
East coast is just gross. Completely different feel and much more crime. I dread even hearing the words Miami forgeT driving there. I feel dirty just driving through lol. Plus you can't beat gulf water it's wonderful

Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM

146 posts, read 306,639 times
I've lived in many places in the world, in the US and in Europe. You could not pay me a million dollars a year to live on the east coast anywhere near Ft. Laud or Miami. I cringe if I have to go to the airport there. I raised my two children in Naples. They went on to college, both on scholarships. I wouldn't hesitate to choose Naples again to do it all over again. There is NO perfect place, but the pros here far outweigh the cons. The population is getting younger.
TL

Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 28,905 times
I grew up just north of Naples in Bonita Springs. I'd suggest Bonita over Naples because Collier County has a lot more rules and regs, and you get the best of Naples and Ft. Myers in one living in Bonita. Plus in all the years living there, we never really had any problems with the hurricanes like you do on the east coast... And it's close enough to all the hot tourist spots to get there within a few hours and far enough away you don't have to deal with all the craziness of living in Disney's backyard.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 30,243 times
Both Southwest Florida and Fort Lauderdale have their good and bad. Naples is a smaller town, with smaller problems, but Fort Lauderdale isn't a single location either. By moving to "Fort Lauderdale" you could live in one of 83 communities, with different types of living in each.

Likewise, in Naples you'll find areas that cater to one type or another. A number of areas are extremely family oriented, others are not. There are restaurants where kids go, there are restaurants where they normally do not. There are parks and beaches and entertainment for kids in both areas. There is poverty and drugs and poor schools in both (though less in Naples).

If it's an indication, Collier County (Naples) does not have topless bars or strip clubs. Fort Lauderdale does.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples